Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models?

Author
digi2ns
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2694
2011/04/25 22:04:40 (permalink)

Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models?

Im looking at my first drum kit for recording.  Im not an experienced drummer and am looking for a little more info on drums themselves.  Looking at kits in the $1000-$1500 range I am getting info overload on shell construction. Maple, Birch, Mahogany, etc...  The sizes of the shells is what has me puzzled. I see Kicks anywhere from 10" deep to 24" deep, Toms at different depths (Shallow -v- Deep) for similar diameters.  Is there an ideal set/brand/model/size without busting the bank but getting a decent set to record with and any thoughts in general on drumsets.

I have Found a couple Im interested in but thought I would ask before jumping 
    Yamaha Stage Customes
    GMS SL

I mainly record Metal/Rock out on the road. In the studio it will be everything from Country, Christian, Metal/Rock...

Thanks

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
--X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
--PCR500  
--MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
--Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
--Line6 X3 Live
--Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
 http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

25 Replies Related Threads

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/26 00:14:00 (permalink)
    Mid line Yamaha's or Pearls both can sound excellent with good tuning techniques. You can usually pick up used sets that will include hardware and maybe a couple of decent cymbals in the 600 - 700 range. I bought a full set of Pearls with cymbals and a pork pie snare for 350.00 in excellent condition too. Really the first 95 % of a good drum sound will come from fresh heads and good tuning. The remaining 5 % you'll get with custom shells  etc.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    digi2ns
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/26 07:05:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input.  Just what I was looking to hear.

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/26 08:07:09 (permalink)
    Yeah, there is a big difference in the sound of the different kits. In all the bands I played in with various drummers, I learned about the differences. Maple, birch, metal, Plexiglas, all sound different. add heads into the mix and even the sticks used, and you have all sorts of sound combinations.

Many of the drum samplers will have all (and more) of these various kits available. In Jamstix for example, not only are the kits available but it is possible to "tune the heads" specifically as you need.

Buying an acoustic set will give you one basic sound depending on the kit, so listen to it carefully to be sure it sounds like you want.

Another option is a midi/electronic kit. It has the drums and cymbals, but changing sounds and kits is as easy as assigning a new sample set to the synth in the box.  You still need the talent to play it but the sound is sampled and that allows so many options. You're not stuck with only one sound.

However, all that being said..... a nice acoustic set, with good heads, and properly tuned, damped, and miked in a studio is a freaking awesome sound.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/26 12:47:53 (permalink)
    The cool thing about recording live drums is that a great sounding kit will sound different with every guy you put on the throne.  Especially if those guys bring their own cymbals, pedals, and snare....which most drummers I deal with prefer to do if they're not bringing their entire kit.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    digi2ns
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/26 13:46:46 (permalink)
    Thanks Herb & Jeff

I have thought about the Rolands TD series, quite a few of them being listed around here lately. They kinda scare me, not sure on wear and tear on them as a used set and problems that might creep up with them due to hard use.  I like the thought of being able to easily adjust what ever tuning and tones ya want. Also for personal use when others are around, just being able to throw on a set of head phones and gettin with it. Again the midi thing and possible electronic probs kinda scare me-or am I just worrying about nothing?

The thought of the acoustic set I think is better cause so many are probably more likely to just add there own equipment as Jeff added above and will probably feel more at home with the acoustic over the electronic set. 
    For my personal use, I think the acoustic is more for helping with arthritis if ya can picture that.

MIKE

--PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/26 13:55:58 (permalink)
    What he said...

start with a decent quality set of shells, and there are quite a few brands out there that meet that criteria, including Yamaha and Sonar. Put most of your money into the basic drums and get good heads for them and then learn how to set them up.

I'd also be willing to spend on good basic cymbals, hat, crash, & ride. In fact, cheapskate that I am, this is where I would not scrimp cause these will last forever. You might change out shells, but good cymbals are a lifetime investment.

