Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2009/07/07 12:55:13 (permalink)

Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install?

Hi,

Yesterday I (re)built and old office computer to use it to run a CNC machine.

The system is a 2.4 GHz P4 on an Intel D850MV with 1GB RamBus 800 memory. Ironically, the CNC people speak about DAW builders when they explain the need to optimize the Windows install, so I had a lot of fun installing WinXP SP1 and disabling or uninstalling almost everything.

Anyways, After installing XP I have leaned that I may wish to use this machine in DOS and not use the XP command window.

This morning I found my old floppy disk set of MS-DOS 6.22. It's on 3 floppies.

My computer isn't equipped wit a floppy drive... and i fact I disabled the floppy "device" in XP.

I'd like to set up a dual boot system... and I'd like to somehow use my 6.22 disks to make a CD that I can install the MS-DOS from.

The hard drive is formatted with FAT32. I have a 20GB C: partition and a 100GB D: partition.

I have several other computers that have floppys drives so I lan to make a CD on one of those CPUs.

I feel obliged to acknowledge that to date, Jose Catena has offered some advice in a related thread:

"If you want to install dos after XP, backup the boot sector, install dos, restore boot sector, and edit boot.ini to include your DOS boot as in the example that follows:
[operating systems]
C:\="DOS" "

I am clueless when it comes to any thing having to do with command prompts so I'm hoping to work thru this until I understand a step by step process.

Does anyone else have any info they can share? I'll be off googling all afternoon :-)

Thanks.

15 Replies Related Threads

jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/07 16:23:07 (permalink)
    > I am clueless when it comes to any thing having to do with command prompts

If that's the case you don't really want to use DOS, I think.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/07 16:34:42 (permalink)
    I'm willing to learn.

:-)

The app that I want to run in DOS has a friendly sort of GUI... it's just that the vendors are reluctant to move from DOS to Windows because they say the background services cause inconsistencies.

Apparently it's easy to burn out the controller boards on a CNC machine as well as the motors, mill blades etc. if stuttering occurs and they find they can control the machines fine in DOS.

I don't know much about it yet... but I did wait until a Windows controller program became fairly common... So I have that on order and and am working with an older Win version today.

I need to have the DOS available as a backup plan.

thanks,
    mike

rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/07 16:47:48 (permalink)
    Hi Mike -

I think you'll find that learning your way around the Command Prompt (DOS commands) is not so bad, especially if you only need to know enough to manage a single app.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    jcatena
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/07 20:17:57 (permalink)
    I'll put a little step by step guide here.
    For now, you have MS-6.22 floppies, but you don't have where to read them. 6.22 is not good anyway (no fat32 support if I remember well). Best is 7.10 (from win98se) but incomplete, that you could extract from win98se media, but I suppose you don't know how to do it.
    I have all versions you can imagine, and then a few more. But as stupid as it may look, it would be illegal if I upload MS-DOS, IBM-DOS, DR-DOS, etc, even if they are not for sale nowadays. I could upload FreeDos instead, which is totally legal and the most updated and complete.
    While I recopile the bits you will need to install after XP, I recommend you to search and download Hiren's BootCD. It's a DOS bootable CD that can get you started easily, and includes a large collection of useful DOS utilities.
    If you can, tell me if you can boot from it and access the CDROM from DOS. Perhaps you couldn't: newer controllers need a new CDROM driver that I think is not in Hiren's.
    The link I provided earlier for FreeDos also contains a CD iso image for the bootable installer, but I think the same problem with the CDROM driver may arise.
    I need to think about what would be the easiest route for you. For now I think it will be a FreeDos bootable usb stick, but there are some tricky steps. If I could write an usb stick for you it would be the easiest both for you and me, but it would involve mailing it to you and making some payment through Paypal or something... Let me think...

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/08 08:58:39 (permalink)
    Hi Jose,

You are an incredibly generous person. Thanks for all your efforts.

I understand the circumstance with the legalities of distributing DOS... I appreciate the fact that it's not legal to distribute it. I want to stay legal. :-).

As I mentioned I do have a working win98 system... and it can read floppies.

