Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MKS
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/05 09:14:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bmxplosive

ORIGINAL: Qwerty69

ORIGINAL: bmxplosive

Yeah a lot of what I read about BFD before this post did not seem too accurate. BFD allows you to do all that Jef said and more, including tuning the drums. IN addition as Jeff said you can route all teh mics out to SONAR very simply and make your own mix their or do it all in BFD. Besides that it comes standard with 5 kits with extension pack for a lot more.

Unless I am thinking something different, DFHS allows you to tune each drum also. There is a pitch knob where you can increase or decrease pitch. There is also a fade knob, where you can fine tune to cut off as much or as little of the drum's ring sustain. Someone mentioned BFD having a humanize feature too...DFHS has "Random" and "Alternate" options in which I believe change the velocity randomly and alternate which hands make the hits (L and R).

best,

Swaff

Wrong again. BFD also allows tuning of each kit piece, fade options and individual drum 'dampening' is being added in the soon to be released free update to v1.5. BFD also allows automatic velocity and timing randomisation.

Q.

Wrong again? I am confused? What did I say wrong first, and what was wrong second? I think you might have misunderstood my post. I was simply stating that DFHS has some of the same (or similar) features that someone else said BFD has. I wasn't saying BFD doesn't have those things, or that they are not as good as the ones in DFHS. Sorry if I offended you somehow, but I definitely wasn't saying anything negative to BFD.

Swaff

Gotta be careful. BFD users are rabid. They get pissy when they "think" people are putting down BFD.

If sound is important, I know for a fact DHFS will win every time but BFD still is much easier to use.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/05 15:54:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FwordNA

Hey jboy, are you talking about the sonar manual? what page? dkfh's help mostly concerns kompakt, which is way too complicated for me. but if there is a way i can create a drum kit in sonar, great. right now, when i load dkfh 2, it chokes my system, after making me wait, and telling me i'm running out of memory. i have 1 gig of ram -- sheesh, what does the program want?

Page 336 in my Sonar 4 manual---> "Creating and Editing a Drum Map".

The program is intended to run with the Direct-from-Disk functioning, not using RAM exclusively...you'll never get it to work that way, I'm afraid. Make sure you download the latest DFD patch from East-West first thing.

And make sure that the MIDI track outputs to your drum map; you do this by clicking the 'OUTPUT' drop down menu and selecting your drum map from the options in the menu that appears.

Good luck!
SurfingMusicMan
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/05 18:58:42 (permalink)
Gotta be careful. BFD users are rabid. They get pissy when they "think" people are putting down BFD.

If sound is important, I know for a fact DHFS will win every time but BFD still is much easier to use.

I love how fiercly loyal we get to our software. LOL

"I know for a fact???" I'm DFHS owner (and not a BFD owner), and to be honest I love DFHS. But, I think BFD is probably an outstanding product, and doubt that the sound it produces is, for a fact, inferior to DFHS.

Just my 2 cents...
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/05 20:20:50 (permalink)
I own DFHS but have to admit the BFD interface is way more eligant and intuitive.
bmxplosive
  • Total Posts : 369
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/05 22:21:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Middleman

I finally got the DFHS Rewire working which is a world better than the VST in Sonar. Add the M-Audio Trigger finger and you are not far from the real thing. Having a real drummer program takes it within 95% of real tracking in my opinion.

Anyone know why so many tracks are created using the Rewire plug in? I have sounded all the mics and drums and some of the created tracks seem to have no use.

I posted this question on the Toontrack forum and here is what jbraner said (he also posts on this forum regularly):

swaff,

Look in the back of the manual. Rewire uses outputs #0-13, and it tells you which is which. just set this up once, and save it as a template - then you can be set up for all future songs.

I guess this means you can delete all of the rewire tracks created except #1-13. I'm not sure why it creates so many outputs though. Maybe Rewire's standard maximum is 25 outs (or whatever the number that comes up) and it just creates the max. number instead of actually gathering how many the Rewire program needs.

