Drummap support for VST plugins

Author
Hermu
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2015/05/06 02:51:33 (permalink)
1 (1)

Drummap support for VST plugins

Cakewalk SONAR Drummap handling is very complex and for VST drumsets unpracticable, because Drummap view support is for external MIDI instruments.
On the other side note names could only switched for all tracks and not only for one track!

actually we use more Drumset VST plugins and there are some Cakewalk Drumsets VST (Addictive Drums 2, SI-Drum Kit, Sesseion Drummer and third party drumsets) which should be switched to Drummap view.

7 Replies Related Threads

TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Drummap support for VST plugins 2015/05/07 22:30:27 (permalink)

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    Hermu
    Re: Drummap support for VST plugins 2015/05/08 05:59:55 (permalink)
    TomHelvey
    You can find a drum map for AD2 here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013364/Setting-up-a-Drum-Map-for-Addictive-Drums-2-in-SONAR-X3

Thank's for the tip!
    But after assign AD2 to a Drummap, a double click on track sympol for Instrument didn't open SD2 VST plugin GUI.
    To open AD2 GUI you have to reassign again to AD2 VST plugin, that's not realy a proffesional handling.
    KPerry
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3120
    Re: Drummap support for VST plugins 2015/05/08 15:26:27 (permalink)
    That behaviour, while annoying, does make sense: what plugin would it open if the drum map on that track had multiple VSTs associated with it?

Leave the synth rack open and double click on AD2 there.
    Adralicus
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Drummap support for VST plugins 2015/05/10 11:57:26 (permalink)
    Anyone have drum maps for Steven Slate SSD4 ?

Sonar Platinum
    Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | Intel Haswell i7 4770K @ 4.3 Mhz | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung 820 256GB SSD System Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD A/V Drive | 1 x Crucial 512 SSD Samples Drive | 1x Gigabyte GTX 660 2gb | 40" 4k Monitor |  RME Fireface 400 |Windows 8.1 x64

King Conga
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 519
    Re: Drummap support for VST plugins 2015/05/11 18:27:35 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hermu,

Unless you misstated your complaint, you were in error re: the map only responding to ext. MIDI devices.  While the current drum map feature is less than worthless, as far as I'm concerned you can indeed use ANY sound resource you like.  You just have to understand how to set the proper port, and then the proper MIDI channel.  

For instance, I used to use drum sounds from my S'Tank library, along with sounds from my Alesis Fusion workstation, and even some from my Roland TD-8.  So the way I would set that map up would be the following:

C3      C3   Studio Kick   Ch.10   SampleTank 1 ... This is a VST.
    C#3    C3   Funk Kick     Ch.10   Alesis Fusion
    D3      C3   Brush Kick    Ch.10   Roland TD-8

Another tip from a VERY FRUSTRATED drummer/customer:
    You might try making a bunch of smaller maps for each synth/VST that you have, and naming them for each drum part.  For instance:

Make maps for all of your kicks, snares, toms, and maybe cymbals, and/or percussion for ABC Synth, then name it as such, like ABC Kick Map, ABC Snare Map.  Then, do the same for your DEF Synth, and the same for GHI Synth. This way when you have to delete a synth out of the synth rack, you won't have to remember which note went to which port, or channel the next time you use that map.  Since you named it after the synth, you don't have to remember anything, you just use choose the correct port from the dropdown menu. THIS is yet another feature the current drum map IS SCREAMING FOR that I learned how to work around, since they offer no means of printing the map!!  What's also cool about this approach, is if you have a full 16 ch. VST synth, like S'Tank, or even Cakewalk TTS, you can load up ALL 16 ch.s (not just Ch. 10) with all of your fav, kits, or samples, then make your map(s) from that.  If you need that particular synth to play other instruments, hopefully, your PC is hefty enough you can load another instance of that same synth.  OR, maybe tolerate 2nd choice sounds from another synth, until you get all of your MIDI drums mixed, then you can open up another Sonar project file, import the mixed down WAV file of your drum mix, and proceed from there.