I'll go re read your last post and try to follow all the suggestions today.

thanks again,
    mike

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/08 10:20:22 (permalink)
    Hi Jose,

I went back to FreeDos link that you provided: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freedos/

and downloaded this file: kernel2038-fat32-binary.zip

So what do I do with it? I can't find any docs to explain. Do I unzip and then make a ISO disc of it?

edit to change: I found a USBformat app at one of the Hiren sites. The Hiren site seemed like something out of the Matrix. :-)

After reading your last post it seems you are advising that I at least attempt a bootable CD... so that is what I would like to do.

That's why I downloaded the FreeDOS... with the intention of burning a CD.

Can you explain the next step?

thanks,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/07/08 10:35:24

jcatena
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/08 16:32:21 (permalink)

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/08 21:09:12 (permalink)
    I've downloaded and burned the CD as an ISO.

What's next?

FWIW, I just now have found that FreeDOS.org IS on line... it was error 404 for me all day yesterday... so now I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about learning this.

best regards,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/07/08 21:32:20

jcatena
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/09 00:10:38 (permalink)
    Well, I hope this will function for you.

- prepare an empty usb stick formatted in FAT32. If you need UsbFormat, there is it http://diwaves.com/tmp/UsbFormat.zip
    - download http://diwaves.com/tmp/FreeDos.zip
    - extract FreeDos.zip in a directory in your Win98 machine. I'll assume you extact it to c:\freedos
    - format a floppy (no sys required) and eject it
    - reboot the win98 machine in dos mode. You may need to press F8 (to force the dos boot menu) or F5 (to boot DOS skipping config & autoexec).
    - you should be now in a dos prompt
    - insert the floppy
    - enter commands:
    c:
    cd \freedos\dos\bin
    sys a:
    - reboot from the floppy
    - you should get the freedos command prompt
    - check if you can access your usb stick (for example dir x: trying different x until you see it)
    - enter commands:
    c:
    cd \freedos\dos\bin
    sys x: (where x is your usb stick)
    xcopy /e c:\freedos x:\
    - reboot from the usb stick
    - you should have a bootable usb stick with FreeDos now

Let me know if you find any trouble. Once you have your bootable FreeDos stick we'll see how to install in the xp system.

post edited by jcatena - 2009/07/09 00:23:06

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/09 11:25:25 (permalink)
    OK, Thanks very much.

I'm a bit distracted today... I will return when I have completed the instructions above.

In the meantime... here's a preview of a 1" wrench. I made it last night following a tutorial for my benchtop CNC Mill.

You might imagine that engraved face plates for DIY electronic gear and perhaps DIY etched "pcb" boards will soon be something I can attempt.

:-)

thanks again,
    mike

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/09 15:03:02 (permalink)
    here's a preview of a 1" wrench.

Where's the before pic?

And how long did it take, and how noisy is the process?
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/09 23:39:36 (permalink)
    It was 2' x 1/8" flat aluminum stock. I cut it in 3 passes... it took about 20 minutes.

best,
    mike

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/10 01:59:33 (permalink)
    Mike,

Nice wrench, but did you ever get DOS installed?
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/17 11:00:45 (permalink)
    No not yet.

I'm like a mule... I felt a compulsion to learn G-code. I pulled 3 all nighters and have some G-code chops now :-)

Unfortunately I'm getting older and the three all nighters have left me feeling like I went to the Crossroads.

Unfortunately, I'm getting older and the only way I can learn stuff at a deep level is too cloister myself away in a cave so I'm not distracted. Doing it all in 72 hours is the only way to minimize phone and wife distractions. :-)

So, now I'm back.

And... I think my old hard drive s about to die (re my other Chkdsk thread) so I have an opportunity to actually install DOS properly.

Which brings me too..

I have the FreeDos disk and it's time to review how to install DOS first and then XP for a dual boot system.

I'm ramping up for that project right now.

thanks and best regards,
    mike

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Dual Boot? how to add DOS to XP install? 2009/07/18 10:47:45 (permalink)
    Ok I have a bootable FreeDos CD disk. Sorry it took so long.

I have booted and am playing around with XFdisk.

I want to install FreeDos FIRST and then I'll re install Win XP.

Can you help me with a step by step.

I have a 129GB drive. I just partitioned it as C: 10 GB, D: 10 GB, E: 100GB

I can repartition to a smaller C but I don't anticipate ever filling this drive up... please advise if there's a good reason to go smaller.

Thanks,
    mike

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1