Helpful ReplyDrum Loops or Drum Programs?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JustGotPaid
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 628
2016/09/26 10:59:46 (permalink)

Drum Loops or Drum Programs?

It appears that most people who are serious about drums use the popular drum programs like EZ Drummer, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, Session Drums, etc. I have several of these two and have worked with them but I never was convinced that they sounded any better or were any better in other ways than good drum loops, such as Drums on Demand.
     Personally, I'm not a drummer and I'm not a programmer, and I've never really liked working with midi. I can't imagine ever working with the piano roll or drum maps, or anything above entry level use.  I'm not going to go in and adjust settings for each individual drum and mix them, and go to any kind of elaborate or even semi-elaborate procedure. All of that is its own specialty and art.
     We've always gotten a great tone with Drums on Demand, and other loops too, especially now that there are so many presets on reverb and EQ to really make them pop. I can't imagine any basic beat or drum part that a drum program can do that I can't find something exactly or very close to it on Drums on Demand. Some people have all the ability and patience to sit there and program drugs and work with maps and midi stuff, but that's just not me. However, I don't mind working with loops and even slicing and dicing them for different beats or patterns, fill, turnarounds, etc. that I need. 
     The friend I collaborate with the most also uses Sonar and various loops including Drums on Demand, and we're trying to keep as much as we can on our DAWs the same so we can swap projects back and forth if I want to add a guitar or he adds bass, or if either of us wants to tinker a little with the drum EQ or reverb. I don't see either of us ever getting seriously into drum programming or working with drum maps or a lot of midi.
     Finally, we're not trying to cut an album. We do home demos. We do this for fun, and we also pitch some of the songs in Nashville. No one has ever complained about the quality or sound of the drums or the song.
     That being said, is the main difference between midi and drum loops just in the work flow, or is there something significant -- not something minor -- that is better about programming drums? The Drums on Demand sound fine to me. I'm just not going to ever get into any kind of serious programming because I don't like it and I'm not good at it. And, I like to keep things as simple as possible.
     And lastly, if I want some fancy drum track that I can't achieve with loops I can get some friends in Nashville to do them in their home studios pretty cheap and they sound great. Today, especially with the variety and quality of triggered drum sounds, plus having a real drummer, I just can't see why I would need to spend time trying to learn midi drum programming.
    So, for my purposes as described, is there any real advantage of midi and programming over loops?
    Thanks!
DS

Sonar Platinum

Thatsastrat
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1267
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 11:20:00 (permalink)
Not if you have already decided that you would not benefit from there use. The reason that I like drum programs over loops is the ability to change the tones of the drums, by using different kits, or kit pieces to try to get close to how I imagine how I would like things to sound. You can not do the same with loops.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
TranceCanada
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 198
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 11:23:22 (permalink)
You're not wrong.  Drum loops are awesome and there is literally anything out there you could want to use.  But honestly the only real reason for programming your own drums is for the over all control you can get with each hit and each sound, and of course to say the line is your unique line, but if you're not interested in controlling every aspect of the drum line yourself then really there is no need to make it yourself.

I myself have not used drums loops too often because I like to mess around with the sounds and alter each hit and sound to fit my end goal, personally I use Session Drummer 3 cause it allows me to insert any drum hit I want and I do have a huge library of hits to choose from.  But I have, just this passed week starting looking into some of the many drum loops I also have and have been blown away with the ease of using them. 

Cakewalk: Sonar Platinum x64 (Lifetime), Producer X3e, Producer X2
Soft Synths: Z3TA+2, Rapture Pro, Xpand2, Serum
System 1: HP Envy23, Win10 x64, Core i7-3770 3.1Ghz, 8GB Ram
System 2: Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Win10 x64, Core i5-4300U 1.9Ghz/2.5Ghz, 4GB Ram
Audio: M-Audio M-Box Mini 2
Controllers: Edirol PCR-M80
dlion16
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 391
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 11:24:02 (permalink)
not only that, you can adjust midi, say, to get the kick to sync to bass.

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
TranceCanada
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 198
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 11:25:33 (permalink)
Thatsastrat
Not if you have already decided that you would not benefit from there use. The reason that I like drum programs over loops is the ability to change the tones of the drums, by using different kits, or kit pieces to try to get close to how I imagine how I would like things to sound. You can not do the same with loops.

