Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops?

Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
2011/01/20 05:28:23 (permalink)

Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops?

JB, maybe you can start a thread on the difference between cast rims and pressed rims.

Greg posed this great question in the 'Can I pick gutarists minds' thread earlier. 

It's a good question. 

Indeed, to emphasise how important it is, think the difference between 'Charlie' and 'Ringo's sound.

Discuss.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy

25 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 08:33:51 (permalink)
    I played drums back in school.... I owned one set of medium sticks, a practice pad and one metal (chrome) snare drum***.....now days its VST's for me.... but I'll be watching as this discussion proceeds. I might learn something new here.

*** just a wild guess here: I'm thinking my mom regretted the day she allowed me to sign up for drums in the school band, and bought that snare drum..... and she probably still celebrates the day it was sold to some other unsuspecting fool.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/20 08:36:53

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 08:51:31 (permalink)
    I got to spend time with a Navajo medicine man while he made a
    water drum.
    He used leather to tighten the skin head, lacing it around the drum.
    And what a great drum it was.

Are there more material choices Jon? If so does the type of wood the
    drum is made with a consideration when choosing the rims?

I'm not a drummer so questions may be dumb...sorry.

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 09:08:27 (permalink)
    I know that a lot of drummers prefer the sound of pressed hoops.

I'm a metal mechanic enthusiast... so I bought a kit with cast and milled hoops.

My drums are made out of Birch ply... supposedly rounder sounding that maple... I don't know what I think about that. Most drummers never heard of Helmholtz and only some portion of them ever heard of tuning... even fewer are good at it. So when they say things like Maple is brighter... I think of about a dozen oher variables they seem unaware of.

But anyways,

Cast on Birch is what I own.

I do think I can hear a difference in rims and some guys do have a style that seems to go well with the pressed version so I understand why they go with that regardless of the pricing.

best regards,
    mike

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 09:43:02 (permalink)
    I own pressed rims on Maple, and naturally, being the kit I have arrived at after many years, is my preferred sound, but of course thats not to say it has to be to everyones taste. As Mike McCue refers to, the stick, drum head, tuning, and even style of play all contribute to the overall sound.

I like to pay as much attention to my drum sound as to my guitar sound(s) When ever I get complimented on my playing by an audience member after playing live (usually by a drunk!), I often think it's not the virtuosity of my playing, but more the quality of the sound I generate from my kit that draws their attention.

Cast hoops on perfect bearing edges sound awesome on a well tuned expensive drum, they wont warp under tension. My take is they are the perfect recording drum, where a forensic recording is made and mixed. Pressed hoops, well tuned and tensioned properly - on a GOOD drum, shouldn't warp either, and tend towards making the drum sound 'ring' more, good or bad? you decide...
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2011/01/20 09:48:54

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Jonbouy
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 11:10:30 (permalink)

Cast hoops on perfect bearing edges sound awesome on a well tuned expensive drum, they wont warp under tension.

There you have it.

The main advantage and also disadvantages of cast hoops.

Aside from the boxier tone from a good cast hoop it is even more imperative to get the bearing edges right even more important is that heads have a tendency not to be completely accurate.  A little ruche around the edge of a head will render it completely useless on a cast hooped drum where as you might get away with it on a pressed steel one.

My preference in the studio was for mostly pressed hoops precisely because you had more scope for getting rid of an errant frequency or overtone and also because there was often a likelyhood of having a complete change of sound from big and fat to a real ska type 'ring' going on I most often used to use a cheap as you like Pearl 'Export Series' snare for that kind of abuse, light and bright with a wide range of accessible tone.  The fewer lugs with coarse threads helped with that range too as changes could be done really quickly.  The only drawback is they had a tendency to detune over time for which I found spraymount on the threads was a good cure.  So if you ever come across a gummed up, sticky old cheap Pearl snare think of me, I used to leave them all over the place.

For a player of a kit though for the best tones, that great Gretsch sound is hard to beat.  But being as I was an endorsee much of the time (I stress this was more likely to do with my sales ability rather than any virtuosity)  I ended up going through a wide range of brands, gear and all different kinds of materials used.

Hoops for me though are the thing that exerts the single greatest influence on a sound.  And them big ol' cast fellas are hard to beat...

Take it away Charlie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQEF_KCOgPc

post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/20 11:18:13

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 11:19:54 (permalink)
    When I shopped for my drum kit I was surprised at how the bearing edge was treated as the result of some type of black art.

