Driver & midi input issues with Sonar 7 and Vista

Author
Ruud333
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2008/10/26 17:43:06 (permalink)

Driver & midi input issues with Sonar 7 and Vista

Hi All

I just got a new Dell with (what I believe) to be a Realtek HD sound card - havn't really got to grips with Vista yet so not entirely sure of model etc. I'm trying out Sonar 7 Producer Edition, but when I start it up it tells me there is an "Audio Driver Error, The following driver(s) either do not support the current..." and then lists 8 Realtek HD Audio drivers that are apparently not working

Also, I'm unable to select any midi inputs or outputs when I go to the MIDI devices section in options - which I assume I need if I'm going to use VSTs like EZdrummer.

Has anybody got some tips or fixes? - they would be much appreciated!

5 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Driver & midi input issues with Sonar 7 and Vista 2008/10/26 17:50:50 (permalink)
    You are trying out Sonar? Is this the demo? You can't have MIDI devices unless you have MIDI devices. That means you need a MIDI interface with MIDI ports. The on board audio chip is for Media player not a multitrack audio sequencer like Sonar. The only thing you could do is run it in MME mode or some such but it will not give you good performance. Some have been able to use that chip with Sonar but its not recommended.

Best
    John
    Ruud333
    RE: Driver & midi input issues with Sonar 7 and Vista 2008/10/26 18:16:09 (permalink)
    I assume the version I have is a demo as it keeps prompting me to register and telling me I have X days before my trial is up - a friend of mine directed me to a page to download it originally. Sorry to be a total nub but what exactly do you mean by 'MIDI interface'? I used Sonar 4 on my old PC and that seemed to have lots of software midi inputs, I guess because I had quite a fancy soundblaster card.

EDIT: Switching to 'MME' has finally given me 'sound' when I playback audio tracks, as well as letting me play EZdrummer! Than you very much dude!
    post edited by Ruud333 - 2008/10/26 18:20:18
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Driver & midi input issues with Sonar 7 and Vista 2008/10/26 18:28:01 (permalink)
    [
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2008/10/26 18:32:45

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Driver & midi input issues with Sonar 7 and Vista 2008/10/26 18:29:15 (permalink)
    You don't need any MIDI hardware (MIDI interface) to use the softsynths in Sonar. It makes it a lot easier to play and record MIDI if you have a MIDI controller and a MIDI interface. These are really very basic things and is not the province of this forum to give a class on MIDI or how MIDI works. There are tons of places on the Cakewalk web site to get you started in this but be fore warned it took me years to fully understand MIDI. I have books on it and did a lot of research to bring myself to a point where I knew what I was doing. Sonar is not a simple program but no good sequencer is. You picked the top of the line CW product to get started and will take you a while to learn. Part of this will be learning the terms of computer based audio production. Then Sonar has its own terms for things. I don't want you to think it can't be done or its too hard its not. It does take time and effort.

Best
    John
    Ruud333
    RE: Driver & midi input issues with Sonar 7 and Vista 2008/10/26 20:24:38 (permalink)
    Thanks John - your pointers and advice are much appreciated! Looks like I'd better get reading
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1