Drum set method books

Author
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
2010/08/12 03:41:56 (permalink)

Drum set method books

Does anyone know of any drum method books that are good for a 6 year old. 

(no it's not for Bapu....yes I realize he "acts" like a 6 year old)

I've been teaching drum set to a 6 year old once a week for the past 5 weeks or so. And I suppose I can compile the lessons I've been doing with him into a book and write one myself by the end of the year ... but boy .... this is been a lot of work.

anyway - if anyone knows of a method book on a 6 year old level let me know. 

Piano method books are available for 6 year olds - you would think drums would be too -  but I haven't been able to find any 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

6 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Drum set method books 2010/08/12 08:16:47 (permalink)
    Do you mean something that substitutes rat-a-tat-tat for paradiddle?

Or something more sublime?

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Drum set method books 2010/08/12 08:31:52 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Do you mean something that substitutes rat-a-tat-tat for paradiddle?

Or something more sublime?

yeah - not rat a tat tat  - 

something that teaches  technique as well as reading music 

so far he can play 4 different rock beats on set........... single  - double and triple paradiddles - up and down the river  exercise 

we just learned proper single flam - (that was fun.....sigh)

and Ive been having him count and play simple quarter note and eight note rhythms just on snare -  READING MUSIC 

but i have been making the lessons up from scratch and writing  them down for him  - 

would like a book instead - less work and planning on my part - especially as I get more students 

especially just getting him to hold the sticks right - match gripe  - Have to stay on him 

Alfred's begging drum set method  is nice with a DVD - but I would say for a beginning 10 year old - maybe - not a 6 year old - I bought it to review it - and it's actually quite excellent - especially playing along with the dvd exercises- 

I THINK that book just too hard for a 6 year old but the easiest I can find  - we go very vey slow with him - he's a shy quiet kid - his dad sits in on the lesson and learns along so that he stays on top of him when he practices through out the week 

I dunno 

I just feel more comfortable teaching from a method book  

but like I said - by the end of the year I may have enough material to publish my own book - "How to teach a 6 year old drums" ... by mooch

(shrugs)

Just throwing the line out there for book suggestions guys 

post edited by Mooch4056 - 2010/08/12 08:46:31

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Drum set method books 2010/08/12 08:42:51 (permalink)
    You seem like a excellent teacher.

:-)

I never had one... so I can't relate any insights from a students perspective.

It is sort of an eye opener to consider a 6 year seriously studying drums from a book. That's a great start... and a gateway to all the instruments.

best regards,
    mike

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Drum set method books 2010/08/12 09:49:23 (permalink)
    Just remember Paul, when you write for a 6 year old, do it as though you are talking to yourself me.

I hope you corner the market on "Drums for 6 Year Old Children".
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:Drum set method books 2010/08/12 10:29:34 (permalink)
    Two classic beginner books are Rockin’ Bass Drum by John Lombardo (Alfred Music) and Advanced Rock and Roll Drumming by Roy Burns (Belwin Mills) … I have both of them and I have no idea if they are still in print.  They are both very good books but, like you said, probably better for a 10 year old … that said, if you carefully choose the exercises I think you could make either one work.

Both books focus on single bass drum technique and the exercises are all shown with a traditional (jazz style) heel and toe / 2 and 4 left foot high hat pattern.

If I had to choose one book, I would probably go with Burns’ Advanced Rock and Roll Drumming.  It is set up more like a teaching / instructional text with the exercises starting simple and building in a logical fashion.  For example, isolating the snare, then isolating the bass and then putting them together.  Additionally, there are sections covering other rhythms commonly used in the rock genre (e.g., shuffle, bossa, etc.) that are also presented at an introductory level.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Drum set method books 2010/08/12 12:15:40 (permalink)
    Back in the day.... I took drums in school... and yeah, there are books available.... but they were hard to read..... jut a bunch of lines with little black dots on them.....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1