Although now having Drum replacer altering loops in the same way is increasingly similar

Cakewalk: Sonar Platinum x64 (Lifetime), Producer X3e, Producer X2
Soft Synths: Z3TA+2, Rapture Pro, Xpand2, Serum
System 1: HP Envy23, Win10 x64, Core i7-3770 3.1Ghz, 8GB Ram
System 2: Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Win10 x64, Core i5-4300U 1.9Ghz/2.5Ghz, 4GB Ram
Audio: M-Audio M-Box Mini 2
Controllers: Edirol PCR-M80
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 11:45:27 (permalink)
I find EZD2 to be the best of both worlds.  Drag/drop in the EZD interface.  You never have to touch maps or PRV.  Plus you can tweak things inside EZD to balance levels for kit pieces and such.  That's if you use Toontrack MIDI, of course.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 12:52:15 (permalink)
Drum loops can actually sound better than these programs as they allow for a level of articulation not possible with MIDI systems.  (see the program "Drum Core" for evidence of this they offer loops and the midi equivalent of thousands of grooves - recorded from the same source.  The loops are more detailed in what they can sound like).  

However loops offer a workflow where you are basically stuck with what it is and it needs to be within a few BPM of your project if you want it to stay sounding great.  

Using drum loops tends to dictate to you what you will do, not the other way around and for a lot of people that is limiting when they are trying to create their own work.

Try taking a drum loop and creating a verse, chorus, bridge with some variation throughout.  That takes quite a bit of work, and luck to match a song that you wrote without using the loops.  

Drum loops can be fun and easy if you just want a static groove to jam over, I like them for that.  But if you are trying to create your own piece, that is where the MIDI based drum programs can really shine.  
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 13:05:33 (permalink)
     I've got an older version of EZ Drummer and a fairly new one of Superior Drummer. I've played around with them but I never programmed one complete song with them. It was fun going in to the mixer and changing tones and volumes, and also it was fun changing drum kits on most all of them these days, but I'm just not a drum nut and I never got fascinated by the endless things you could do. All it did was confuse me with too many options and I spent most of my time just trying things out rather than actually programming a song.
     I've got a friend who tinkers around with this a lot and every time I ask him, "That sounds good. What drums are those?" it's always Drums on Demand. I guess my ear just likes them. And I never heard a song done with Drums on Demand that I thought could have been improved if someone had just used midi drums and programmed them, tuned each drum a little differently, added a tiny thing here or there.
     I have an engineer friend in Nashville who set up my Superior Drummer a few years ago. It may have been the best sounding DAW drums I've ever heard, but of course he makes stuff sound good for a living. I also realized that it wasn't so much the drum program but rather the slap-back-echo, and EQ and Reverb he put on them. Without that, they wouldn't have sounded as good as raw Drums on Demand.        
     We're starting to add those sort of effects more to Drums on Demand and I think they sound great. I don't know how we can improve on it much, if any. The only advantage I saw then, and see now, is once my engineer friend got them set, he made a template that opened with those same settings every time. I might could do that with loops, but I also wonder to get if right if I'd have to add the effects every time.
     For what I'm doing it doesn't sound like I'll be improving much, if any, by changing from loops to midi. And I know it will be a lot easier, at least for me. I had a solid state Line 6 amp a few years ago when they were coming out with all the presets and gadgets. It has so many controls and then deep menus of all these presets to get certain sounds. It would have taken me hours and days to have gone through all that. It had so many options and menus that it was confusing. As they say, it sparked more heat than light. I finally got rid of all the solid state stuff and went back to my old tube amps and life simplified immediately, and sounded better too. I'm guessing that would also apply to the infinite way you could program and set up midi drums and patterns.
     Thanks for the input guys! Very interesting insights.
DS

Sonar Platinum

notscruffy2
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 13:12:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2016/09/28 09:24:48
Crowd Marketing?
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 13:16:32 (permalink)
Do the best of both worlds - Midi loops.  You don't have to program them, but you can interchange kit pieces, etc. to make them sound the way you want.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 13:19:25 (permalink)
I've done a few songs with drum loops. Mostly I use one of the many drum programs I have (EZD, Superior, BFD3, Steven Slate SSD, Addictive, Platinum Samples Accent, Jamstix and libs in Kontakt/EastWest) and I have used live drums and enhanced them with Slate's Trigger2 or Drumagog.

