Done with Electronic Musician magazine

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2009/03/06 17:18:59 (permalink)

Done with Electronic Musician magazine

I've been a subscriber to this mag for many years, but over the last year or so, it seems to have gone way downhill. I get the latest edition and find that I can read the whole thing in about 10 minutes or so because there is nothing of interest to me in it. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same experience. As for me, once my subscription runs out, I'm gonna subscribe to Sound on Sound which looks like a great mag.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

5 Replies Related Threads

auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: Done with Electronic Musician magazine 2009/03/06 17:27:18 (permalink)
    I still think the best is Tape Op. (and its free too)

I recently subscribed to SOS and I am fairly underimpressed.
    (I almost forgot I subscribed and then 12 weeks later an issue appeared)

I am sure you will get lots of contrary opinions, but for me SOS is not worth the money.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Done with Electronic Musician magazine 2009/03/06 17:39:34 (permalink)
    Nope.... can't say as I do. I don't subscribe to any of the music mags....

I used to have a Guitar Player mag subscription.... but I let it expire for similar reasons.... basically the SOS over and over again..... it started about guitars and the gear... but soon it was more about the disfunctional idiots behind the guitars and their lifestyles.....

no thanks....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Done with Electronic Musician magazine 2009/03/06 17:47:36 (permalink)
    I had a subscrioption to EM and found the same thing Dave. Similar for Recording too but not quite as bad. Too many ads and reviews for my taste.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Done with Electronic Musician magazine 2009/03/06 18:56:53 (permalink)
    Borders and Barnes and Noble.
    Hate to say it, but because most of the magazines have bad habits of bending their reviews in favor of their sponsors (which is everybody they review), and because they're usually 30% ads anyway, I just read what I (rarely) like there.

I will occasionally buy the Computer Music Specials, even though they're sometimes of limited value.
    I have the Ableton Live one. It's ok.
    I have the Logic Pro one. It's so, so.
    Or is it the other way around?
    They have one now on digital mixing that I'll check out and pick up if it looks ok. I'd buy it outright if the other 2 had been stellar, but they weren't.

And, like somebody mentioned, I don't really want to read about OTHER people who use this or that, unless they're teaching me something. Probably 1/4 of each of the CM specials is interviews. Umm. I already USE the app, and don't need to be sold, and I'm not the type that reaches for famous people in order to make me feel good about my purpose (you know: is this "really" a pro app?). I'd rather have 1/4 more stuff about the app, perhaps the deeper stuff, which they never seem to cover.

To be honest, I'm not much for print media anymore. I rarely read past the initial reading anyway, so it seems relatively wasteful, if not fully so.
    E-subscriptions would be of interest to me, and in fact I MIGHT get the SOS one just for the articles I can't access there for free. But only for a year.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/03/06 19:05:39
    space_cowboy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Done with Electronic Musician magazine 2009/03/06 22:26:00 (permalink)
    I had a post on this topic too a few weeks back. Tape Op and SOS are all for me now. I used to subscribe to ALL of them - eq, mix, em, fm, sos, guitar player, keyboard.... killed everything except sos. Tape Op is free but it is a great mag.

I actually keep most of my old SOS. I bought all the back issues from 06 to 01 or something on CD Rom. I should get 07 and 08 and I could get rid of 50 lbs of mags.

I find old SOS to have lots of useful tips on compression, mixing vocals, di + miced bass... And the reviews of hardware are handy if you find a bargain on ebay. Nice to know what you get ahead of time.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1