Being a woodworker type I found it amusing that inconsistency in execution of forming a bearing edge is even considered an issue amongst any product presented as quality made. It sort of suggested to me that even expensive drums are made expensive for many reasons other than the cost of making the shells. Routing a nice bearing edge on a drum shell should be an easy and inexpensive component of the cost.

Having said that I think one of my cast rims is warped... it seems somewhat elliptical. One thing about casting process is that stuff does warp as it cools and so the milling and machining is required to provide a truly consistent fit where it matters.

best regards,
    mike

Jonbouy
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 11:20:11 (permalink)
    Cast on Birch is what I own.

If I had to choose one it would be this.

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 11:28:27 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Cast hoops on perfect bearing edges sound awesome on a well tuned expensive drum, they wont warp under tension.

There you have it.

The main advantage and also disadvantages of cast hoops.

Aside from the boxier tone from a good cast hoop it is even more imperative to get the bearing edges right even more important is that heads have a tendency not to be completely accurate.  A little ruche around the edge of a head will render it completely useless on a cast hooped drum where as you might get away with it on a pressed steel one.

My preference in the studio was for mostly pressed hoops precisely because you had more scope for getting rid of an errant frequency or overtone and also because there was often a likelyhood of having a complete change of sound from big and fat to a real ska type 'ring' going on I most often used to use a cheap as you like Pearl 'Export Series' snare for that kind of abuse, light and bright with a wide range of accessible tone.  The fewer lugs with coarse threads helped with that range too as changes could be done really quickly.  The only drawback is they had a tendency to detune over time for which I found spraymount on the threads was a good cure.  So if you ever come across a gummed up, sticky old cheap Pearl snare think of me, I used to leave them all over the place.

For a player of a kit though for the best tones, that great Gretsch sound is hard to beat.  But being as I was an endorsee much of the time (I stress this was more likely to do with my sales ability rather than any virtuosity)  I ended up going through a wide range of brands, gear and all different kinds of materials used.

Hoops for me though are the thing that exerts the single greatest influence on a sound.  And them big ol' cast fellas are hard to beat...

Take it away Charlie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQEF_KCOgPc
    The suggestion to start a thread like this is because back in '80, our drummer custom-ordered a Gretsch kit and when they arrived, they had pressed hoops. He immediately called his guy at Mike's Drum Shop and complained. He had ordered cast, and the drum guy had them sent ASAP.
    I asked Scott what was the difference, and he said the pressed rims have more overtones than the cast rims. Anyway, that was one good sounding drum kit.
    Now, how about solid heads versus hydraulic heads?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jonbouy
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 11:29:51 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

When I shopped for my drum kit I was surprised at how the bearing edge was treated as the result of some type of black art.

Being a woodworker type I found it amusing that inconsistency in execution of forming a bearing edge is even considered an issue amongst any product presented as quality made. It sort of suggested to me that even expensive drums are made expensive for many reasons other than the cost of making the shells. Routing a nice bearing edge on a drum shell should be an easy and inexpensive component of the cost.

Having said that I think one of my cast rims is warped... it seems somewhat elliptical. One thing about casting process is that stuff does warp as it cools and so the milling and machining is required to provide a truly consistent fit where it matters.

best regards,
    mike

As a matter of course I'd treat any new gear personally I had a friend with a workshop, one of his 'tools' was a flat bed from a snooker table 'papered' with cabinet paper...   Two minutes of emulating an upright washing machine with a shell was usually enough for the worst cases.

Hand finish with a finer grade and some beeswax it makes all the difference especially (although certainly no solely) on cheaper gear where there is often still blobs of glue, splinters and swarf on there from the factory.  Suddenly a previously untunable drum starts showing real promise.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/20 11:34:21

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 11:56:37 (permalink)
    Yes, I'm sold on the idea that the bearing edge is very important... I just didn't realize how difficult it was to get a good bearing edge.

:-)

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 11:57:54 (permalink)
    ... and then the girlie FOH eng climbs on stage armed with her industrial size roll of gaffer tape and an armfull of bar towels...

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 11:59:24 (permalink)
    If I had a girlie FOH eng I might start up another band.

Gaffer tape??? Oh my!

Jonbouy
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 13:09:22 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

If I had a girlie FOH eng I might start up another band.

