Dreams Can Come True (Pop)

Author
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
2011/01/26 21:29:29 (permalink)

Dreams Can Come True (Pop)

My wife and I were doing a bit of reminiscing this past weekend, when she remembered that the anniversary of our first date (way back in 1966) was coming up this February 18th.  Like most first dates it was a bit awkward -- I didn't have a car at the time, so we went to a campus movie.  However, things must have worked out because we are still together. 

Anyway, the discussion was a point of inspiration and the result is the song linked below.  By the way, the picture for the song on SoundClick is not an old picture of me on this date but to my warped perspective, does kind of look like how some of us might have felt on our first date, or going to the prom, or some other dating situation.

I am a believer that I can't "R & R" ('right and record) non-Blues, softer songs but I am stubborn enough to keep trying.  Therefore, cirit's, comments, and suggestions are always appreciated.

Dreams Can Come True
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=963481

Freddy J

28 Replies Related Threads

rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/01/26 21:59:54 (permalink)
    Hi Freddy. Great song. Even though I've only heard a few of your tunes it was interesting to hear you sing in this style. I think your vox work for this. Nice performance and clear recording. I love the story behind the song. I was born in 1966 so that's cool too. Also that pic on you site is dynamite.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/01/26 22:24:21 (permalink)
    Hey Freddy,
    Great song and the mix sounds GREAT also! In '66 I was dating the second love of my life....in the 2nd grade. 

String Jammer
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/01/27 15:54:36 (permalink)
    nice work Mr. Freddy. Say hi to the Mrs.:)

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/01/27 20:45:23 (permalink)
    Cool.  :-) 
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/01/27 22:44:24 (permalink)
    An alternative song with a slight 60's throw back.  I find it very interesting because it is quite different.  Kind of humorous lyrics.  I listened a couple of times and now I say it is a very nice song.
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/01/27 22:49:57 (permalink)
    Freddy, you always make me smile - this is fantastic.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/01/28 01:05:04 (permalink)
    wow, 1966 :-) This is a little different from you, yet some how the same? Not what I expected, I like it.  45 years :-) Wow, I can't find a woman who'll put up w/me for 45 minutes!

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Adji
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/01/28 06:55:30 (permalink)
    Cool man. Not particularly my thing but it has that tasty country twang, cool song. The only thing I don't like is that panning delay (or just alternating guitar parts) on the L and R of the stereo spectrum, I dunno, it is really distracting imo.
    No-one else seems to think so though, so it must just be me.

Cool tune man.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/01/28 11:26:30 (permalink)
    Freddy - if the song picture on Soundclick is you on your first date, you've definitely gotten cooler with age!

The bluuze is definitely your thang, but to me it doesn't seem unnatural to hear you do something like this style. The arpeggiated guitar makes me thing a little of early REM. I loved the BGVs and the spaces you left in the arrangement for the song to breathe. There are some parts where the vocals seem to lack a little confidence, where it didn't quite have the same conviction as the rest. Maybe just cuz you're out of your comfort zone a tad. But that's a minor crit - great job on this one! You've been knockin 'em out...
    Freddy J
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/01 13:17:22 (permalink)
    Thank you Rhynosynth.  1966 -- I feel so old, but I must have been very young at the time :>)  Thanks also for noticing the picture.  My son did up that picture for me.

Thanks for the good words Scotty.  1966 -- 2nd grade --- go ahead, rub it in.

Hi Tim.  Thanks for commenting and the Mrs. (AKA Lady J) says hey back to you.

Thank you Janet!

Hi Vicente.  Thanks for the feedback.  I was trying to capture an old feel with the lyrics and melody and new twist with the rest of the stuff.  I hope it worked.

Hi Mark.  I glad that you liked it and thanks a million for the kind words.  I've really enjoyed the collab's that you have been involved in recently.

Hello Robby.  Thanks for listening and commenting.  Yup, almost 43 years of marriage.  I have a very patient and understanding wife.

