Don't know how to Use Alesis Dm8 Drum Module Sounds in Sonar Professional

Author
kellyweaver
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2017/09/07 04:25:43 (permalink)

Don't know how to Use Alesis Dm8 Drum Module Sounds in Sonar Professional

So I have a now gotten new sonar professional! Love it so far. Love addictive drums also, and know how to use my Alesis Drum kit to trigger that. But HOW IN THE WOrld do you use the presets in the drum module and record them?
I have the Midi out on the module Run to A Usb MidiMan to connect to my pc.
And it shows on a midi channel its connecting but I don't see banks from sound module on drum set or anything and no sound. I have no idea how to connect. Map is not listed for Alesis DM8 But a bunch of other Alesis drums.
Thanks
Kelly

4 Replies Related Threads

Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Don't know how to Use Alesis Dm8 Drum Module Sounds in Sonar Professional 2017/09/07 09:11:19 (permalink)
    Hi, and welcome to this forum. If you wish to record the sounds in your E-drum kit, you will have to use the headphones out (or if there is a separate out, use that) of your kit, and into your Audio Interface / sound card.
    MIDI does not transmit sound, only data. 
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    Re: Don't know how to Use Alesis Dm8 Drum Module Sounds in Sonar Professional 2017/09/08 00:35:47 (permalink)
    A long time ago, I took the time to sample a whole Alesis DM5 drum module one at a time as a ton of wav file-ets.
    I stored them in a c:\samples folder. I used to use them a lot with the DR-008 sampler vst. Anymore with the session drummers that come with Sonar and the like, I only go for sounds that I know are in there and I need. Then I just apply them one of the drums or pads on a vsti so I can trigger them in the Piano View.

To do so I took the drum brain output and plugged it into a line in on the interface.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: Don't know how to Use Alesis Dm8 Drum Module Sounds in Sonar Professional 2017/09/08 02:48:35 (permalink)
    Ah the DR-008, I loved that plug!

But yes, as said above. Think of the Alesis unit as an external synth. You have to connect it with MIDI to control it and with audio to record it. Either direct in to your sound card or via a mixer so you can have control over it and other sounds. You can probably use Sysx to control presets in the Alesis from SONAR as well so you can change presets and save them per project and whatnot.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Unknowen
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re: Don't know how to Use Alesis Dm8 Drum Module Sounds in Sonar Professional 2017/09/09 01:28:47 (permalink)
    So you mean the drum module as the midi data or the drum sounds? It sounds like you want to trigger the drum module with sonar's midi data. and record it the module into Sonar.

So midi In and out, to and from your sound module. Normally you will use midi Channel 10 for drums.
    Once you plug your midi interface in the module and back to the computer you will need to add the module to Sonar under Edit / Preferences / midi device. select the module's in and out.
    You will need to run the audio outs from the drum module into an audio interface to audio tracks in Sonar.

So in Sonar you will have two track types Midi tracks for the midi data that go out on CH 10 into the module that triggers the module sounds that will play live as the data plays. You want to record the data onto an audio track that are set to the input audio from the module.

Well I hope that helps! :)

Hay look,
    Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1