Gaffer tape??? Oh my!

Do not let any FOH eng. anywhere near my kit unsupervised...

Least of all one with a roll of tape.

FOH "Snare!"

Drummer "OK, 'thwack, thwack, thwack'"

FOH "Yeah, OK theres a sound coming from that though, Kick!"

Drummer "OK, 'thoomp, thoomp, thoomp'"

FOH "Yeah, OK theres a sound coming from that though, Toms!"

Drummer "OK 'flubbadubbadubbadum, flubbadubbadubbadum'"

FOH "Yeah, OK theres some sounds coming from them though, Hats/Cymbals!"

Drummer "OK, chirip, psup, chirip, psup, whish, whush, whoosh, ting, ting"

FOH "Yeah, OK theres some sounds coming from them though, hang on a minute"

Drummer "OK"

FOH mounts the stage. The sound of reels of tape unfurling punctuated by frenzied ripping noises while the kit gets turned into a completely silver grey coloured pyramid.  FOH returns to the desk folding his/her cigarette packet into his/her capped sleeve shirt after lighting one up on the way back.  Sunglasses are moved into position after being previously used like a tiara.

FOH "Give me an all over pattern!"

Drummer "OK, flb,tft,thd,uti,ti, tsf  eh?l"

FOH "That's got it!, probably sounds rubbish through the foldback, but it's bang on out here, trust me"

post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/20 13:16:04

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 13:24:26 (permalink)
    Working FOH is where I learned to tune the drums... not "how" mind you... but simply "to".

I might run through 10 bands on a festival stage and it became obvious that price of kit, brand, material etc. had very little to do with overall sound quality.

Some people made their kit sound great... and some people just played bad sound.

When I bought my kit I knew that learning to tune it was the very most important thing.

best regards,
    mike

UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 15:26:24 (permalink)
    Drum tuning is an art.  I was playing in a band once where somebody rescued a beat up snare drum from a garbage can.  I put new set of heads on it and it sounded fantastic.  I ended up putting aside a couple of other snares for this one. 

A few minutes or hours spent tuning a great drum sound is better than several hours spent trying to fix it in the mix.  (in my opinion) 

My personal preference for drum sounds (depending on style) is a medium-high pitched snare with a lot of "crack" to it, a deep, thumping kick with a felt beater, and melodic toms with a distinctive transient and a bit of a ring. 

I usually put more effort into drum tuning than is really called for, it a "less than desireable" tone creeps me out.  (Sorry, wrong thread)
    Jonbouy
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 19:59:07 (permalink)

I usually put more effort into drum tuning than is really called for, it a "less than desireable" tone creeps me out.

I mean that is about the top and bottom of it (no pun) but then you get these people that tune (or claim to) chromatically.

What's that about?  Them people creep me out.

It's a drum sound I'm after, not no steenking glockespiel.

Some of the rituals certain people go through though are great fun to watch.  (says JB trying to hide his slide rule and torque wrench... )

quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/20 21:48:58 (permalink)
    Funny, all this talk about hoops and the importance of the flange(s) was not mentioned.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/21 03:46:16 (permalink)
    UbiquitousBubba

Drum tuning is an art.  I was playing in a band once where somebody rescued a beat up snare drum from a garbage can.  I put new set of heads on it and it sounded fantastic.  I ended up putting aside a couple of other snares for this one. 

A few minutes or hours spent tuning a great drum sound is better than several hours spent trying to fix it in the mix.  (in my opinion) 

My personal preference for drum sounds (depending on style) is a medium-high pitched snare with a lot of "crack" to it, a deep, thumping kick with a felt beater, and melodic toms with a distinctive transient and a bit of a ring. 

I usually put more effort into drum tuning than is really called for, it a "less than desireable" tone creeps me out.  (Sorry, wrong thread)

Im like that myself Bubba, although I always have a reference sound in my head before tuning any drum, otherwise you can fall into the OCD drum key tweaking that I have observed drummers doing from time to time. They always seem to tighten the batter head a bit, pay no attention to the resonant head and the kit just sounds worse and worse.

I also love toms with loads of ring to them. It's very tempting in a soundcheck to deaden the drums, as they always ring out a lot when played without other instrumentation and in an empty room. However a crowd of people absorb a lot of those tones and a ringing drum just sounds so sweet within the rest of the instrumentation and a reasonably crowded room.