Swaff
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/06 00:13:06 (permalink)
bmxplosive, thanks. Yes, I saw that post and went back to make up a template for Rewire as follows:

Inserted the DXI and the 25 tracks showed up. Then I turned off all the ambiance and tested each part of the drumset. As you pointed out only 13 of the 25 are actually used. Then I deleted the extra tracks, typed the name of each drum kit mic in the remaining tracks to give them real names versus port names. I really like the Rewire vs VST resizing issue. The only thing I don't like is having to jump back and forth from the Rewire DFHS because it runs as a separate program in Windows vs the VST staying in the Sonar main window. That gets to be a bit of a pain.

Otherwise, it works great.

Now my other pet peeve is in Sonar. I created a DFHS Note name template but Sonar will not remember to use it each time I open the project. I have to right click on the left of the Piano Roll view, click on "Use these note names instead" and call up my template each time I enter the Piano Roll. This is a major pain.
post edited by Middleman - 2005/06/06 00:16:00
7string
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/06 04:17:25 (permalink)
I just got both BFD & DFHS today.

They both seem great. I can't wait to figure them out.

BFD took like 15 min. to install 2 DVD's
DFHS took 2 hours +/- for 5 double sided DVD's
Tons of updates available for both programs.

DFHS has a new demo video has the best tone I've heard from either
so far. But, you can't lose with either program.

Pat
napsack
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/06 08:20:06 (permalink)
Page 336 in my Sonar 4 manual---> "Creating and Editing a Drum Map".

You may also want to check out EDrum Midi Mapper: http://www.chaoticbox.com/edrum_midi_mapper.php.

You would also need a virtual MIDI driver to use with it, I use Maple http://www.marblesound.com/Maple_driver.html.

This program runs separately from SONAR and maps incomming MIDI messages to whatever you want on the outbound virtual MIDI port. For whatever reason I prefer this method to Drum Maps, perhaps because it also has additional features such as mapping velocities to different notes, alternating hits (incase your sample doesn't provide this), supposed fixes for hihat issues with DFH2 (I haven't gotten this really working yet, but haven't spent much time on it), and an interesting velocity-fixing feature whereas you can calibrate your softest and hardest hits on your EDrums, and the mapper will map those velocities to the full 1..127 range. For instance my EDrums are set to where my softest hit registers like 100 for the velocity. I therefore miss out on all of the soft samples mapped to velocities 1..99. Kind of neat feature, haven't seen this program mentioned on the forums before.
pattfink
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/13 16:17:19 (permalink)
Perhaps someone can help me out here. I am having lots of problems with DFH2. The biggest problem is that I am unnable to download the update to the latest version of the bundled sampler (version 1.0.3). So far, tech support has been no help with this. Without the update the DFD extension is nothing but trouble, tons of ghost hits and lost sound. I am at my wits end here and feel like I spent a bunch of money (over $100.00) for more trouble than benefit. If anyone here happens to have the update patch available for download or could email it to me, I would certainly appreciate it.
SurfingMusicMan
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/13 17:18:07 (permalink)
I haven't had any trouble downloading updates from the DFH site. Regardless, before the updates I still didn't have trouble with ghost hits and lost sounds. If you are a new DFHS user, be aware that sometimes you have to play the song through once or twice cuz the sampler has to load the hits, and it doesn't do it until it comes to one in a song. Ie, it won't have the snare hit at velocity 90 loaded until it comes across one in the song, even if it already came across a snare hit at 95 (sometimes). I have to do this even with the latest updates.

Yes, its tedious, but worth the incredible sounds (imo).
MKS
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2005/06/13 18:38:14 (permalink)
You need to contact support directly. IMHO, I would assume you are trying to make use of a warez copy. Support is very speedy with their replies.

Perhaps your email is being blocked. Try to contact them with another email account such as yahoo or gmail.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
RE: Drum Kit From Hell vs. BFD Drums 2006/01/27 06:20:27 (permalink)
One thing that I have not seen discussed anywhere is this... is it possible to salvage the samples in either BFD or DFHS one day when the native software environment is obsolete. I don't like the idea of paying this much money for an instrument that will only last 3 years.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1