Helpful ReplyDrum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working

Author
reginaldStjohn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 485
2011/02/12 20:58:40 (permalink)

Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working

I had  separate thread for this a week or two ago and got some great advice.  It seemed to work the one time I tried it but now I cant get it to work.

Here is the problem.  I insert a Studio Instruments Drum track.  Go to the Midi tab in the inspector and set it's output to a drum map "1-SI - Drum Kit 1", in this case.  But when I open a new step sequence I still get note names and not the drum names.  Am I doing somethign wrong or is this a bug?

I have a screen capture of this but I can't figure out how to upload an image to this post?

As a side note: The SI-Drums after some time won't make any sound and I have to insert a new track and copy all the midi info over to it and delete the old track to make it work.  I contacted support about this and they had me re-install everything.  Still seems to have the same problem.

Thanks

Randy

FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working 2011/02/13 02:12:22 (permalink)
Are you definitely setting the output to the drum map and not directly to the synth?

On my system drum maps all begin with "DM" so a drum map would read something like "DM - My drum map" whereas "1-SI - Drum Kit 1" would suggest the output is going straight to the synth and not via the map.

That will result in note names instead of kit names.
Crush
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
Re:Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working 2011/02/13 02:53:27 (permalink)
Drums are a problem in all DAW's except FL studio I would say.

If Cakewalk is listening, they need to seriously relax on the complexity of the drums and step sequencer.

Anyone who uses the Step Sequencer needs that to be spoon fed to them. No complexities. The drums are so important. I'd consider it easily enough to effect market share.

It's the core of electronic loop making.
reginaldStjohn
Re:Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working 2011/02/14 10:59:02 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

Are you definitely setting the output to the drum map and not directly to the synth?

On my system drum maps all begin with "DM" so a drum map would read something like "DM - My drum map" whereas "1-SI - Drum Kit 1" would suggest the output is going straight to the synth and not via the map.

I will look at that when I get back to my computer. Thanks for the input.

brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working 2011/02/14 11:47:44 (permalink)
reginaldStjohn

FastBikerBoy

I will look at that when I get back to my computer. Thanks for the input.
FBB has you on the right track. Shame on Cakewalk Tech Support for leading you astray with a pointless re-install.

Unlike Session Drummer, Studio Instruments does not automatically give you drum names in PRV or SS when you point a MIDI track at it. But as far as I can tell, Studio Instruments uses GM mapping for the sounds it provides from Note Numbers 35-51. So you can just take a generic GM drum map, change all the outputs to the SI Drumkit instance, save it as a new preset, and you'll be in business. 
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working 2011/02/14 11:53:11 (permalink)
have you try the options menu in the step sequencer...i knoe there are a few option in there..one is to mute notes but still see then visably..its the button u use to load seqencer patterns..try clicking that and seeing if you have one of those options on..this might not even be your problem but it is something worth investigating

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

reginaldStjohn
Re:Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working 2011/02/14 20:07:52 (permalink)
Ok, Thank you all for your help.  It did seem to be that I had to choose a drum map. So... what was it doing when I routed the the output to itself?  How does the track know what synth to play if you don't map the output of the track to a synth?  Why do simple instrument tracks need both and audio and Midi track?  Why can't it just be a midi track with the output routed to the synth?

I guess I just assumed it would be a lot more straight forward then this.  I am not a new to audio or ever cake walk I just haven't used some of these features.  I have been more of a straight audio guy.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working 2011/02/14 20:53:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
So... what was it doing when I routed the the output to itself

When you route the output to itself, I assume you mean "SI drumkit" the MIDI track is going directly to the synth. How the synth handles the note names is down to the individual synth.

In the case of the CW Studio instruments it seems that it translates as notes rather than individual kit names. Session Drummer 3 for example does the drum names for you. If it were hardware you could write an Instrument definition (ins file) if one hasn't already been written to "translate" the note names to drum names. As it is this option isn't available for soft synths.

How does the track know what synth to play if you don't map the output of the track to a synth?

The routing is handled by the drum map. One of the fields in the drum manager is the "Out port". This is the part of the drum map that tells it what synth to play.

As er......... antiquated as the drum map interface is in principle it is still a very handy and powerful tool. You can create a drum map from many different drum sources if you wish "mapping" each note on your controller to a different note on any drum synth you wish.

In its simpler use as in this case it just translates the note names to drum names for you, but can be used in a far more powerful way if required. Just a shame its so awkward and unintuitive to use. Try writing a map from scratch rather than loading a preset, you'll see what I mean.

Why do simple instrument tracks need both and audio and Midi track? Why can't it just be a midi track with the output routed to the synth?

Well it can be just routed to the synth and in the case of hardware it is. But if you think about it you need to be able to hear the output. If it's a hardware drum machine or synth you would simpy listen to the output of that piece of kit. Be it via an output to a mixer or amp, it's own internal speakers or whatever.

The audio track of a soft synth performs a similar function, the soft synth needs to output the sound it is generating somewhere, in this case an audio track within Sonar.

I guess I just assumed it would be a lot more straight forward then this

It probably doesn't seem like it right now but it is fairly straight forward once you get the idea and some of the terminology. I started off life as a guitarist who would come out in a cold sweat at the mention of MIDI, once you get used to it and learn how to use it's power though it really is straight forward.

There's always plenty of help here so if you need to know anything just ask. Don't be worried about how stupid you may think the question is, we were all new to it once and most of us don't bite....... Just ignore the ones that do.
euronymus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working 2017/03/19 02:59:58 (permalink)
Did the OP ever find this to be workable? I am having a very similar problem and about to give up.
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:Drum Maps, Studio Instruments, Step Sequencer still not working 2017/03/19 06:13:00 (permalink)
I just did a  quick check:

- Insert SI Drums as a Simple Instrument track.
- Go to the MIDI tab in the Track Inspector.
- Change the output assignment to New Drum Map > SI Drum Kit
- Open the Step Sequencer view and kit piece names are shown as expected.

If problems persist, it will probably be best to start a new thread.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1