Hi Adam.  I appreciate the feedback.  Thanks for listening.

Hey Mark.  Thanks very much for the feedback.  The vocals might have been tentative because instead of talkin' the Blues I had to try and carry a melody.  Melody --- so, its not all rhythm -- what an interesting concept.  Thanks again.

Freddy J

BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/02 09:59:21 (permalink)
    excellent song very, very cool guitar  riffs  + + + 1
    Strummer07
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/02 10:18:36 (permalink)
    Lovely song FreddyJ and a nice tale to go with it !!

43 years married is quite an innings too
    Like the guitar solo and like the repetitive 'chiming' guitar sounds ... gives it a nice atmosphere

The mix sounds great to me, clear and well defined  ( I'm not really qualified to comment on that aspect (yet!) )
    a good listen !!
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/04 15:11:46 (permalink)
    arrrr....cant get to the link!!..

have ta try later...
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/04 15:18:07 (permalink)
    Wow...I am back watching American Bandstand...That is what this reminds me of!
    Thanks for the memories...

Nice song!  I like the 60s guitar vibe.  Would have been cool if the background guitar was a 12 string like the Byrds used!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    thepogue
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/04 15:26:07 (permalink)
    Freddy...cool tune and congrates on your anniversary...I think I'd pop a lil vrb on the vox but beyond that its a cool tune..love the guitar work...
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/04 15:48:13 (permalink)
    This is great Freddy! I need one for my gal too.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/04 15:50:49 (permalink)
    I have a country tune I put together but there's no vocals. Maybe I should fix that.
    post edited by bayoubill - 2011/02/04 15:52:09

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

philz
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/04 16:49:21 (permalink)
    Nice tune and a good story line, Freddy.  I really liked the Byrds-ish guitar behind the track... sounded like a Rickenbacker.  Nice job.
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/04 18:09:46 (permalink)

Hey Freddy
          I thought I had commented on this but apparently not. I've had some physical
    conditions lately so they've got me a little bit out of whack. If it was the "pop" type
    of style/sound that you were going for I thought you did that very well. Reading your
    thread it seems that you feel that your gonna sound "blues" no matter what you do.

I think that you clearly establish the difference between "this piece" and your blues
    tunes. The arrangment and the playing of the guitar parts is very tasteful. It
    gives me a very radio friendly vibe to it. On one hand it might be called a dated
    sound, however these days I think that in some cases that there is such diversity
    songs, sounds and styles.

I could easily picture this as a song used in a commercial just to mention one thing.
    Largely because it is unique in a cool way. And it has a positive vibe to it.

very well done Freddy

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/04 18:15:12 (permalink)
    Great retro vibe, and song.

Agreed with Adji that the panning on the guitars was a bit distracting.   Maybe try moving both in a touch,.

Anyway, thanks for sharing,

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Freddy J
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/07 22:04:55 (permalink)
    Hi BIABDude.  Thanks a million for listening and the kind words.

Hello Barry.  Yup 43 years and we still get along!  Thanks for taking time to listen and for the feedback.  I look forward to you posting more songs on the forum.

Hi Tom.  I'm glad that you were able to get the link to work.  Thanks for the feedback.  I agree with you about the reverb but given my penchant for misuse of it, I got a wee bit shy about it.  I have to sneak back and try experimenting with it again.

Hey Pat.  I remember AB and also have some pleasant memories of it also.  If only I had a 12-string.  It is probably better that I don't though.  The 12 strings would confuse me too much, I have enough problems trying to manage 6 .

Hi Bill.  I'm glad to see you back on the forum. Thanks for the feedback.  Hey bring on the country, man, lyrics or not.  It is almost like instrumentals are a lost art form.  I really enjoyed the last song that you posted. 

Hey Phil.  Thanks for the good words.  Every once in a while, if I treat her really nicely, my old Oscar Schmidt- Delta King will make me sound as if I actually can play.  If I tell her that she sounds like a Rickenbacker that ought get me a lot of points with her.    Yes, I do talk to my guitars but fortunately, they have not talked back yet.

