Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions

Author
J.Stubbs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2008/01/25 18:05:33 (permalink)

Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions

Greetings all. I have been using the TTS-1 Soft Synth to build drum tracks for a few weeks now and have not any problems with it. (I open the piano roll view and build the beats a note at a time. Tedious, but works)

Today, after feeling limited by the drum sounds in the TTS-1 (I have been using the Standard Set), I began to use the drum map manager.

So - here is what I have done -

-Built drum patterns on a midi track using one of the many kits.

-Assigned each individual drum (snare, kicks, crashes, etc...) to it's own Soft Synth Track (TTS-1,2,3,4,5 etc...)

-BUT-

When opening the TTS Tracks I have to assign the drums back to the Standard Set from the Soft Synth. So, after an hour and a half of doing all this, I have the same exact drum sound I started with. What is the point of running all the sounds through the TTS if I cannot use the drum sounds from the Map Manager?

Yes, this way I am able to mix/effect/master every separate drum, but I am only getting the "Standard Set" sounds again.

26 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/25 23:18:05 (permalink)
    When opening the TTS Tracks I have to assign the drums back to the Standard Set from the Soft Synth.
    why? this is the part where you're loosing me on what you're doing. if you have a drum map with a special kit that you made from different kits available in TTS-1, then you should be assigning that MIDI track to that drum map and not to the TTS-1.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/25 23:23:41 (permalink)
    I got you confused - let me rephrase:

When setting up the Drum Map Manager there are tons of Drum Kits to choose from (some work, some do not). Well, in order for me to mix/add effects to each individual drum separately, I insert a soft synth and assign the drum (kick, snare, etc...) to each. Well, once I do this, the sounds revert back to the Standard Kit found in the TTS.

I can hear the sounds in the map, but once I move them to the TTS, I only get the Standard Sounds again.
    Beagle
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/25 23:32:37 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, J, it may be that it's late and I'm tired, but I'm still not following you.

the drum map should be pointing to different channels of the same instance of TTS-1. on the different channels, you should be assigning the different kits and assign the sounds from the kits you are wanting that sound to come from. then save that drum map as a name such as "TTS-1 mixed kits". then send the output of the MIDI track to the drum map labelled "TTS-1 mixed kits" and all of the drum notes in that MIDI track will be sent to different channels with different kits of the TTS-1.

when you say you "move them to the TTS" it is just not making sense to me because I don't understand what you're doing by "moving them to the TTS".

J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/25 23:38:09 (permalink)
    Ok - I program all of the drums out on the MIDI track in the piano view.

I then insert 8 different TTS Tracks, one for each part of the drum kit.

I then (in the piano view) right click on the drum (snare, kick, etc...) and in the Map Properties change the Out Port of that drum to match a TTS I have named for it.

Then, I can control the volume/mix/effects for each drum.

PROBLEM IS:

The sounds I am using in the MIDI map are replaced by the Standard Kit of the TTS once I do this. The only advantage I now have control over each drum. the disadvantage is that I have the same sounds I started with when I was programming using the Virtual Synth Template. Additionally, once I get more than 8 TTS tracks going, I start to get Dropouts very bad.
    Beagle
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/25 23:41:03 (permalink)
    so, don't do it that way. do it the way I explained above - it only takes one instance of TTS-1 that way. you're just using 8 separate channels in the same TTS-1.

J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/25 23:46:49 (permalink)
    See, now you have lost me. The problem with the TTS to begin with was that there are not many kits to choose from, but in the Map Manager there are tons. I cannot find these through the TTS. What am I missing?

Basically, tell me this - I have a midi track with drums programmed on it and I want to be able to mix/add effects to each drum separately, with different kits. What do I do?
    Beagle
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/26 08:13:45 (permalink)
    I will try to make a tutorial for you later today, but this morning I'm off to a choir retreat and don't have time to explain it all. I'll be back tonight and help you with it, tho.

J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/26 08:49:08 (permalink)
    Thanks! No problem!
    Beagle
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/26 17:49:22 (permalink)
    Alright - let's see if I can explain this well enough.