Get a decent snare that compliments the kit, but don't sweat bullets over it because most drummers will bring one or more to the session. Snare drums are a very personal kind of thing for most drummers, much more so than the rest of the kit.

Things like bass drum pedals are so personal that I'd get one you find comfortable, you won't please everyone with this choice either<G>!

I'd also get a couple extra cymbal stands for guys that want to bring their own cymbals, just makes their lives a bit easier.

Oh, and don't forget good drum microphones!

The thing is, sounding like an echo, there really is nothing quite like a live drummer playing real drums!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/26 16:18:21 (permalink)
    The good news is that there are a lot of great sounding mid priced kits out there and like has been previously discussed, heads and tuning go a long way.

The bad news is, I have never heard a great sounding set of mid priced cymbals.  Either you get top of the line or you get junk.

I would spend money on good cymbals and spend what's left on drums.  Hihat, ride and two crashes should do.  Some come in packs that can save you some money.

Good luck

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/26 16:54:29 (permalink)
    Read up on tuning. Agreed that cymbals are a huge difference maker. Light weight cymbals often sound better in recordings, but are not as durable as the heavier ones. Besides shells, heavy duty hardware makes a difference(fewer rattles and squeaks). I have a vintage set of 60's Ludwigs that usually sound super. You might consider leaving the front head off the kick drum if this is a recording-only set (easier mic placement).
    digi2ns
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/27 08:10:24 (permalink)
    Thanks a bunch everyone,
    Im taking notes and saving.  This is going as I hoped with all the input-Great advise
    Thanks again

MIKE

--PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/27 12:40:23 (permalink)
    I'd advise against the midi drums.  If you put an acoustic player on them, you're liable to hear excuses for any drummer inadequacy blamed on the drums.  Some of them might be true.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/27 16:52:54 (permalink)
    A great drummer can make a "cheap" kit sound awesome.  A poor drummer on an expensive kit is probably not going to sound good, no matter what you do.  There are some great deals on used drums.  A friend of mine once handed me a snare drum someone had given him after pulling it out of a garbage can.  I put new heads on it, tuned it up, and it became my favorite snare.  That thing had a sound that could knock you over.  You never know until you hit that thing.

When it comes to cymbals, I've found that medium - medium/thin cymbals work better for a large number of drummers.  Very thin cymbals typically have a short decay length while thicker cymbals will ring longer.  Having a mixture of sounds and textures available is usually a very good idea for a studio kit.  In the past, I've used a larger medium-thin cymbal as both a ride and a crash.  I'd play the bell when using it as a ride, and I'd hit the edge when using it as a crash.  It had a nice, lower pitched crash sound (and it saved me money).  Listen to the cymbals individually.  There's a tone and a timbre to each cymbal that's fairly unique.  When you find one you like, see how it sounds with the other cymbals.  There should be enough variety of sounds and textures to make it interesting, yet common enough to sound as though they belong together.  Some cymbals are rather specialized.  China Gongs, splash cymbals, and rivited cymbals have a distinctive sound that may be used only as an effect, rather than as a common cymbal sound.  You may not want to spend your money on these for a basic kit initially.

One warning about thin or even medium-thin cymbals.  Extreme drummers may shatter those.  I knew a guy once who used to knock chunks out of his cymbals.  His guitarist used to have to dodge cymbal shrapnel during rehearsals.  Guitar Center had (very foolishly) guaranteed the cymbals, so he would return the debris every week and pick up a new set of cymbals.  He lost track of the amount of money they lost on him.  Don't let someone like that use your gear. 

If you want to find a set that will work well, listen to it.  Really listen closely.  Take each drum one by one and listen to the tone.  Take a drum key and adjust the tuning until you find that sweet spot where the drum's real character comes out.  After listening to each drum individually, listen to them together.  A good set will sound good together.  Spending time on tuning and managing resonance will do more for your kit's sound than than you can imagine.

