Drum programming with Drum Samplers

Author
Stevethesearcher
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
2008/10/24 18:36:15 (permalink)

Drum programming with Drum Samplers

Hi Guys,

I just bought my usual copy of Music tech and there is a demo version of Native Instruments Battery 3 drum program.

I personally use Redrum in Reason to create my drums as I like working with pattern and the steps it provides. I couldnt make head or tail of the drums of Session drummer. I took one look at it and thought where are the steps?

Does that sound like an extreme newbie to you.Of course it does but I would like to know.

What software drums are like Redrum in Reason.By that I mean you create patterns based on steps/ step sequencer style.

I really like Redrum but I would like to know what else is out there.

Getting back to Session drummer I just didnt get the idea behind it. I like to build drums up from scratch starting with the kick then the snare and then percussive elements etc.

However it seemed to me and I am probably wrong that the session drummer plays drums and then you deconstruct or edit it which is the exact opposite to Redrum where you start from nothing and then build up.

As you can hear from this post a bit of information about the different software drum programs and how you actually create the beats you want with them would be gratefully appreciated.

So far I can use Redrum but it has a very limited amount of drum sounds. I will have to go digging around for drums refills on the Internet to expand my choice.

22 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/25 21:24:36 (permalink)
    Have you tried Jamstix... You start with nothing, select a style, kit & drummer, and JS builds it all for you.... real artificial intelegence... www.rayzoon.com get your free demo and give it a shot.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Stevethesearcher
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/25 21:54:36 (permalink)
    Hi Herb,

Thanks for your reply.

I am doing intensive research into the following EZdrummer, BFD ,Guru ,Battery 3,Addictive Drums and Jamstix.

Certainly I do like the grid that Jamstix has for inputting your own drum pattern.
    I will definitely try the demo.

I didnt like the BFD interface. It could be amazing but it just didnt appeal to me somehow on a personal level.

EZdrummer had a nice simple interface but almost too much.

Addictive drums looked good. Really liked the layout of it. However no way to create your own patterns in it. You would have to drag over a Midi Pattern to Sonar and then open up the Piano Roll. At least thats what it seems like to me.

Guru has a pattern sequencer but the interface seemed a little messy.

These are all initial observations and they could all be wrong.Its just how it seemed to me during initial research.
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/25 23:44:59 (permalink)
    Battery is a sample player only. It's arsenal of tools for sample manipulation is excellent for drums and perc , but it has nothing to do with step recording or playing back sequences. Very broad and fairly articulate library too.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/26 07:52:28 (permalink)
    Steve

You can export the patterns you create in Redrum as midi and use any of the samplers you've listed to play the sounds so if you like that method of programming there's no reason not to carry on using it.

It also depends on what kind of drums you are after.

For acoustic kits I swear by RDK 2 albeit I've heavily adapted and added to it over the last few months but as well as the midi based NN-XT sampler drums it comes with Redrum versions too and as you have Reason already it works out as a real bargain at around £70 (there isn't a 24 bit multi miked, velocity layered library that comes anywhere near close to that kind of money)

I'd recommend Battery out of those above for Electronic kits as its so easy to set up different samples to make up your own different kits which could then be played easily using the midi track you can create with the Redrum step sequencer and again B3 comes with a great all-rounder of a library.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2008/10/26 07:57:24

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/26 11:56:42 (permalink)
    Steve.......

I cannot disagree with JonBouy because he is far more advanced at this than I am.............

but I would like to address the Session Drummer part of your question..........

Now Mind you I am no drummer and do struggle with this topic.I know what I want in the end but getting it there is usually one of the last things I will do to a track just because it is so intricate for me......

sometime what works out well for me in SD2 is to just plug in a pattern that is as close to what I want / need as possible..........then I open my piano roll view and start deleting EVERYTHING that is non essential........sometime all the way down to the kick...........and then the fun begins........
    I start adding hits where I would like them to be..move them around..work on the velocities........etc.........all in all in is not unusual for me to spend everything from two to three days to two to three weeks working on a single drum track........and still they are not professional.............but it is the best I can do............

but that is how I do SD2

hope it helped at least

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Stevethesearcher
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/26 12:06:45 (permalink)
    Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply to my drum question. I am personally baffled that Redrum seems to be the only drum software soft synth that uses a Step Pattern approach. Thank God I chose Reason or I would really have been stuck for drums.

Its all very well having loads of Midi patterns that you could drag into your host sequencer.However not having the ability to program your own patterns in the drum plugin yourself is a big downer for me.

