Drive

Author
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
2018/11/16 19:26:50 (permalink)

Drive

[ FoggyMind The Band ] Keely Lane did most of this, I wrote lyrics and popped them into the backing tracks, My pitchy vocals (as planned) and I did the buried leads. Mixed and mastered by me. Issues? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=R6dxptAl_Ek

Thanks!
post edited by FoggyMindTheBand - 2018/11/18 22:23:51

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019

13 Replies Related Threads

Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Drive 2018/11/16 23:31:18 (permalink)
    Enjoyed hearing this one very much. I can't help you on the mix, because I'm trying to figure that stuff out myself, although I really like your vocals and style on this song. Maybe raise the vocals a bit and get some of the air sound of it, not sure how you do that, maybe someone could chime in and help on that. It's really hard to hear some of your vocals and words on the verse at times, I can't really make them out at times. 

I wanted to say, as for your lyrics on this song, just a suggestion on the lyrics that I think would make it more interesting. You say in the song "All I want to do is Drive" and after that rather than saying "Take a little Drive", maybe say "Take a little Ride, Take a Little Ride, Take a little Ride with me, oh what a journey". Makes more of a journey type of song for all instead of a solo trip. Just a suggestion and a thought. 

I really like this one a lot, never heard your music before but I enjoyed hearing this one very much. 

Keep on keepin' on! 

Bobby

post edited by Serious_Noize! - 2018/11/17 00:03:18

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Drive 2018/11/17 01:10:50 (permalink)
    Mix wise I could not hear the vocal. Listening on Sennheiser HD600 headphones.

The backing tracks are well done. 

This feels like a song that the vocals should be right up front in your face to get the message/story on first listen.
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: Drive 2018/11/17 16:24:48 (permalink)
    Bapu's right, where is the vocal?

T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: Drive 2018/11/17 20:00:31 (permalink)
    This has a nice catchy feel to it!  I like your delivery on the vocals and agree with the comments above that they should be brought out front a bit more.  I don't believe that I have heard your music before but I do indeed like this one.  In a weird way I get a bit of a Car's feel to this.
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Drive 2018/11/18 15:45:22 (permalink)
    bapu

This feels like a song that the vocals should be right up front in your face to get the message/story on first listen.

^^^ this.

The singer must have been a bad boy, 'cause he's banished to the stairwell. Free the Singer!!!

I liked it all the same. Wouldn't really change anything else in the mix, which is extremely good. I've rarely heard better control of hi hats and sweet jangly guitars.

The end fades out too quick. Why even have a fade ?

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Unknowen
    Re: Drive 2018/11/18 22:04:25 (permalink)
    Serious_Noize!
    Enjoyed hearing this one very much. I can't help you on the mix, because I'm trying to figure that stuff out myself, although I really like your vocals and style on this song. Maybe raise the vocals a bit and get some of the air sound of it, not sure how you do that, maybe someone could chime in and help on that. It's really hard to hear some of your vocals and words on the verse at times, I can't really make them out at times. 

I wanted to say, as for your lyrics on this song, just a suggestion on the lyrics that I think would make it more interesting. You say in the song "All I want to do is Drive" and after that rather than saying "Take a little Drive", maybe say "Take a little Ride, Take a Little Ride, Take a little Ride with me, oh what a journey". Makes more of a journey type of song for all instead of a solo trip. Just a suggestion and a thought. 

I really like this one a lot, never heard your music before but I enjoyed hearing this one very much. 

Keep on keepin' on! 

Bobby

Thank you! :) Your complement to change in the lyrics would work grate! Though at the time, more less a year ago...   The lyrics are within my style at the time. I pick the words more as the cadence withing the meaning and my mood. :) 

Just as a note... The lyrics are about not wanting to be... ? but to drive my own motivation hopefully to for each person to rise from there negative baggage and drive there own soul and we can all ride together but as individual in peace. 

Hay look,
    Unknowen
    Re: Drive 2018/11/18 22:10:11 (permalink)
    bapu

HEY Bapu!
    Nice to hear from you! 
    Yes! I agree with you on the lyrics. lol But I can't help myself. ha!
    As they end up as they do, as more about the abstract art of it all, to pull up what I liked at the moment and if I liked the guitar then that over plays the words. It really is too funny that I can't mix it better. I really don't even know if it's a choice or an excuse.
    Thankyou!
    Peace my friend!!

Hay look,
    Unknowen
    Re: Drive 2018/11/18 22:23:32 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    bapu

^^^ this.

The singer must have been a bad boy, 'cause he's banished to the stairwell. Free the Singer!!!

I liked it all the same. Wouldn't really change anything else in the mix, which is extremely good. I've rarely heard better control of hi hats and sweet jangly guitars.

The end fades out too quick. Why even have a fade ?

cheers,
    -Tom

This was 90% Keely Lane's Creation! I asked him what he was thinking when he brought the music to me. he said cars because he had just changed a tire... lol
    Keely is a great local drummer in the Twin Cities who is in at least 3 bands at anyone time. The way of who I am, wanting his music and drums to stand out as well as how I mix led to the outcome. So as I said earlier, I did lyrics, vocals and lead gtr, then more less buried them. ha!  I think many will understand this thinking, wrong as it my be. ha! 

Many thanks to all for the comments! 

Peace!

Hay look,
    Unknowen
    Re: Drive 2018/11/18 22:24:35 (permalink)
    Though YES! I am a BAD BOY! ;)

Hay look,
    thegaltieribrothers
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re: Drive 2018/11/19 11:26:23 (permalink)
    Nice song - lovely jangly guitars.

Nice sentiment about driving past your negative baggage.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

paul

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Drive 2018/11/19 15:27:47 (permalink)
    I haven't read any of the other comments. I think this has a vibe similar to Tom Petty.  The compo is well done. The mix seems a bit mid range heavy here. Great song aside from the mids I mentioned.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Drive 2018/11/20 12:10:52 (permalink)
    backing is really nice and tight but the vocals are buried and the reverb on them doesn't seem to fit with the backing.
    There's a great song in here with the right presentation
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Drive 2018/11/22 02:33:09 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    backing is really nice and tight but the vocals are buried and the reverb on them doesn't seem to fit with the backing.
    There's a great song in here with the right presentation

Ditto. Mix is fine otherwise, and it's a nice song too. Vox could use some lower mids as well as more volume. Good job!

Bill
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1