Drum Recording - Electronic Kit and Real Cymbals

Author
mattplaysguitar
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1992
2010/07/30 21:00:34 (permalink)

Drum Recording - Electronic Kit and Real Cymbals

I remembering hearing in a SOS podcast of an interesting way to record drums - use an electronic kit for everything but the cymbals, then use a good set of cymbals and mic those up with some OHs. They said this is great for people who don't have access to a good room - so you would filter out most of the low end of the OHs (which contains a lot of the room sound but not too much of the cymbal sound) and then put the entire kit in an artificial room. It would also be great for people who are limited to only two mic inputs and MIDI. It would thus allow (hopefully) very realistic and great sounding drums with pretty minimal gear (provided you had a good sample library).

I have not tried this yet, but I plan to. I have a friend with all the drum requirements and I can supply the rest. Just wondering if anyone has tried this or knows of any good articles (I found it a bit difficult to google this specifically) or just any opinions in general. If I had the room, mics and gear, I would always prefer a fully live kit, but at the moment, it ain't possible for me!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

6 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Drum Recording - Electronic Kit and Real Cymbals 2010/07/30 22:17:13 (permalink)
    This has been my intention but early tests suggest that my edrum kit writes the MIDI 14mSec off from the actual hit instant as recorded via audio. This implies, to me, that assuming that the cymbals and the e-drums will line up is naively optimistic on my part.

I still need to make time to finish my tests.

best regards,
    mike

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Drum Recording - Electronic Kit and Real Cymbals 2010/07/30 22:29:32 (permalink)
    Oh that's annoying. Does this mean it makes monitoring difficult? Do you hear this delay? Does simply shifting the MIDI part back 14ms give you what you need? I'd love if you could post a sample of your results when you finish testing (with or without other instruments). Please keep us updated on your progress!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Drum Recording - Electronic Kit and Real Cymbals 2010/07/30 22:34:22 (permalink)
    I don't hear the delay.... but my professional and music schooled drummer guests say they do upon playback of the tracks. I used to think they were crazy and then I started checking with rudimentary tests.

I bought an Alesis USB pro edrum kit to augment acoustic kits last January so I'm sorta new to the work flow.

best regards,
    mike

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Drum Recording - Electronic Kit and Real Cymbals 2010/07/31 15:21:53 (permalink)
    If the delay is that long, something would seem to be technically wrong. I currently use a ZenDrum, which uses actually original MIDI, not MIDI over USB, so it should be about as slow as it's likely to get. I don't see delays like that.

I would think that MIDI actually should require far less latency (to store the data) than audio since it's very small and requires no conversion. If you monitor through the DAW of course you then have to have the MIDI trigger the sounds and hear them back out, which adds to the latency. But just to store the data should be really fast, as long as the e-drum brain isn't just waiting too long to send it or something.

In my case I am also monitoring through the DAW as well, since I use BFD, and I don't have any significant delay that would bother me. How are you getting the MIDI into the DAW? Even real drums involve two or three milliseconds for the sound to travel to the drummer's ears. So four to six milliseconds isn't going to make any difference. For MIDI the conversion latency (for monitoring through the DAW) would only be one way, as it comes back out for listening, since there's no audio going in.

If anything you would think that the live cymbals would end up being behind the drums since they have to be converted to be stored, and therefore get the ingoing conversion latency, whereas the MIDI doesn't.

post edited by droddey - 2010/07/31 15:25:58

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Drum Recording - Electronic Kit and Real Cymbals 2010/07/31 18:55:48 (permalink)
    Dean, I did some testing and the protocol that I used was listed step by step. Maybe you can review that post up in the Sonar Producer forum.

best regards,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/07/31 19:25:28

hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:Drum Recording - Electronic Kit and Real Cymbals 2010/08/02 04:12:59 (permalink)
    I remember listening to that PodCast and thinking it was a good idea too.

Can't say that I've tried it but I do sometimes augment my hihat lines with a real tambourine. I find it gives a looser feel to the drums and somehow makes them more real (I use SD2 for the rest).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1