Loops felt the most limiting to me (as others have noted here).

But whatever works for the OP, bless his heart, he should keep doing what works for him.
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 13:27:00 (permalink)
I don't really understand using audio drum loops, especially if SD/EZD/AD etc are available.
They all have kit/mix presets so you don't have to nit-pick with settings if you don't want to.  Then you can feed MIDI clips from the various libraries.
To me that seems to be the same functionality as an audio loop, except that you can edit the notes if you want to.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 13:37:40 (permalink)
Like the OP says, you can slice and dice loops to build your own patterns, but I personally have never used loops, the PRV is so familiar and comfortable for me that I can't imagine doing it any other way, except for maybe hiring a drummer and telling him/her what to do. 

I guess it's all in what you're comfortable with. The better you know and understand a given tool or technique, the more the tools get out of your way and allow you to focus on the music. In that regard, if loops do it for you, that should be where you work. On the other hand, I suspect (but I don't know for sure) that MIDI gives you some capabilities that are harder to manage with loops.

For example, I think Addictive Drums for one is pretty smart about using different samples for the same piece of kit based on velocity settings, which is one area that I would think MIDI might be superior to loops. I monkey with velocity all the time and would miss that feature an awful lot if loops didn't allow me to do the same thing.
post edited by kevinwal - 2016/09/26 13:59:32

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 13:40:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2016/09/27 09:48:32
they are both just tools. use either or both. 
kitchen utensils are also good.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Brian Walton
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 13:47:04 (permalink)
Drums on Demand has some great sounding stuff (Billy Martin is my favorite drummer - and he created some of their content - such as the retro 60s loops).  However, I would think if I limited my music creation to their packs, it would be expensive pretty quickly.

Working in a MIDI groove environment with a "player" like EZ Drummer or AD means all you need to buy is more MIDI grooves to get new material to work with.  This also means you can create homologous sounding tracks as they are all playing through the same "kit."  If you are stuck with loops, it can become very difficult to create an "album" that feels like it was recorded using the same kit and the same way.  

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 14:33:21 (permalink)
The biggest reason not to use loops is it severely limits your ability to mix them in context. EQ and compression would apply to the loop as a whole rather than the individual tom, kick, snare, etc. Having said all of that, if you aren't mixing for release and are doing this for fun, there is no reason to not use loops. If the song sells, the studio would hire a real drummer anyway...

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 16:19:37 (permalink)
There's two words I hate to use and I guess I'm about to use them both here. I still have ProTools on an Apple MacBook that had the good Superior Drummer template on it. I'll see if it's still there and play with it some and see how I like it.
It does sound like you guys who are serious about drums all prefer midi and these various drum programs mentioned.
Thank you again. This has been a very informative thread for me and may alter my opinion and use of "computer" drumming.
DS

Sonar Platinum

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 17:38:21 (permalink)
There's a role for loops, there's a role for more realistic drum parts and there's a role for the more "traditional" kind of drum machines like the 808 and 909 and their more sophisticated modern descendants such as the Elekton drum machines.

It all depends on what you want the music to sound like and what kind of feel you want it to have. For a genre like blues it can be very hard to find a loop that fits a particular song or guitar riff because subtle timing and emphasis differences are so important for the right feel. Even someone like Bo Diddley who basically used one riff most of the time played it with different nuances for different songs and the drums have to lock with the guitar and bass or the whole thing becomes a mess.

For four-on-the-floor kick-based electronic styles loops can provide parts that fit quite well, though I prefer to use a Machinedrum because it gives me more options without being too complicated and it keeps things musically simple which I find helps prevent arrangements getting too cluttered.

It has to be said that programming a reasonably realistic drum part that sounds like a human played it can be very time consuming indeed. Which is where algorithmic sample players such as Jamstix or Logic Pro's Drummer instrument which can "invent" complex parts that can be tied to other instruments for "feel" can come in handy. Though even they often need a bit of MIDI hand-editing if e.g. a cymbal crash is wanted in a particular place.
post edited by tlw - 2016/09/26 17:59:42

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 18:59:00 (permalink)
I've still got Logic Pro X from when I was still planning to use Apple. I can check it out. I'm not opposed to composing drum tracks on other machines and importing them. But like you said, this can be a very tedious and time consuming process, and even more so if you don't have a passion for it.
Good ideas on here for sure! Thanks guys!
DS