I'm assuming you already have a MIDI track with drum notes in it, but other than that, start from scratch. delete all TTS-1's you have in the synth rack.

now, go to INSERT>SOFTSYNTH>TTS-1
    when the window pops up, choose these options:

8 TTS-1 outputs will appear. if you need more than 8 outputs, then you'll need an additional TTS-1 for THOSE.

on your MIDI track with the DRUM notes, choose DRUM MAP MANAGER from your OUTPUT

the drum map manager window will pop up. click on NEW, then in the pull down window, choose GM DRUMS (Complete Kit)

for the sounds you want a different kit to make the sound, choose a different channel for each one.

for each channel you want a different kit to play, choose that kit from the pull down menu on that port/channel option

that will get your different kits playing for the different notes. now we need to ensure that the different channels will output to different outputs as you wanted (which actually is a separate thing from the drum map). At this point, you may want to type something into the PRESETS window which will be a good name for your drummap and press the little DISK beside the preset window to save it for future retrieval.

go to the TTS-1 properties page and press the SYSTEM button. a red window will appear.

Now press the options button on that new window. on the new window, change the output of the channels you set in the drum map to the following:

the lower channel will be output to the LEFT side of that output and the higher channel will be output to the RIGHT side.

Now just verify that your inputs to the TTS-1 outputs are set correctly

that should do it.

J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/26 23:59:08 (permalink)
    WOW. HOLY WOW. Never have I seen help like this on a forum. Truly appreciated.

Anyway, I will have to play with this tomorrow and see what I can do. I will keep you updated. Thanks again so much!
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/27 11:20:36 (permalink)
    RobertB and Beagle consistently go out of their way to help in this forum. I'm constantly amazed the lengths they will go to to solve someone's problem.
    You two are my five-star MC (and SHS) support system.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/27 11:34:35 (permalink)
    Thanks, Greg.
    It's nice to be appreciated, and we learn a lot doing it.

Alright - let's see if I can explain this well enough.

I think you did ok, Beagle.
    This one is exceptional.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Beagle
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/27 14:14:25 (permalink)
    awe, shucks!

I just hope it works for him.

J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/27 22:29:29 (permalink)
    Had a busy weekend and still have not been able to tackle this. I will let you know as soon as I do. Thanks again!
    J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/28 00:42:55 (permalink)
    Ok, this helped a lot, but my first problem has still not been solved.

When I pull up the drum map manager - there are hundereds of kits to choose from.

I can select them and program with them, but they have very low volumes.

When I route the notes through the TTS outputs and set the Bank / Patch - I then have to select from the kits in the TTS (Standard, Room, Analog, etc...)

That is wherein the problem lies. I DO NOT WANT THOSE SOUNDS. I want the sounds from the kits in the manager.

Now, this has been very, very helpful in routing the output to the TTS channels. This allows me to assign each drum it's own channel for mixing. But I am still left with only being able to use the TTS sounds. I want the Manager sounds. Is this possible?
    J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/28 00:56:40 (permalink)
    Also, if I am to have to use these sounds (the standard kit is not bad, but not ideal), how do I get certain drums (I.E. Kick, Kick 2, Snare) to go to different channels of the TTS?

I know how to make a different TTS for each one, but this bogs my system down. I want:

Kick<TTS - 1/1
    Kick<TTS - 1/2
    Snare<TTS - 1/3
    Low Tom<TTS - 1/4

Etc...

Beagle
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/28 07:41:28 (permalink)
    When I pull up the drum map manager - there are hundereds of kits to choose from.
    but you can only use the ones you have access to. if you don't have a hardware or software synth with those kits, then you can't use the sounds. the maps are only there for you to use if you need them to map to your hardware/software synth.

I really don't understand this statement. the drummap has nothing to do with volume unless you change the velocity from 100% to something lower.

When I route the notes through the TTS outputs and set the Bank / Patch - I then have to select from the kits in the TTS (Standard, Room, Analog, etc...)

That is wherein the problem lies. I DO NOT WANT THOSE SOUNDS. I want the sounds from the kits in the manager.
    Again - if you don't have them you can't use them. those are only for mapping to hardware or software synths when you have them. those sounds are NOT included anywhere in MC.

But I am still left with only being able to use the TTS sounds. I want the Manager sounds. Is this possible?
    NO. not without buying a hardware or software synth that has those sounds.

how do I get certain drums (I.E. Kick, Kick 2, Snare) to go to different channels of the TTS?
    by following the tutorial I made above. set your Kick to go to channel 1, your kick 2 to channel 2, just like I put in the pictures above on the drum map.

