Drum Tuning!

Author
Lay In Wait
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1764
2005/10/16 13:15:07 (permalink)

Drum Tuning!

My drummer and I have been looking online for the answer! It seems there are several different approaches. Does anyone out there have a tried and tested method. The drums are used for metal.

15 Replies Related Threads

SiriusLiMusic
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/17 02:19:33 (permalink)
    Metal; so you want fast and punchy with some snap, but not alot of overtone ringing. What type (brand) drums does your drummer play? Are you tuning for live or recording?

My first suggestion would be to try Remo pinstripe or Remo Ebony pinstripe heads. Get your self, or your drummer, a DRUM DIAL. Then play around with different tension settings to get the sound you are after. MAKE NOTES. With a drum dial, most toms like a setting of 35-45. Tune the top and bottom heads the same, then lower the pitch of the bottom head a little bit. Then let your ears do the rest.

If you are recording mic the drums then change the tom hits to samples, this is what most metal recordings are. You end up with easily controlled drum hits.

I hope this helps.

Lay In Wait
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/17 20:38:45 (permalink)
    If you are recording mic the drums then change the tom hits to samples, this is what most metal recordings are. You end up with easily controlled drum hits.

And how do i do this? How do you trigger the samples? I dont know midi for the life of me, and am staying away from it so my computer lives! Ah yes the drum dial! I was eyeballin one of those a few weekes ago!

What type (brand) drums does your drummer play?

5pc Pearl export, Evans hydraulic skins on toms, Remo coated emperor on snare, not sure what his kik skin is! They are primarily for jamming but we do record some of our jams! Thanx for yer help!
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/18 08:21:34 (permalink)
    How do you trigger the samples?

Check out Drumagog

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

Lay In Wait
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/18 10:44:48 (permalink)
    Check out Drumagog

Will do! Thanx!

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/18 10:57:52 (permalink)
    codashome
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/19 08:34:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

http://www.stack.nl/~erwint/multi/drums.html

Cheers.

This is essentially how we were taught at the big recording school. I like it because it makes you use your ears, not your eyes. Drum dials may be a great aid in a noisy environment, as is a guitar tuner, but why bother if you are in a noise free zone like a studio?
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/19 09:47:39 (permalink)
    I also like yep's link - I echo that this is a tried and true method for tuning drums. Try that first and see what you get.

Here are some other observations - and do I need to say it? My own personal opinions? Not carved in concrete? Simply offered to get the juices flowing?

KICK - um ok. I like Aquarian Super Kick 1 beater heads. My own personal preference. I like the Tama Iron Cobra pedal. I like to put a feather pillow in the bottom so that the pillow just barely touches the beater head. I am still using the original Yamaha front head that came with my drum. I have a Tama Tension Watch and use it whenever I first change heads. This set up, properly miked, produces what I would call a nice clicky metal sound but not Metalica clicky. Somewhere in-bewteen which is fine for me because I get many different styles here and with a little eq, can accomodate just about anything.

Snare - Again I like Aquarian heads and the best snare springs money can buy (yes they make a difference). I cut up an old head into a curved strip and duct-taped it to the top head to damped the sound a bit. You will have to experiment on your own with the length of the strip. Cut up a few lengths and try them all and choose the best one.

Toms - Remo's here and clear single ply whatever. I hate the double ply - too dead sounding. I like plenty of attack but that's just preference. Everyone will have their own preference. A few pieces of strategically placed duct tape works wonders. Also, poking cotton balls in through the air hole provides a bit of deadening (start with about a 1/2 dozen).

Tuning by ear - I agree the best method. I had, at my disposal, some drum sample CD's with single hits (toms, snares, kicks, etc. ). What I have done is recorded each drum and comared it to the samples and then tried to get the drum to sound like the sample. If nothing else, it was a great learning experience. Once your ears become "calibrated", you can do this just by using your ears. it takes time to cultivate your ears like this. But after a while, it will seem like second nature to you.

Good luck and have fun! Any other suggestions?

post edited by krizrox - 2005/10/19 09:56:59

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/19 11:47:06 (permalink)
    There are three different aspects to tuning drums:

1. Getting the heads into shape so they're evenly stretched and at the right tension for the player to play on. This is the first step and is pretty straightforward.

2. Getting the drums to have the right sound "character." Tubby or snappy or hollow or boomy or tight are words that might be used to describe what you're looking for. This is step two, and is simply a matter of personal preference and taste.

3. Adjusting the pitch of the drum to better suit the song. This is the hardest part for a lot of new engineers to get their head around, but it's really not that tough-- drums have pitch. In fact, they have a lot of different pitches going on, usually for a very short duration. All those complex waveforms add up to something that sounds sort of like an atonal sound, but it's not, really. It's more like a really complex chord. "Tuning" a kickdrum to play, say B sharp is not really necessary or even doable, but chances are good that tuning the front head a little tighter or looser WILL change the way that the kick sound sits with the bass. If the kick drum is not tuned to the song, the bass may sound sort of out of tune or tubby or or honky. Tuning the snare a little tighter or looser may create or eliminate "ringing" or annoying elements that conflict with the guitars. If the drums are not "sitting in the mix" quite right, tuning them might save a lot of eq and compression headaches later in the game.

