Drive letter assignment problem

Author
twaddle
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1967
2009/02/21 09:52:19 (permalink)

Drive letter assignment problem

I 'm posting a new post here in relation to my last post.
I'm trying to re-label one of my drives in place of another and have hit a big problem.

The drive that had previously been used to store my data was labeled "E"
So I labeled it "K" (No reason) but had to reboot before it would take effect.
So I did with the intention of then re-labeling my new drive (where I had copied all my audio data) to be the new "E".
But when I tried to assign the new letter there was no "E". The drop down list started at "F"
This doesn't make sense. None of my other drives use the letter "E" so why isn't "E" in the list.
I'm about to go into panic mode as the thought of re-installing all those drums again isn't an attractive proposition. Especially on a sunny day like today. ; - ((
Steve

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
12GB Corsair DDR3 
1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
Emu- 0404 PCIe 
Sonar X1d Expanded
BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit

5 Replies Related Threads

eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Drive letter assignment problem 2009/02/21 09:57:38 (permalink)
    That's odd, I've done that many times and I'm alway presented with the complete list to choose from; from A ... Z exclusive of currently assigned drive letters. I just tried the Disk Management plug-in on this old Kitchen laptop and saw the same behavior. The list of available drive letters was huge, only a A through D were excluded!
    post edited by eric_peterson - 2009/02/21 10:05:01
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: Drive letter assignment problem 2009/02/21 10:05:25 (permalink)
    Presumably you were using some sort of disk management software for this? Something like Disk Director or the Windows Disk Management tool? If not you've just found out what those tools are for and I'd load one of them up and do everything from there.

If you did use such a tool, I'd reload that and initially put everything back the way it was, reboot and then try again.
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    RE: Drive letter assignment problem 2009/02/21 10:08:09 (permalink)
    ... when I tried to assign the new letter there was no "E". The drop down list started at "F"
    This doesn't make sense. None of my other drives use the letter "E" so why isn't "E" in the list.

It might be assigning a drive letter to something connected via USB. Try uplugging all USB connections before booting.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    twaddle
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1967
    RE: Drive letter assignment problem 2009/02/21 10:59:14 (permalink)
    Right Thanks to all above but I've finally sorted it.
    First I thought it was Nero. I could see in windows explorer that there was a virtual drive labeled "D"
    but it didn't show up in windows disk management.
    That was why I couldn't re-name my data drive so I un-installed Nero which takes almost as long as
    it does to install.
    Didn't work though. Then I remembered a program I installed a long time ago and only ever
    used it the once, called Magic ISO. This seemed to be the culprit and after re-booting I was able to
    change the drive letter.
    I'm really pissed though, I've wasted half the afternoon on this and now I'll have to re-install Nero.
    Oh well, such is life.
    Steve.

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
    Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
    12GB Corsair DDR3 
    1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
    Emu- 0404 PCIe 
    Sonar X1d Expanded
    BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
    Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Drive letter assignment problem 2009/02/21 13:25:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: twaddle

Right Thanks to all above but I've finally sorted it.
    First I thought it was Nero. I could see in windows explorer that there was a virtual drive labeled "D"
    but it didn't show up in windows disk management.
    That was why I couldn't re-name my data drive so I un-installed Nero which takes almost as long as
    it does to install.
    Didn't work though. Then I remembered a program I installed a long time ago and only ever
    used it the once, called Magic ISO. This seemed to be the culprit and after re-booting I was able to
    change the drive letter.
    I'm really pissed though, I've wasted half the afternoon on this and now I'll have to re-install Nero.
    Oh well, such is life.
    Steve.

Been there and done that.
    With me it was Alcohol which created a virtual drive and I had forgotten about it.

Not wasted though, you have just helped the next poor soul who is suffering with the same problem!

Glad you got it fixed!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1