Dual Head (DVI analog) video card..rrr

Author
mario
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
2010/09/14 13:29:23 (permalink)

Dual Head (DVI analog) video card..rrr

Hi,

I need help to figure out a video card for an I7 I am planning to build shortly...using all the info in this info I thought I had it and was ready to place the order......but I just realized that I am completly lost with the video card I need to choose.

I have 2 19 inches analog driven LCD monitors that have no intention of replacing as they work perfectly well. MY current, and old, PC has an AGP Matrox Dual Head ( 2DVI with an analog converter on each port) but all the cards that seem to be used, based on what I read in this forum, only has 1 DVI port with HDMI and/or D-Sub ports.

What are the card options, suitable for a DAW PC, that have 2 DVI ports?

Thanks for you help.

Mario

6 Replies Related Threads

IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Dual Head (DVI analog) video card..rrr 2010/09/15 09:42:50 (permalink)
        Hello... still plenty of new and used 2 port DVI cards out there... WWW.NEWEGG.COM you can search for what you need by selecting more options on the left... on all hardware they sell... here is the sample page I pulled up just now...

http://www.newegg.com/Pro...eType=&srchInDesc=
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Dual Head (DVI analog) video card..rrr 2010/09/15 13:45:50 (permalink)
    There are also cheap adapters that will run VGA or DVI from an HDMI output port.
    post edited by slartabartfast - 2010/09/15 13:50:51
    mario
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re:Dual Head (DVI analog) video card..rrr 2010/09/15 15:37:07 (permalink)
    Hi,

I understand DVI and know it supports both digital and analogue (with an adapter) but I haven't seen that many cards that supports 2 DVI ports.

After talking with a friend I finally unerstood something; The D-Sub connector is the VGA connector.

The question now, something I haven't seen anybody talk about, is whether or not I can configure my 2 displays in extended mode when using 1 DVI and 1 D-Sub ports.

Note: HDMI to VGA? I don't know about that; my understanding is that HDMI is using compressed data so I would be sruprised to find a decently price converter.

IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Dual Head (DVI analog) video card..rrr 2010/09/15 22:28:05 (permalink)
        Hello... here is a article explaining Nvidia Driver/monitor support modes...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_twinview.html

They explain that all their cards support multi displays through a single GPU... but some MFG'rs that use their GPU's may not implement it for consumer use... XP and WIN7 support multi displays... Here is a link explaining Windows support...

http://www.microsoft.com/...ation/twomonitors.aspx

Seems to me this is old school tech now... and all display modes are available through ATI/Nvidia/Windows software/drivers... but how powerful, fast, and what display resolutions do you want to run the monitors at? Will seperate one card/GPU from another... and of course the connectors... a DVI-I is most common, and handles both analog and digital video connections... Here is a link explaining types of connectors...

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...gital_Visual_Interface

The hardware has been able to handle this for a few years now... and you should upgrade to a PCIe video card for your new computer/motherboard... ATI and Nvidia have unified driver downloads you should be using... MFG'rs just build them now and ATI/Nvidia do the programing for their GPU's... Just double check with the MFG'r of the card you feel compelled too... Check the Specs... not all MFG'rs will use the same type of memory, parts, and connectors... But a GPU is a GPU in the end... and support for mult-monitors is built into them now.

The HDMI connector carries Digital Video and Digital Audio... one cable does it all solution... here is a link explaining HDMI...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Are your LCD monitors Analog only??? is that your concern with HDMI? and keeping connected? It's possible that HDMI does not carry a analog video signal... and thus you should get dual DVI-I connectors for both analog and digital connections for the future... if you need digital audio then you will need HDMI through your video card.
    post edited by IronSound - 2010/09/15 23:07:43
    tomhan
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re:Dual Head (DVI analog) video card..rrr 2010/09/19 09:54:39 (permalink)
    mario

Hi,

I understand DVI and know it supports both digital and analogue (with an adapter) but I haven't seen that many cards that supports 2 DVI ports.

After talking with a friend I finally unerstood something; The D-Sub connector is the VGA connector.

The question now, something I haven't seen anybody talk about, is whether or not I can configure my 2 displays in extended mode when using 1 DVI and 1 D-Sub ports.

Note: HDMI to VGA? I don't know about that; my understanding is that HDMI is using compressed data so I would be sruprised to find a decently price converter.

Have a look at a Matrox M9120 PCIe x 16 Dual DVI. Works great in my new core I7 build. I like its low profile design and Fan-less heat sink which make it completely silent. This is not a gaming card but is more than adequate for most DAW applications. I used a Matrox G550 in my P4 XP rig for roughly 6 years without a problem.

http://www.matrox.com/gra...es/m9120pciex16/#close

To have peace, teach peace.
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Dual Head (DVI analog) video card..rrr 2010/09/20 02:44:27 (permalink)
    I can easily recommend the HIS Radeon GS-4670 that I used in my i7 PC. It's been solid in Windows XP and Windows 7 64-bit (dual boot). It's somewhat overkill for Sonar with 1gb of memory and SLI support, but it's fanless, and less than $100.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1