Live drums and recorded drums have to be treated like different instruments, and IMO when drummers / sound guys confuse the tuning techniques is where you get a less than optimal sound.

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/21 06:08:41 (permalink)
    quantumeffect

Funny, all this talk about hoops and the importance of the flange(s) was not mentioned.

Machine milling?

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/21 06:20:25 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

I usually put more effort into drum tuning than is really called for, it a "less than desireable" tone creeps me out.

I mean that is about the top and bottom of it (no pun) but then you get these people that tune (or claim to) chromatically.

What's that about?  Them people creep me out.

It's a drum sound I'm after, not no steenking glockespiel.

Some of the rituals certain people go through though are great fun to watch.  (says JB trying to hide his slide rule and torque wrench... )

When I bought my kit I went out on an deep cover info quest and I found that amongst paid studio cats that tuning with an ear for chromaticism was taking place. I also found many great drummers with great sounds that didn't speak about chromaticism at all... even denied the existence of the consideration. These guys seemed to just sense when a drum was tuned well for a particular song or set. Then I learned of orchestral percussionists and found they all think about chromaticism.

I have heard Nashville cats specifically say things like "I can play that song right now... my drums are tuned for anything in C G or F." and It has caught my attention.

I think I tune by instinct but with a sensibility for chromaticism. I have 7 toms so, they have to be tuned to sound notably different and making them sit well in certain keys gives me a way to spread out the range in a useful manner. I don't use a chromatic tuner or anything like that but I do use a tensionometer.

I am also a certified DT Swiss master wheel builder in the bicycle field... so tensioning a membrane evenly is something I have a interest in. I do both things by feel and use the tensionometers to confirm or help when it gets confusing.

I have on several occasions turned my kit over to highly experienced well studied drummers and they always ask me where I learned to tune the drums... because they don't expect, or often get to, sit down to kit that is ready to go.

I have probably thought a bit to much about drums.

One thing I have learned along the way is that a lot of great drummers with anything goes budgets simply prefer pressed hoops for their special sound.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/01/21 06:23:14

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/21 06:32:02 (permalink)
    A frend of mine is a drum maker here in Melbourne. Yes he makes em! He is woodworking craftsman and specialises in curving wood. You would need to. Actually he has been building shells with wooden hoops and I heard one of his kits recently and all the drums had wooden hoops and it just sounded so good I could not believe it. Sorry it is neither pressed or cast but something maybe to think about. Who says pressed or cast is best.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/21 06:48:45 (permalink)
    Peavey was doing wooden rims a few years back as well!

It seems like a top of the line feature these days.

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/21 09:02:43 (permalink)
    I know that Ayotte Drums offer wood rims too and they sound great.
    I considered buying an Aoytte snare once but I'm a pretty hard hitter (live) and was afraid i'd damage the rim.
    Now that I'm older and not into live gigs anymore I may just have to try one for recording.

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/21 11:11:32 (permalink)
    I have "tuned" my drum loops in Sonar with the pitch shifter to get it more chromatically correct sounding.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Jonbouy
    Re:Drummers - Pressed or Cast Hoops? 2011/01/21 12:01:27 (permalink)

I have heard Nashville cats specifically say things like "I can play that song right now... my drums are tuned for anything in C G or F." and It has caught my attention.

I think I tune by instinct but with a sensibility for chromaticism. I have 7 toms so, they have to be tuned to sound notably different and making them sit well in certain keys gives me a way to spread out the range in a useful manner. I don't use a chromatic tuner or anything like that but I do use a tensionometer.

Some people do and certainly with a good range of toms like that it is a good way of spacing sensible intervals.

I often play a 4 piece though and in that context a good deal of heft and meaning in each drum is more valuable than a specific pitch.

As Mark points out though pitching up or down can make the difference between making or ruining a track so it is imperative to listen out for the primary overtones.  Therefore you'd ignore tonal pitch at your peril.

All I'm saying is rather than aim for middle C or some such I'm more inclined to entertain the idea of 'goes right through you and buttons up at the back'!

Every drum has one or two areas that really make it naturally sing and play beautifully and those are the places I tend to look. 

Having found that sweet spot it is highly likely to require some 'chromatic' attention in order for to fit in whatever context it is to feature in, but that relatively fine adjustment is very rarely my primary aiming point.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/21 12:04:00

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1