Good drum mics and good mic placement can also make a significant impact on your sound.  There are a lot of great resources available online and/or in print to help in this area. 

Oh, if you do consider electronic drums, keep in mind the fact that drummers play midi controllers differently than they play acoustic drums.  I know that I do.  I think of my midi drums as a different instrument, the way a guitarist may consider a Les Paul Custom to be a different instrument than a Martin acoustic.  That may seem trivial, but it really does help.  There is a mental adjustment that many drummers make when playing midi drums.  If your drummer is not familiar with midi drum controllers or if he/she/it has a bias against them, you'll have difficulty working that out in the studio.

I love my midi drums.  I prefer playing my midi drums.  I've performed live with my midi drums many times.  But I know they're not for everyone. 

Hope something here helps.  Enjoy!
    post edited by UbiquitousBubba - 2011/04/27 16:54:08
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/27 16:53:25 (permalink)
    Mod Bod

I'd advise against the midi drums.  If you put an acoustic player on them, you're liable to hear excuses for any drummer inadequacy blamed on the drums.  Some of them might be true.

+2.3456543
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/28 09:48:02 (permalink)
    I love my MIDI kit also.  I play both live and record from Yamaha DTXpress IV.  As far as durability, I play them almost every day for 2 years without a single failure.  Using the Steven Slate samples, you have hundreds of options.  Just my 0.02 input.  I love the fact that after recording the tracks, if the kit doesn't fit the song, you can simply replace the kit or single drum without having to rerecord.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/28 09:59:07 (permalink)
    You've already received some excellent advice, but I'll give you my take for what it's worth.

I'd have to disagree with a few of the things I've read here due to my personal experience, but I won't get into that as everyone has their own beliefs on this. For me, some drum kits just do not have what it takes to sound good in a recording environment. You need to sometimes tweak a kit for the recording studio. Moon gels, duct tape, cloth on the inside of the shell strategically placed, the right heads top and bottom and most of all, good tuning. Some drum kits just aren't going to sound good no matter what techniques or mics/placements you use...and it matters not who is playing them. There's a lot of work in making a drum kit sound good and even more work if you buy something used that has some wear going on.

The tightest kits I've ever used for recording were Pearl, Rogers, DW, Sonor and Yamaha. They just sound "rich" and don't have that flabby, "drums next door" sound to them. A lot of inexpensive kits and used kits with wear on them have this cheap sound to them. Almost like listening to your neighbor play his kit with his windows open. You can improve the quality some, but like I say, some kits just sound bad unless you really work them.

The mics do matter, but if you know what you're doing, you can make just about anything decent work well. I've been able to mic up good sounding kits with nothing but 57's, EV 357's, EV 457's and an EV 757 on a snare top. The sound was quite good and I'd put it up against some of the super expensive rigs people are using. A good kit + a good player + good tuning + good mic techniques = good sound every time. Heck, you can even have a bad player and the kit can still sound good, ya know? :)

As far as midi kits, I've not heard any of the drummers I've had here complain about my Roland V Drums kit. It's a bit different than a real kit of course, but when they hear what it sounds like and play on them for 30 minutes or so, they smile from ear to ear. Run a few Superior or BFD samples on the kit, and they go ballistic. I have expressive hats, chokeable cymbals, and my touch sensitivity so dialed in, these things are scary in a great way. I also have 7 toms, 4 crashes and a double kick, so there are no missing kit pieces other than if a drummer has a crazy live cymbal rig. I've done that too....recorded the V drums and recorded live cymbals with them which is quite cool. If you do go with a midi kit, go Roland and if you can afford the V Drums, they rock. Just make sure you at least have the TD-10 brain if you can't afford the TD-20. The brain alone allows for so much control over how the pads react, those that do not have a brain of this caliber will NEVER enjoy the pad kit the right way. All the others I have tried fall so short, I would advise against midi drums also. But with a V Drums kit with the mesh heads and a killer brain, I actually like the midi kit as much as my live DW kit believe it or not.