One final tip.  You might consider adding your signature with all of your pertinent equip, and s'ware.  This makes it like WAAY simpler for other users to help you since they can see kind of what you have, and make recs from there.

Other than that, it's just a Cakewalk...right?  RIIIGHT!

Mobo:ASUS M5A97 EVO/CPU:AMD FX-6200
    WD SSD 250Gig
    Video:AMD Radeon HD 6670, 2Gig RAM Sys: RAM:16Gig/120Gig SSD, 1TByte
    O/S: Win10 Pro 64-Bit
    PreSonus 1818VSL/Alesis Fusion 8HD/Presonus FaderPort8, JBL LSR308
    Sonar Plat/Aud. CS6/BIAB2019/ST3.7/SO3.5
    Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Drummap support for VST plugins 2015/05/11 21:06:35 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The whole UI needs to be rewritten. I suggest they look at how AD2 creates the maps.

The other things is that it doesn't belong in preferences, it needs it's own window on the multidock... and I should be able to audition changes immediately after I change something.
    Hermu
    Re: Drummap support for VST plugins 2015/05/12 08:34:04 (permalink)
    King Conga
    Hermu,

Unless you misstated your complaint, you were in error re: the map only responding to ext. MIDI devices.  While the current drum map feature is less than worthless, as far as I'm concerned you can indeed use ANY sound resource you like.  You just have to understand how to set the proper port, and then the proper MIDI channel.  

For instance, I used to use drum sounds from my S'Tank library, along with sounds from my Alesis Fusion workstation, and even some from my Roland TD-8.  So the way I would set that map up would be the following:

C3      C3   Studio Kick   Ch.10   SampleTank 1 ... This is a VST.
    C#3    C3   Funk Kick     Ch.10   Alesis Fusion
    D3      C3   Brush Kick    Ch.10   Roland TD-8

Another tip from a VERY FRUSTRATED drummer/customer:
    You might try making a bunch of smaller maps for each synth/VST that you have, and naming them for each drum part.  For instance:

Make maps for all of your kicks, snares, toms, and maybe cymbals, and/or percussion for ABC Synth, then name it as such, like ABC Kick Map, ABC Snare Map.  Then, do the same for your DEF Synth, and the same for GHI Synth. This way when you have to delete a synth out of the synth rack, you won't have to remember which note went to which port, or channel the next time you use that map.  Since you named it after the synth, you don't have to remember anything, you just use choose the correct port from the dropdown menu. THIS is yet another feature the current drum map IS SCREAMING FOR that I learned how to work around, since they offer no means of printing the map!!  What's also cool about this approach, is if you have a full 16 ch. VST synth, like S'Tank, or even Cakewalk TTS, you can load up ALL 16 ch.s (not just Ch. 10) with all of your fav, kits, or samples, then make your map(s) from that.  If you need that particular synth to play other instruments, hopefully, your PC is hefty enough you can load another instance of that same synth.  OR, maybe tolerate 2nd choice sounds from another synth, until you get all of your MIDI drums mixed, then you can open up another Sonar project file, import the mixed down WAV file of your drum mix, and proceed from there.

One final tip.  You might consider adding your signature with all of your pertinent equip, and s'ware.  This makes it like WAAY simpler for other users to help you since they can see kind of what you have, and make recs from there.

Other than that, it's just a Cakewalk...right?  RIIIGHT!

there are some software parts in Cakewalk software which are not actualised on todays standard.
    Other popular DAWs have actualised her software and have now a better usability.
    But you can say, it's a Cakewalk DAW which can frustrate users

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Aspire XC-605, Intel i7 4770K @ 3.4 Ghz, 16 GB Ram, Onboard Sound, ASIO4All
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    NOVATION Impulse 61, M-Audio Oxygen 61 3rd, Roland SD-50, EMU Shortboard 49, iCON iControls, Akai APC mini
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1