Sonar Platinum

gbowling
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 315
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 19:21:12 (permalink)
DS, what type of music do you do? If it's a style I enjoy, I would likely do drum parts for you for free..  I have a full studio and have played drums for about 40 years. I do this a lot, all that's required is an mp3 or wav of the song, without drums, and the tempo it was recorded in. I import the file into sonar set to the right tempo so it lines up with the grid. I send you back individual drum tracks. PM me if you're interested. You can hear lots of tunes I've done via my bandcamp link in my sig. 

gabo

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/26 21:05:15 (permalink)
tlw
There's a role for loops, there's a role for more realistic drum parts and there's a role for the more "traditional" kind of drum machines like the 808 and 909 and their more sophisticated modern descendants such as the Elekton drum machines.

It all depends on what you want the music to sound like and what kind of feel you want it to have. 

Absolutely!! I use both, depending on context. For loops, I love the Discrete Drums loops. Drummers who've heard my neo- album are convinced I used a real drummer...well actually, I guess did. But two of the songs used programmed drums, and no one noticed.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 03:23:37 (permalink)
HaHa! Thanks Anderton! This is too good to be true!

I looked up Discreet Drums and see that one of my old Memphis friends, Greg Morrow, who is now a drummer in Nashville, did some of the Discreet Drums. Greg did a session for me in Nashville a while back and is the same ole Greg. I think he was voted Nashville Drummer of the Year last year. Greg is also credited on several ZZ Top records. So now, I gotta try Discreet Drums! This will be like having an old friend playing drums for me again. Greg and I did our first session together back in the early 1980s in a little studio in north Mississippi. I keep claiming to be his first paying customer, but he refutes that and says, no, his first paying session was in Memphis. I still like to tell my version, though!

And if that isn't enough, Joe Hardy is listed as the engineer. It appears from the web site that Joe did this in Nashville, but Joe is in Houston now and a Facebook friend. Joe did a LOT of ZZ's stuff, and still does stuff for BFG's solo projects the last I heard. Joe also engineered my first Memphis demo at Ardent Studios. I used to stop by there a lot to visit, but soon he did his first ZZ album...can't remember which one...but it was back in the MTV heyday during the Eliminator-Afterburner-Recycler days. After that I never could stop by and just find him available to visit. But Joe and Greg both have done extremely well.

Thanks for the tip, Anderton! This is gonna be cool!

post edited by JustGotPaid - 2016/09/27 03:56:39

Sonar Platinum

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 09:22:48 (permalink)
I program all my own drums. I always have since the inception of the drum machine...which back then took months to learn the interface of a drum machine. the manuals looked like a Sears catalog.

anyway, I find samples, loops, programing your drums are a great tool to use while creating the foundation of your work/songs.
but when its crunch time and you want the best possible sound. mic up a kit and get yourself a drummer.
I know this is not practical for everyone but real drums blow away any sample made.
there are certain nuances about a drummer, real drums that can not be captured no matter what you do.
even a poor drummer itself can bring a lively feel to something any sample can not. which is a robotic, flat totally in time drum line.
I know some will say, but theres things you can do to make them sound real. those people are right, there are things you can do to make drums sound real. trust me i know. ive made a video on it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAnAPR6-hQ

but that's just it...the difference between "Sounds real" and "Real" are miles apart. 

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 14:09:11 (permalink)
Chuck, that's basically my belief too concerning a real drummer. What is the goal of all the drum loops and programs, and the more and more elaborate mapping and programming? To sound like a real drummer. I just don't have to ability and patience to sit down for (what would take me hours) to program or map out a drum line. With my limited ability I'm much better off with loops. And if I am really serious about a drum part sounding live, it just makes sense to me to get a live drummer. This can get expensive unless you have a friend that does it free, or swaps drum tracks for guitar or bass or other parts.

I'm not knocking midi drums and programming them in general. But I've been doing music a long time and I don't have much more talent for programming and mapping drums that I do for playing the saxophone, which I have never even touched. Some people try it, find they have a knack for it, they find they like doing it, and they good get at it. I'm just not that person. I wish I was, but I'm not. I'd waste part of the night every night for a week trying to map out something and it would be nothing but a frustration for me, and I'd never get it just the way I wanted it. Someone who's good at it could sit down and do it in a fraction of the time and it would sound great.