Also, if you do go the live drums route, there are some inexpensive mic packages offered for drums that actually work quite well. Sweetwater, Sam Ash or Guitar Center has them in stock. You can get a full package of mics for drums for a decent price if you look around. Best of luck in whatever you decide. :)
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/04/28 10:01:18

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/28 10:20:24 (permalink)
    Our church bought the Roland V Drums... I'm not sure what model, but I know it cost a bunch and I'm thinking was pretty close to top of the line if not the top.... ( churches sometimes have more dollars  than sense... )  This is a nice sounding kit and the 2 drummers there... one is really talented.... love this kit. Of course the FOH guys never turn it up, but that's a different story.

Swapping the samples are so easy, and I believe it came loaded with a ton of samples too.

I was skeptical at first, having been around some of the previous midi kits, but this one is sweet.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/28 15:04:34 (permalink)
    This one is not for everyone, but I absolutely love my TrapKAT.  It has a great feel, it's easy to setup, and it's extremely flexible.  Want a kit with 6 toms?  No problem.  Want a kit with timbales, congas, a cowbell, two snares, a couple of toms, 8 cymbals, a gong, and a ride?  You got it. 

A lot of drummers get freaked out about the fact that it looks like a table top instead of individual drums, but it's a lot of fun to play.  One drummer I showed mine to said, "Hey!  Everywhere I put a stick, I hit something!  This is great!"
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/28 19:03:41 (permalink)
    UbiquitousBubba

This one is not for everyone, but I absolutely love my TrapKAT.  It has a great feel, it's easy to setup, and it's extremely flexible.  Want a kit with 6 toms?  No problem.  Want a kit with timbales, congas, a cowbell, two snares, a couple of toms, 8 cymbals, a gong, and a ride?  You got it. 

A lot of drummers get freaked out about the fact that it looks like a table top instead of individual drums, but it's a lot of fun to play.  One drummer I showed mine to said, "Hey!  Everywhere I put a stick, I hit something!  This is great!"

I've got a TrapKat set up in my studio too.  I thought I'd learn to play it but getting good enough to do my own drum tracks will take way more time than I care to wait.  It IS a great tool though and it takes up very little room.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/28 20:56:18 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Our church bought the Roland V Drums... I'm not sure what model, but I know it cost a bunch and I'm thinking was pretty close to top of the line if not the top.... ( churches sometimes have more dollars  than sense... )  This is a nice sounding kit and the 2 drummers there... one is really talented.... love this kit. Of course the FOH guys never turn it up, but that's a different story.

Swapping the samples are so easy, and I believe it came loaded with a ton of samples too.

I was skeptical at first, having been around some of the previous midi kits, but this one is sweet.

I hear ya man. I'm still not sold on any of the samples in either of my Roland brains. It's the control you get with those brains that impresses me, not the sounds. Though they are very good, running a drum module is what works best for me. I do like to track with the Roland brain though. The same as with any hardware unit...it's just more precise when tracking. The Roland brain is even great when running triggers on a real kit because of the additional options it gives you for thresholds, velocities, gating, ghosting etc. I was in a pinch one time and got stuck using my old Simmons kit. LOL! I couldn't get dual triggers out of it, but it tracked perfectly for what we needed and thanks to the Roland brain, it was completely realistic with a slight bit of editing. :)

My Site
    digi2ns
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/28 23:09:19 (permalink)
    Well I think you guys have convinced me, I believe I am gonna go with both. 

I really like all the input that has come out on the acoustic set and am putting it all in the vault once I get the right set.

Im really interested in the Roland sets as Danny described but was kind of worried about the life expectancy of the different components and what maintenance if any is involved with these sets.  I have located some used ones at a fair price that for the money I dont think you can beat it if they are as advertised.  I guess if they are setup for inspection before buying and all the pads produce notes, it should be Okay?  They do have the TD10 Module so that caught my attention.