Ideally you would have the choice to do both. Have a step grid to program your own patterns as well as a library of Midi patterns that you could drag into your host sequencer if you so wished to and edit if necessary. That would be the ideal scenario.

I personally find it hard to believe that there is no such software on the market.

I cant believe there is no Redrum alternative drum program out there except perhaps Guru. I know Jamstix has a little step sequencing grid and thats a plus but it seems more like an add on than an intrinsic part of the program.

I just pray that Reason 5 when it comes maintains the Redrum and hopefully in its present format.

post edited by Stevethesearcher - 2008/10/26 12:10:27
    Jonbouy
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/26 12:25:11 (permalink)
    Steve

Cliff is on it as far as SD2 goes and Sonar 7 onwards has a separate step sequencer (similar to the Redrum programming concept) that you can apply the results of to any drum sampler too (for the sake of increased flexibility), but Redrum is the only thing that I know of that still combines the 2 things in the analogue of a hardware machine in quite the same way and again as I suggested you can output the results of your sequencing efforts from Redrum too.

It's a very popular part of the Reason package so I can't see it being remove or altered beyond recognition anytime soon.

Short of actually learning to play a kit it is certainly worth looking into dipping your toe into the midi pool at some point as the theory (i.e using steps or beats within each bar) is the same but you will get a lot more flexibility in the long term just by being able to adjust midi clips in the way that Cliff is alluding too.

Having said that many folk program their beats exclusively with Redrum and with certain genres its hard to beat (scuse the pun).
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2008/10/26 12:31:12

Truckermusic
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/26 14:19:01 (permalink)
    JonBouy

Thanks for the support because I was hoping I really was helping....I did forget to mention any time I am doing a drum track I always try to imangine if a drummer could actually play this other wise then I will try to do two seperat parts for two seperate players...........

as far as the step sequencer goes in cake..........I have no idea what and or why but it confuses the heck out of me........I know that it is suppost to be ez but the operator just is never home on this one..........so I will usually avoid it if I can......

Cliff

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Stevethesearcher
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/26 14:29:09 (permalink)
    Cliff

Thanks for your reply to my thread.I appreciate your response.

Indeed the way you outline seems to be the only way to use the likes of Battery,Session Drummer, EZdrummer,Addictive Drummer etc.

At least you and Jon have confirmed what I already expected that Redrum more or less stands alone in the way you work with it. You start with nothing in Redrum and you build up.

I think Guru is also step sequenced but I wasnt mad about its interface.However that I confess is a personal thing.

In those other applications you start with everything and you edit or reconstruct. Its a different approach.

However I can see the advantages if you come across a pattern that you like.That will save you a lot of time programming a beat.

As I said if you could do it both ways that would be the ideal situation.
    Truckermusic
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/26 20:09:24 (permalink)
    Steve
    I am glad I was able to help you.........
    but please remember JONBOUY is the expert and I would go with his opinion first............my out line to you was just the way I approach my tracks and hoping I was doing it corectly.......

Cliff

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/26 22:17:40 (permalink)
    any time I am doing a drum track I always try to imangine if a drummer could actually play this

Jamstix has a limb reality function built in...no 4 armed 3 footed drummers. I've added some edited beats (just to see) that JS refused to play because a real drummer could not hit 3 drums at the same time plus a cymbal.... this function is bypassable if you want a mutant drummer.

BMI/NSAI

Jonbouy
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/26 22:58:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

... this function is bypassable if you want a mutant drummer.

Mutant Drummer? Now that IS realism, right there...

Glennb
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/27 01:57:22 (permalink)
    Not sure if I am misunderstanding you, but with Session Drummer, you can start from nothing working from there up. you just load the kit, then go to the piano roll view or midi events and edit from there. I see your preference to edit in a step sequencer, but I have little experience with that and prefer to edit in piano roll view or even staves.

Glenn
    ORIGINAL: Stevethesearcher

Cliff

Thanks for your reply to my thread.I appreciate your response.

Indeed the way you outline seems to be the only way to use the likes of Battery,Session Drummer, EZdrummer,Addictive Drummer etc.

At least you and Jon have confirmed what I already expected that Redrum more or less stands alone in the way you work with it. You start with nothing in Redrum and you build up.

I think Guru is also step sequenced but I wasnt mad about its interface.However that I confess is a personal thing.

In those other applications you start with everything and you edit or reconstruct. Its a different approach.

However I can see the advantages if you come across a pattern that you like.That will save you a lot of time programming a beat.

As I said if you could do it both ways that would be the ideal situation.

