Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit

Author
huffy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
2010/02/16 17:14:17 (permalink)

Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit

I'm thinking about ordering some SmartLoops for the first time (partly because they have a dedicated, multitrack collection of good-sounding 6/8 grooves, thank you).  Thing is, I'm using Sonar PE 8.5 64-bit, in Vista 64 Home, and earlier today I read that Sonar 64-bit's Media Browser is/was unable to "see" REX loops in the main browser window (as opposed to the Explorer area), reportedly because REX isn't 64-bit compatible.  Is this [still] true?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=1920056&mpage=1#1920097

IIRC, REX loops import with little markers already placed at locations relevant to the project's tempo and beat lines? (sorry if that's not the right term).  I like the sound of that, but darnit, it's crucial that I be able to audition the loops in the Media Browser while my existing arrangement/project (which had drums but needs better ones) plays along with it at project tempo - rather than having to drag/drop the loops into the project each time just to see if it works with the song.  So 64-bit Media Browser compatibility is a must for me...

Although...

I do have Stylus RMX (which I realize is also 64-bit) - But does it use any kind of "bridge" that would let me audition REX loops with it, rather than with the Media Browser?

BTW, I'm not against acidized wav.  If it turns out that that's the better choice for what I'm wanting to do, fine.  I guess I'm just under the impression that REX2 = newer = somehow better.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

9 Replies Related Threads

Jind
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 878
    Re:Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit 2010/02/16 17:31:37 (permalink)
    For me - I went the ACID route with a recent purchase from SmartLoops.  Yes, the 64 bit REX loops is still an issue and seems it will remain an issue until Propellerhead gets of it's but and adds 64 bit support.

I prefer the ease of auditioning things in Media Browser as I'd go crazy dragging and dropping trying to determine the loop I want/need.

Jind

Sonar X2 PE, Cakewalk V Studio 100; Intel i7 w/ 16 GB Ram, MS Windows 8.1
    huffy
    Re:Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit 2010/02/16 21:35:16 (permalink)
    Hey thanks for the reply.  Yeah, Media Browser is a great addition, when it works.  Actually, I mentioned Stylus RMX because I remember that REX support was one of its selling points (for some), but I've never bought a REX library myself.  But now that I'm sort of interested, and reading up on it, apparently Stylus first converts the REX loops into RMX loops, which I guess essentially converts the "non-64-bit-ness" right out of 'em(?)  If so, then I may not have to rule out the REX route after all.

If anyone here swears by REX format over ACIDized wav, for whatever reason, hey let's have it.  I just don't want to regret not choosing it, if there's a good reason to.  Especially if I'm going to go for one of the bigger, more expensive loop bundles. (...it's too bad SmartLoops doesn't just include both formats, like Nine Volt Audio does with their collections.)
    post edited by huffy - 2010/02/16 21:42:40
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit 2010/02/16 22:40:40 (permalink)
    If you decide to purchase anything from Smart Loops, be sure to go through the DigiFreq Deals page:
    http://digifreq.com/?MusicDeals

You can get 10% off all Smart Loops (and other companies) products...

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

huffy
    Re:Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit 2010/02/16 22:57:25 (permalink)
    Thanks, Scott.

BTW, (just brainstormin' here) does anyone know whether 64-bit Sonar's "Import Audio" dialog box, with its little "Play" button, "sees" and plays REX files like the 64-bit Media Browser apparently doesn't?  I don't have any REX loops, but the Import Audio method does play regular audio loops in time and at project tempo just like Media Browser.  And if it's more akin to the Explorer part of the Media Browser, which does see REX, maybe it can be a sneaky little workaround?  (not holding my breath though.)  Just wonderin'.
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit 2010/02/16 23:14:46 (permalink)
    huffy

Thanks, Scott.

BTW, (just brainstormin' here) does anyone know whether 64-bit Sonar's "Import Audio" dialog box, with its little "Play" button, "sees" and plays REX files like the 64-bit Media Browser apparently doesn't?  I don't have any REX loops, but the Import Audio method does play regular audio loops in time and at project tempo just like Media Browser.  And if it's more akin to the Explorer part of the Media Browser, which does see REX, maybe it can be a sneaky little workaround?  (not holding my breath though.)  Just wonderin'.

Here's my 2 cents ...

If you're basically looking for loops that are already "sliced and diced" so to speak, Rex files do the job.
    But there are WAY more WAVs available "out there" that can be sliced and diced in Sonar or other plugins.  Kontakt, Battery 3, BPM, etc, can all work in that regard.  But there's a lot of slicing plugins out there as well.

I find there's just a much larger selection of WAV (acidized or otherwise) in the marketplace, and a lot of free stuff too.

Almost any wav file can be acidized in Sonar anyway.   Groove Clipping is your friend ;)

So it's not really an one or the other.  Both approaches are good and useful.  It's more a matter of selection/availability.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    marcus3
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit 2010/02/17 05:10:06 (permalink)
    yes it is i try playing rex loops on my 64 bit. i ask someone at sweetwater and they conatct cakewalk this what they said...

(Hi Marcus, 

I confirmed with Cakewalk that a 64 bit installation of Sonar cannot use REX files. It was explained to me that the problem lies within the REX file format. Propellerheads needs to update the REX file format for 64 bit compatibility. 

Using a 32 bit version of Sonar will allow you to import REX files. Incidentally, Cakewalk said that you can actually have a 64 bit and a 32 bit version of Sonar installed at the same time without conflict (just exit one before starting the other). 

Go with acid loops are wavs..
    moffdnb
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1332
    Re:Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit 2010/02/17 09:31:39 (permalink)
    Whatever about 64bit you would have to choose REX over ACID especially if you adjusting tempos of the files.  You are killing transients with ACID but REX will at least keep these intact.
    Frank Basile
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 466
    Re:Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit 2010/02/17 14:34:20 (permalink)
    You can download a bunch of free loops in REX and ACID format here... http://www.smartloops.com/Free/

Then you can see which format works best for you.

~Frank
    huffy
    Re:Drum loops - REX2 vs ACID WAV for Sonar 64-bit 2010/02/18 15:03:24 (permalink)
    Excellent idea -  thanks, Frank. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1