MIKE

--PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/28 23:14:36 (permalink)
    I use and have access to V drum Kit w/ TD-20. While it is head and shoulder above most any other E drum kit out there... I can't say that it even comes close to the nuance of a real acoustic kit. It's fantastic for pop and rock drums. Anything that you would likely produce to try and sound " Steady state " if you will. But, for subtle nuanced playing like jazz or quiet acoustic styles.... E drums just won't quite do it.

For what it's worth Dig2NS... We're pretty close in proximity, I might be able to find you a good deal on that Roland TD-20 Kit....lot's of extras including a full frame rack.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    digi2ns
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/28 23:35:42 (permalink)
    Rbh

I use and have access to V drum Kit w/ TD-20. While it is head and shoulder above most any other E drum kit out there... I can't say that it even comes close to the nuance of a real acoustic kit. It's fantastic for pop and rock drums. Anything that you would likely produce to try and sound " Steady state " if you will. But, for subtle nuanced playing like jazz or quiet acoustic styles.... E drums just won't quite do it.

For what it's worth Dig2NS... We're pretty close in proximity, I might be able to find you a good deal on that Roland TD-20 Kit....lot's of extras including a full frame rack.

Yeh the subtle thing kinda had me wondering. Wasnt sure about velocity controls, intensity or how ever it even works on the VDrums as far as something like that. 
    If you see a set, fire me a PM with the info if ya dont mind.  Im in the middle right now of storm damage repairs and trying to get the roof replaced so once I know water isnt going to be a factor, Im jumping on em, hopefully not to much longer, StateFarm is rather tied up right now as ya can imagine. Contractors and insurance adjusters will be here Monday.
    I think the area Im looking at as far as the VDrum kits go will be the TD9 or 12s as long as it has atleast the 10 Module.  The TD20s is probably more than I want to go for what Im doing. (Unless its a steal of a deal   )

MIKE

--PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live

Danny Danzi
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/29 00:21:26 (permalink)
    digi: I actually like my TD-10 (upgraded to a TDW-1) better than my TD-20 and the 10 gets the most use. I've had no problems tracking all styles of music with the pads and they pick up every little nuance on my end. I have spent a very long time tweaking them to get them this way. It doesn't happen right out of the box, that's for sure. And each player that plays on the kit, you will need to set it for their style as far as velocities go. Some guys that pound, need less, those that are more dynamic, may need a little more. I just had a jazz guy in here last week that absolutrly loved them. I ran one of the BFD 2 kits on him and it picked up every little ghost stroke and nuance.

As for maintenance, I've been very lucky. Only my ex drummer has cost me money because he's an arena drummer. LOL! But with normal, sane playing and even for those that bash a bit, you should be ok. With me personally playing my kit, I have only had to replace 2 pads and I've had them for years. Most times they are easy to fix yourself. I had one die on me  because it was an old PD-7 I was using for a crash cymbal at the time and one of the first V Drum cymbals which was very old too. I just bought another because it was very old....and I had one where the trigger inside just needed to be re-seated. I fixed it with a little fishtank adhesive.

The mesh heads themselves, I have NEVER had a problem with. I also have another kit with all PD-8's that I've had for a while that have never given me any problems. I like those better when I mic real cymbals because the mesh heads bleed through and the sound is sometimes terrible. You can't hear the click click of the PD8's on the cymbals tracks hardly at all.