Glenn in Aus
    SHSXL6 on laptop with Intel i5 CPU M480 @ 2.67 GHZ 2.67GHz 4G RAM (2.86 usable?) 32Bit operating system on Windows 7 -> Presonus USB Audiobox.
    Truckermusic
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/27 07:21:53 (permalink)

quote:

... this function is bypassable if you want a mutant drummer.

Mutant Drummer? Now that IS realism, right there...

JouBouy

I am surprised.......Just because someone has the advantage of having one more linb than you or I does not mean we should pick on them!!!!!! We should be happy for their advantages!!!!!! LOL....................

Cliff

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/27 07:43:32 (permalink)
    any time I am doing a drum track I always try to imangine if a drummer could actually play this

Jamstix has a limb reality function built in...no 4 armed 3 footed drummers. I've added some edited beats (just to see) that JS refused to play because a real drummer could not hit 3 drums at the same time plus a cymbal.... this function is bypassable if you want a mutant drummer.

Overdubbing extra drums happens a lot more in recordings than people think. It can add fullness or create a subtle super-human feel to the track. Just don't do it on every song...You may stick with this if you want a live feel maybe, but even then who's to say that someone else isn't helping out with the drums? Singers tend to have free hands, I've seen live bands that have 2 drummers, and don't forget drummers who hook up foot pedals to toms, cowbells, etc.
    post edited by altima_boy_2001 - 2008/10/27 07:45:30

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/27 08:42:51 (permalink)
    Overdubbing extra drums happens a lot more in recordings than people think.
    Even Ringo would spontaneously sprout and extra arm or two on the Beatles records. Reality is a good thing but don't let it dictate your vision to you.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Jonbouy
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/27 11:55:21 (permalink)
    Even Ringo would spontaneously sprout and extra arm or two on the Beatles records.

Exactly, that was my point about 'mutant' drummers, Ringo being endowed like any good Englishman of course wouldn't necessarily need an extra arm...

Glenbo makes a good point here in that we tend to follow what we first get comfortable with and I reckon its worth extending beyond that and try to embrace many ways of working.

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/27 12:10:01 (permalink)
    Although I usually keep my drum tracks "non mutant" I don't think there is anything wrong with doing impossible parts now and then...
    Of course it depends on you goal, but recording is an illusion anyway...creating something that is not necessarily repeatable live is common.

But getting back to Steves point...
    Addictive drums looked good. Really liked the layout of it. However no way to create your own patterns in it. You would have to drag over a Midi Pattern to Sonar and then open up the Piano Roll. At least thats what it seems like to me.

This is not true. You can enter hits via a midi controller.
    Any of the recent drum progs, i.e. EZ, Addictive, Jamstix will give you the ability to create realistic drum tracks.
    Stevethesearcher
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/27 19:24:20 (permalink)
    Glenn and RLD-I take your points.

I was not technically accurate in what I said.

However I think you get the jist of what I was trying to say in that the workflow of Redrum is quite different to Session drummer and the rest.

As for playing notes on the keyboard thats a big No-No. My timing would be all over the place. Its Piano roll view or step sequencing for me.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/27 19:37:15 (permalink)
    You have the option to shut off the realism mode.... so if you want a 4 armed drummer... you can do that.

as far as editing... the jamstix window has a built in "beats" window. It shows a grid like view...top line is one hand...next down is the opposite hand, next line down, one foot, 4th line down, opposite foot, and the last 2 lines at the bottom are R & L percussion (latin and special stuff like cowbell) All beats are displayed by hand, foot, and time in the measure. Edit, delete, add, drag and paste...all from this very easy to use window that shows one measure at a time. Another window beside it shows 10 measures.

If you want to edit the midi.... simply export the midi data to a midi track and edit with your favorite editing method. It is easier to edit in JS. This program is brilliantly designed for ease of use...considering how complex this program actually is and what you can do with it.

I've been using it for a while and there are so many aspects of JS that I have not even touched yet..... but I was creating track with it easily in no time at all.

BMI/NSAI

Stevethesearcher
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/28 08:21:04 (permalink)
    Herb,

Thanks for your input into this thread. I have downloaded the Jamstix and Addictive Drums Demo and I am going to try them out this week.

I will have a look at the others in time such as EZdrummer and the rest.

Redrum suits me down to the ground as regards programming but as a step sequencer it does sound very stiff. I am hoping these other packages will give more of a real feel and I can then alternate between the two as required.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Drum programming with Drum Samplers 2008/10/28 18:16:43 (permalink)
    mutant drummer.

Redundant!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1