Again, this is not about trying to "tune" the drums to particular notes, it's about getting them to sit in well with the other instruments. The best way to do this is to have the bass player play the part and try tuning the bottom head of the snare/toms or the front head of the kick by loosening or tightening every lug a quarter-turn, and listen for the changes. After a little practice, you get a feel for it and it starts to become obvious when the drums need tweaking. Do this AFTER the drummer has gotten their drums tuned up to "sound right."

There are rare obsessive-compulsive drummers and engineers who obsessively try and "tune" the toms, to say, a triad, and tune the kick and the snare to the root and fifth of the song key, but that's not usually necessary or even possible, unless you're recording timpani or whatever.

Cheers.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/19 12:32:16 (permalink)
    Yeah interesting comments. I've had players come in here with guitar tuners and tune their toms to fifths or thirds or some imaginary thingy. And then you get the guys that have never changed a drum head in their life. The heads look like the surface of the moon.

Check out modern drummer website and magazine for lot's of tips from the pro's.

here's more:

http://www.mikedrums.com/tuning/tuning.html
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0634039253/102-6279749-0591325?v=glance&n=283155&%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
    http://store.drumbum.com/pictures-drum-tuning-cd.htm
    http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/059116/details.html?kbid=1360
    http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/movie/pid/6753926/a/Drum+Set+Crash+Course+-+Tuning+Edition.htm

http://www.drummerworld.com/links.html
    http://www.drumexchange.com/guide_tune.htm

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Lay In Wait
    RE: Drum Tuning! 2005/10/19 16:52:02 (permalink)
    Thanx alot guys! This forum has been a God send! Tons of info

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    ellasherlin
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: RE: Drum Tuning! 2010/10/05 07:29:26 (permalink)
    These links are really helpful.Thanks for it.

post edited by ellasherlin - 2010/10/05 07:31:38

watch smallville episode | watch free movies
    Without some goal and some effort to reach it, no one can live.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re: RE: Drum Tuning! 2010/10/05 07:42:28 (permalink)
    Welcome home, Yep!
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re: RE: Drum Tuning! 2010/10/05 09:33:42 (permalink)
    Hi James, It looks like this tread dates back to 2005.

But, I thought I would add to it anyways ...

Drum head choice is really the drummer’s preference.  There are 3 main brands, Remo, Evans and Aquarian and there is a boatload of choices amongst each manufacture.  In addition to the musical aspect of your drum head choice, economics may play a role.  You can easily spend in excess of a hundred bucks just to put new heads on one bass drum.

The choice of drum head can accentuate certain qualities of the drum which certainly plays a role in optimizing the sound of the drum for a particular genre (i.e., a jazz cat will most likely be playing different heads than a speed metal freak).

Some of the differences between the heads include the number of plies of plastic, coating on the plastic, “rings” to control overtones, “dots” to reinforce the striking point and also to add mass and control overtones and holes of various sizes and in different positions.

Calf skin heads are great in certain situations.  I once head an interview with Ringo in which he said that his early recording were done with a calf skin head on his snare … Prior to Paul breaking it.

When installing a head there are a couple of different methods … This is what I do for plastic heads only (calf skin require a different technique):

(1) Place the head on the bearing edge and then spin it once or twice (like a steering wheel).
    (2) Start to gently tighten the head using a crisscrossing pattern.  For example, loosely tighten one threaded rod and the do the same to the rod directly across from it and not the one next to it.
    (3) Continue this crisscrossing pattern until the head is very tight (tighter than you would play).  While you are doing this you will hear the glue cracking.
    (4) When the head is nice and tight, I take the palm of my hand and with the drum on the ground, I push down on the head with a fair amount of force … at this point you should not hear any more glue cracking.
    (5) Start backing the threaded rods out using the crisscrossing pattern to get the drum roughly to the desired tone.  When you are close, start fine tuning.
    (6) To fine tune, turn the threaded rods only slightly while tapping the drum with a drum stick close to that rod near the edge.  The goal is to get the same tone around the entire head at each tuning point.
    post edited by quantumeffect - 2010/10/05 09:53:05

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re: RE: Drum Tuning! 2010/10/12 19:04:35 (permalink)
    Most people will say use your use your ears and have patiance...... If you fancy a good read the Drum Tuning Bible is full of great things to read on

But personaly I have a drum Dial and use it every day now.

I love it its Quick and easy to use

I use the dial to get it tuned to the sound I like then I write down what the settings are so I can always get it again very quickly. for eg have a list for Rock sounds metal sounds Jazz sounds etc :)

Its great for if you are tuneing up in a pub thats full of people and you dont want to be makeing a racket before the gig starts aswell :)

I would defo recomend one for the price there worth it

It saves a lot of time in the studio when tuneing aswell thats when I first had a show of one I was in recording and a guy gave me a shot of one I was impressed and bought one the next day!

I use mine al the time now :)

One other tip if you are finding nasty over tones or ringing from toms or snares is some moon Jell that stuff is great aswell http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/P/3749/MOONGEL

Its basicaly a damper pad you can add as much or as little as you fel you need to get the right sound

I hate to see nice drums with there skins coverd in gaffa tape home made dampening  theres no need for it :)

I hope some of this helps you out!

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1