Just keep in mind, the brain you use as well as the drum module you select is the key here. I say go with the TD-10 as that is my weapon of choice. Not for the sounds, but how it handles the triggering. As for modules, Superior Drummer or EZD are going to behave differently than BFD or Abbey Road. Each module kinda needs to be set up differently due to how they handle the hits. For example, BFD and Abbey Road classic drums are way more expressive than Superior or Steven Slate. I have to work my drum brain a bit to make Superior or Slate have the same results. See that's the key with these if you are to use them with drum modules....selecting the right one and configuring it so that the pads and the brain work seemlessly with it. I don't recommend the sounds in any of the Roland brains, but they are good for tracking. Once you set things up to work with a sampler of sorts, they sound so good and are so expressive you forget you're playing them after a while. So just keep some of that stuff in mind. :)

My Site
    digi2ns
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/29 09:24:04 (permalink)
    Hey Danny,  Tremendous help as usual-Thank You.
    I think what I am calling the module is what you are refering to as the brain? LOL  (if not try and straighten me out     )
    Its kinda hard for me to tell but I believe Im thinking along the same lines as you are explaining with the Pads. 
    On used kits, Im wanting to stay with the Mesh type pads, not the little black solid ones.  I have noticed that for the modules, Im seeing are a small one and a much larger one available. The 2 used kits I am checking out now appear to have a module of this size - but are advertised as TD10s. 
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD12/

But they do have the white mesh pads.  Sorry for my lack of knowledge/terminology on the components.

Thanks again

MIKE

--PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live

Danny Danzi
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/04/29 09:39:22 (permalink)
    LOL I'm sorry Mike...and you're quite welcome. Let me see if I can straighten you out here. :)

The TD=12 is a bit lower on the food chain than the 10 believe it or not. Like for example, I have way more trigger outs and 6 audio outs. For me, I need that stuff for the kits I run. I'm not sure what capabilities the 12 has over the 10, but I've never had a problem dialing in anything as long as the TD-10 was my pad to midi interface. The options inside for tweaking the pads are simply unreal.

So yeah, what you are refering to as the module, I am calling the brain. The modules to me are the drum samplers like BFD 2, Superior, EZD, Steven Slate etc. When you hear what the pads sound like going through what I'm calling modules vs. the sounds you hear in ANY Roland brain, your jaw will drop. The Roland brains only have so many sounds they trigger and from this, you can get some "robotic" stuff happening. With the modules, they operate on multi-samples. Meaning, there may be 30 samples of a drum hit just for a velocity of 100...so you just about never get the same hit twice. This is what makes them (especially BFD) so realistic. Just like a real drum, you can hit in the same spot yet get a different hit each time. The Roland drum brains are more like 3 samples per drum with different velocities...where the modules....they have several hits in each sample pool for each velocity.

The mesh pads are the most realistic for sure. But I also like the PD 8's which are the regular rubber pads. With the PD set, you never have to worry about when you play. With the mesh heads, they DO put out a bit of sound. See man, I'm one of those musicians that's easy to please for the most part. I can (and have lol) run triggers on pots and pans and have a blast playing. The only things I'm picky about these days are actual sounds. I'll play a cheapo guitar that sounds good and may have high action and get good results from it and accept that it's probably going to be a bit challenging for me. Stuff like that helps me to play differently. It's almost like I'm on vacation in a strange world where I don't have my normal resources. LOL! I always liked stuff like that to be honest....it just puts me in a different frame of mind. 

I started on drums when I was 4 years old, so I've had my share of acoustic and electronic kits. I find that as long as I can get the ideas out of my head to where they sound good to me, it matters not how I get from point A to point B. I think a lot of that comes from having sub par gear in the early stages of my life. You just made due with what you could afford and couldn't be too picky because you didn't have the cash or the choice. LOL!! Now that I'm in a much better situation, I know what it's like to have the best and the worst of all worlds...but even using the worst, I always got good results and never let that stop me. So do what you feel, buy what you can afford and just enjoy it. Anything is better than nothing and if you can make what you can afford work to your needs, you're right where you want to be. :) Good luck man! 

My Site
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Drums for recording-Differences in Make & Models? 2011/05/05 18:58:03 (permalink)
    If you spring for electronic drums, you may never be happy with the onboard sounds in the brain, regardless of the model. Using them to trigger Superior, BFD etc is the way to go if you get an electronic kit. The biggest hurdle is usually getting the hi-hat to respond exactly the way you want it to.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1