Downloaded instrument definitions... now what?

Author
meredith
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2005/08/24 15:01:57 (permalink)

Downloaded instrument definitions... now what?

I downloaded instrument definitions off of the Cakewalk downloads page. They appear on my desktop as zip files, but double clicking will not open them. How do I access and use them?

Thanks a million.

Blessings to all

8 Replies Related Threads

millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Downloaded instrument definitions... now what? 2005/08/24 15:57:06 (permalink)
    You can't use them in Music Creator.

To access the files you need WinZip or a comparable program. Google it.

edit ----
    after mulling around with this one I remembered the following. It was for previously created instrument defs, but I supose it would work with the downloaded ones too. If you have the time ....

From the "Newbie Tutorials and Frequently asked questions" post:

Importing Instrument Definitions
    Can I import new instrument defs into music creator pro?
    Since no one has replied who has Pro I would assume that when Cakewalk says Music Creator can't import they mean all versions.

If you search the forum, Ish did find a way to get them into MC - it's a lot of work, but if you need it, I supose it is worth it.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/fb.asp?m=418860&key=
    Importing previous Cakewalk instrument definitions – Ish
    There is a way, but its a hack. I ran into this problem after taking the time to create an INS file for my QY100. MC DOES NOT provide the means to import it. Why would Cakewalk take this feature away is beyond me.

If you know the details of how to write an INS file you can do the following.

In the cakewalk MC installation directory there is a file called Master.ins This file hold all the instrument definitions for MC. Make a backup copy of this file (just in case). Open this master.ins with Notepad and open your ins file with Notepad. Cut and paste the sections in the correct places. Save the new master.ins file. The next time you startup MC your definitions should be listed.
    post edited by millerbill - 2005/08/25 01:12:44
    MusicLine
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Downloaded instrument definitions... now what? 2006/01/01 13:20:38 (permalink)
    In the cakewalk MC installation directory there is a file called Master.ins This file hold all the instrument definitions for MC. Make a backup copy of this file (just in case). Open this master.ins with Notepad and open your ins file with Notepad. Cut and paste the sections in the correct places. Save the new master.ins file. The next time you startup MC your definitions should be listed.

I've done this. Definitions in deed show up in the instruments list - that's fine. But, how do you switch between the banks? It seems that editing only master.ins won't do it. It appears to me that default.ins has something to do with it as well?

Has anyone managed to add an instrument to MC?

I can't beleive that Cakewalk decided to remove "Add/Remove Instrument" button that existed for years in old versions of HS and to put us through all this hassle....
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Downloaded instrument definitions... now what? 2006/01/01 21:37:37 (permalink)

. But, how do you switch between the banks?
    Try the Upper Menu Instert Bank/Patch Change. You can get more info in the help file.
    Has anyone managed to add an instrument to MC? None that I know of.

I can't beleive that Cakewalk decided to remove "Add/Remove Instrument" button that existed for years in old versions of HS and to put us through all this hassle....
    Welcome to the stripped down version of Cakewalk.

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Downloaded instrument definitions... now what? 2006/01/02 02:12:23 (permalink)
    No kidding, MC is a stripped down versiuon HS is an advance version in comparison

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    bilbo
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Downloaded instrument definitions... now what? 2006/07/20 19:21:58 (permalink)
    I've tried everything and I can't get past the first bank. As mentioned above, the difficulty is in getting to the subsequent banks - bank 0, no problem, beyond that ???
    post edited by bilbo - 2006/07/30 22:10:54
    dave sitting at home
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Downloaded instrument definitions... now what? 2006/07/20 23:55:11 (permalink)
    I tried that cut and paste job and it seemed to work. Now I've got psr-40 sounds which look the same as the psr-273 which is what I have. Cool, thanks!
    bilbo
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Downloaded instrument definitions... now what? 2006/07/22 08:43:27 (permalink)
    Dave - Are you able to switch to different banks in the track pane and then see a new set of patches for your hardware synth?

I was able to setup patches 0-127 in bank 0. I can't seem to sus out what code to use to tell MC that it's looking at bank 1.

Another item I find disconcerting - when I click on the bank# option in the track pane, it's default value is -1 (negative 1). I always thought bank numbering started at 0?
    post edited by bilbo - 2006/07/30 22:11:03
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Downloaded instrument definitions... now what? 2006/07/23 01:41:46 (permalink)
    This must be a hot topic: twenty-seven thousand hits?! That's more that the terms of service agreement. Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1