I know how to make a different TTS for each one, but this bogs my system down.
    I don't think you've tried to follow the steps I laid out above. I specifically went over that very thing. you do NOT need more than 1 TTS for at least 16 different sounds. In the drum map manager, you can set those sounds to the different channels. just go back to the tutorial above and look at the instructions and pictures where I tell you how to change the sounds to the different channels.

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/28 08:31:10 (permalink)
    I am gonna have to go back and study that tutorial, so much information to ingest. You really outdid yourself with this one, Beagle. How can a critter with little stubby paws make such nice pictures, and I can't even type without backspace and delete to cover my tracks.
    Give that pooch some scooby snacks
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/28 08:36:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

but you can only use the ones you have access to. if you don't have a hardware or software synth with those kits, then you can't use the sounds. the maps are only there for you to use if you need them to map to your hardware/software synth.

I really don't understand this statement. the drummap has nothing to do with volume unless you change the velocity from 100% to something lower.

Again - if you don't have them you can't use them. those are only for mapping to hardware or software synths when you have them. those sounds are NOT included anywhere in MC.

But I am still left with only being able to use the TTS sounds. I want the Manager sounds. Is this possible?
    NO. not without buying a hardware or software synth that has those sounds.

how do I get certain drums (I.E. Kick, Kick 2, Snare) to go to different channels of the TTS?
    by following the tutorial I made above. set your Kick to go to channel 1, your kick 2 to channel 2, just like I put in the pictures above on the drum map.

I know how to make a different TTS for each one, but this bogs my system down.
    I don't think you've tried to follow the steps I laid out above. I specifically went over that very thing. you do NOT need more than 1 TTS for at least 16 different sounds. In the drum map manager, you can set those sounds to the different channels. just go back to the tutorial above and look at the instructions and pictures where I tell you how to change the sounds to the different channels.

Ok - that is what I needed cleared up.

Yes, I have followed the tutorial, I just have to go back and do it again and work everything out.
    J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/28 15:58:15 (permalink)
    Alright, getting this sorted out.

I have installed one TTS and routed each sound to a stereo output.

I have inserted a second TTS for the rest of my sounds.

Question - how do I pull up the synth properties for the second TTS? Everytime I try, I get the first TTS.

Once I do this, and can route each drum to it's own channel for the second TTS, I am in business.
    J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/28 16:02:17 (permalink)
    Scratch that - figured it out. We are in business. I have channels for every drum spread out over two TTS's. Hopefully this will do it. THANKS AGAIN!
    Beagle
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/01/28 16:25:07 (permalink)
    Good! glad you got it figured out!

J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/02/03 22:18:33 (permalink)
    Hey guys, things are running like greased toddlers at a cocaine party. Thanks for all the help.

Couple of questions though - Btw, I have been recording with various Cakewalk programs for about 5 years now, but never stepped outside of recording guitars and vocals for very lo-fi projects.

IF - I want better drums for the Manager, what do I have to do? What specifically do I have to buy?

AND - and recommendations on mics? I have been recording guitars for years with a $5 Nady vocal mic and it is time to step up. I keep hearing SM-57. Good idea?

AND - For vocals, I have had a Marshall MXL 990 (Beagle, saw this on your site, I have had mine for years until the other day), but it has decided to start cutting out very badly. especially with any lower frequencies (I play a lot of metal, any lower, growly type vocals cut out very bad). Any suggestions on a good vocal mic for these guttural vocals?

Thanks as always guys!
    Beagle
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/02/03 23:08:17 (permalink)
    for gutteral type vocals I think the SM-57 is probably perfect. if that were the type of vocals I were going to record, that's what I'd get.

for drums, look at EZ Drummer. very popular and not too expensive. works right with MC!

J.Stubbs
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/02/03 23:23:00 (permalink)
    Awesome, I have already looked into the ToonTracks products, so I will definitely check them out. And I have had the SM-57 recommended for guitars, so that is two birds...

Thanks!
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Drum Map / TTS - 1 Questions 2008/02/03 23:45:30 (permalink)
    SM-57 are the go to mics for more than thirty years. I know, 'cause I have two I bought in 1973, and after years of dropping, banging around, abuse in all sorts of situations, and several beer baths, they have been in front of guitar amps, bass amps, kick or snare, cymbols, singers who eat mics, just unbelievable brutallity, they both work as perfectly as the day I bought them. Can't say enough about them.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1