Hi Jimmy.  I really appreciate your taking the time to listen and respond.  I always value your input.  I can't help myself from going back in the alley to try and get some of the old sounds.  Probably because I am old   ------   but I was a young sponge back then and that was when I was discovering music and was soaking up all the different sounds that I could. 
    I sincerely hope that things are working out for you.  You are in our prayers and you have to fight hard and get well soon because we all want to hear the new songs that you will be posting on this forum when you're better.

Thanks Mathew.  I'll go back and fiddle around with the panning and see if that helps.  Thanks again.

Freddy J

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/07 22:38:18 (permalink)
    Hey Freddie. I just saw this, I missed it when you first posted it.

I like it. I think the guitars sound ok hard panned like that, but I'm a big fan of that type of panning. ;) To me it makes mixes much more interesting.

The only thing I noticed was the vocals seemed a bit low in the beginning but seemed to come up as the song progressed. Or maybe it was my imagination?

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    listen
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/08 08:38:42 (permalink)
    Bub

Hey Freddie. I just saw this, I missed it when you first posted it.

I like it. I think the guitars sound ok hard panned like that, but I'm a big fan of that type of panning. ;) To me it makes mixes much more interesting.

The only thing I noticed was the vocals seemed a bit low in the beginning but seemed to come up as the song progressed. Or maybe it was my imagination?

Hey Freddie,

If I had it a critique it would echo Bub: vocals seemed a bit low in the beginning...

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    peterdell
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/09 08:48:05 (permalink)
    All the parson to have a one of the dream. Some parson to his dream complied and other parson to wait his dream complied. So I also have to dream to my national team to win the world cup. So I have to all the time to my team to win the world cup to daily pray to my god.

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/09 16:55:09 (permalink)
    peterdell

All the parson to have a one of the dream. Some parson to his dream complied and other parson to wait his dream complied. So I also have to dream to my national team to win the world cup. So I have to all the time to my team to win the world cup to daily pray to my god.

Mmmm. Thought I'd already commented on this one a coupla days ago..... not to worry....

Not sure I can put it so elequently as this guy, but FWIW I thought that it sounded pretty good except for the vox being maybe a little dry overall and a little quiet early on in particular - otherwise I think the jobs a good 'un. ;)
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/09 17:03:06 (permalink)
    I liked it.
    Freddy J
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/13 21:11:49 (permalink)
    Hi Bub!  I'm glad you liked it.  I did have it panned kinda hard and I must admit that I do prefer songs that way.  You must be right about the vocals because a couple of others commented on that.  I'll have to go back and do a tweek.  Thanks for the input.

Hi Listen and thanks for listening.  You're right about the vocals.  I was trying to get them to build but I guess I missed the mark.  I appreciate the feedback. 

Hey Peter.  Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment.

Hello Paulo.  You were very elequent in your comments and feedback :>) thanks!  You're not the only one to comment on the vocals  ---- so, I have some corrections to make.  Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Hey there Bapu!  Thanks a bunch for listening and commenting.  I'm glad you liked it.

Freddy J

tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:Dreams Can Come True (Pop) 2011/02/14 08:11:31 (permalink)
    It is always awesome to hear someone who found the person for them and continue to find their happiness with them. 

On the song, I felt as if the guitar effects were a bit too much almost giving a pumping sound through large parts of the song that made it a bit distracting.  Also, I'd like to hear a bit more bass guitar (possibly by cutting some of the lower mid frequencies on the guitars to give it space).

Lastly, if you can add a bit of highs to the overall mix to open it up a bit.  I use a UAD plug called Neve 88RS which has a nice preset called "Hi-end Sparkle".  I like to add this just to give it a bit more air.  I usually apply it as a separate bus and add it as a send and dial in just enough until it doesn't sound harsh.

Now, please don't take anything as a criticism of the song as it I liked it very much.  Just trying to provide you with some mix ideas that I think can really help.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1