Thanks for the YouTube link. You really have a mastery of this stuff! Very cool!

So for me, I have the thinking that you do. If I want a really good sound like a live drummer, then I think it's best to just get a live drummer. When I started digital recording several years ago I went to some workshops in Nashville to learn something about it. One speaker talked a good bit about drums and when it was over I asked him about programmed drums and drum loops and he said, "A real drummer is always going to sound better." I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but his point was well taken.
post edited by JustGotPaid - 2016/09/27 14:38:11

Sonar Platinum

Brian Walton
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 15:20:50 (permalink)
JustGotPaid

So for me, I have the thinking that you do. If I want a really good sound like a live drummer, then I think it's best to just get a live drummer. When I started digital recording several years ago I went to some workshops in Nashville to learn something about it. One speaker talked a good bit about drums and when it was over I asked him about programmed drums and drum loops and he said, "A real drummer is always going to sound better." I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but his point was well taken.

It might be how you define "real drummer."  Plenty of drummers can't keep tempo, over play, on top of the challenge of recording drums.  

Drum loops are frequently made by real drummers in ideal recording situations, so saying a "real drummer" sounds better is an oxymoron.  

A great drummer playing to your song is ideal.  But it isn't unusual for drum software to create a much more polished sounding recording if the drummer isn't top shelf and the recording environment isn't great.  

In fact, many studios record drummers without cymbals and have them trigger AD or Session drummer.  It is becoming much more common as you can get a far more controlled end result that way.  Virtually all of those "midi" drum loops are created by real drummers also.  
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 15:28:48 (permalink)
With all due respect, we're just getting into semantics now, and re-stating the obvious with nit-picky phrasing analysis.

Sonar Platinum

Brian Walton
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 15:39:28 (permalink)
JustGotPaid
With all due respect, we're just getting into semantics now, and re-stating the obvious with nit-picky phrasing analysis.

Yet you say you are familiar with all of these MIDI drum programs, but fail to state the obvious that they are essentially no different than your drum loops unless you want to take them a step further and alter them.  They do have the advantage of being able to be used over any BPM, not just the limited set a drum loop will provide.  

Real drummer plays a groove and that grove is captured and played back by actual recorded drum samples, that is MIDI drumming software.   

Your OP read like getting into semantics right from the start.  I'm stating the obvious, because honestly it sounds like you need it on this subject.  With all due respect, assuming your OP wasn't just trolling.  
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 16:00:38 (permalink)
There's one in every crowd.

Sonar Platinum

Brian Walton
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 16:31:07 (permalink)
JustGotPaid
There's one in every crowd.

Have you tried using the drum programs to just copy and paste the provided grooves in the same way as a drum loop would offer?  

Your OP seems to imply that you equate these programs with programming and working with midi, yet you don't have to do any of that with them.  

I've offered plenty of insight that is not at the level of semantics.  

If your friend who uses Sonar also has Plat, sharing file with MIDI drums takes up a lot less room than a WAV file does.  I'd say tempo changing of any groove is a pretty major advantage over Drum Loops.  Adding grooves to the project is just as simple.  

The only real workflow advantage I'd see with drum loops is it isn't using your processor as much given that it isn't having to use a VSTi, assuming you are taking about before you freeze or print the track.  

Drum Loops are fine for many things, but yes, quite a few advantages to MIDI drums even if you don't want to edit any of them.  
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 16:44:45 (permalink)
Brian Walton
JustGotPaid

Drum loops are frequently made by real drummers in ideal recording situations, so saying a "real drummer" sounds better is an oxymoron.  

that's just the point. they are recorded in "too ideal recording situations".
when a snare is hit by a real drummer, you also get that hi hat bleed through the snare mic. samples don't have the natural ability to create these nuances. instead you get a one hit sample (even at multiple velocity's)

there is such a thing called "too polished" and it becomes obvious.
im guessing next your going to tell me guitar sims sound better than real amps .

the only Oxymoron is one who doesn't explore all options and as I said before, drum samples are great for building songs / for people who don't have the means (not enough room, late at night, don't have drums).
but he's absolutely correct, a "real drummer" always is and always will be a better option.
trust me, I use samples all the time. just not for my finished product. that's left for a real drummer, with a real kit.
post edited by chuckebaby - 2016/09/27 17:10:05

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1