Dual Monitor question

Author
nigel T
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
2005/11/25 23:39:49 (permalink)

Dual Monitor question

After surviving my 4 am call time and the 2.5 hr wait in line at the annual Best Buy black friday sale, I victoriously came away with a second flat panel. Now I just need to hook it up.

From what it sounds like I need something like this: NVidia GeForce FX 5600. Looks like it's got two outputs, one for DVI, one for VGA. So my question is, do I hook one monitor up to each, or get a "splitter" or something?

The young lads at Best Buy had no patience for my 6 a.m. incoherence.

26 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/25 23:55:18 (permalink)
    One to each output, Erik. I can't remember if nVidia included a "dongle" adapter or not with the 5600 for DVi. [Had one, cooked it in the "storm", and replaced it with the 5500]. Whether or not you need one depends on what you've got on the LCDs. The "dongles" are also at Best Buy. You've got to look hard, though: They're usually near the small "x-treme gamer modding" section, with the thermal paste, blue light tubing, and extra fans.

Then there's the configuration setup in software. You've got a lot of options (screen cloning; stretch across the two, etc.) to consider, but nVidia has a great thing going with that UDA idea. Once you're set up initially, it's smooth as silk. Check out all those nView options. HTH
    da berzurkur
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/25 23:58:31 (permalink)
    You need a DVI to VGA adapter plug assuming your new lcd has a VGA cable? And I assume that your video card supports dual monitor setups?

(NVidia GeForce FX 5600)-that is a pretty new card if my memory serves correct, no?
    There should be a place to set that up in NVIDIA's software download. (make sure you get the latest drivers m8.

Cheers,

John

Damn that b rock is quick--- yeah, what he said!
    post edited by da berzurkur - 2005/11/25 23:59:37
    wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 00:14:18 (permalink)
    Not much to add to b-rock in the tech area, but are both your LCD's VGA? Or is one VGA and one DVI? Some LCDs have both VGA and DVI. I have no way of knowing, but if you have two monitors that both have DVI, it would be silly to get a card (you DID say you needed to buy a new video card, right?) that has one VGA and one DVI. There are cards on the market that have TWO of the native inputs to match your LCDs. By all means, if you have DVI on both of your monitors, then get a card that has dual-DVI if you can afford it. Or, the other way around, why pay for DVI input if the output of your LCDs are both VGA.

There IS a card out there that will do what you need, might as well get native connection if you can.

WC
    Jim Wright
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1218
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 00:51:04 (permalink)
    The Matrox P650 (one of several video cards I own, and my favorite)
    - has two outputs, and a third can be added if necessary
    - is fanless
    - can drive two DVI monitors, two analog (VGA/XVGA etc.) or any combination
    - is designed to be DAW-friendly and is sold specifically for audio workstations (unlike gamer video cards). This card will not cause any audio glitches if properly installed (AGP version, not PCIe version).
    - has decent 2D graphics
    - has lousy 3D graphics (not the best card for playing 1st-person shooter games like Doom, Quake...)
    - has exceptionally crisp text (unlike several nVidia-based cards I tried). This was obvious with both analog and DVI monitors - and matters to me for DAW work.
    - has very nice multi-monitor support. (Matrox has long specialized in dual/quad/ludicrous-output video cards, and their drivers, control panels, features are quite mature).

It's a bit pricey, but in this case you get what you pay for. YMMV, of course.

I'm talking about the AGP version, mind. I'm wary of any PCIe cards, until the audio interface vendors start selling PCIe sound cards (and tests show they work). (Maybe you can mix Firewire audio/MIDI interfaces with PCIe systems, but people using PCI-based audio cards in a PCIe-based system have reported major problems.)

- Jim
    nigel T
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 03:40:42 (permalink)
    One to each output, Erik.

Ok. Sounds simple enough. One LCD will connect to the VGA output, the other LCD to the DVI. I'll need a VGA adapter for the one DVI output.

I suppose it's a good thing I don't have three I need to connect.

Not much to add to b-rock in the tech area, but are both your LCD's VGA?

Yes, both are VGA. Until today I had never heard of DVI. But then again I'm a musician, what do I know?

....I'd like to see if those Best Buy geeks no how to design a ring modulated arp pattern wave from nuthin' but a dinky old sine wave. Boy, I tell ya.....
    post edited by nigel T - 2005/11/26 03:43:29
    burkek
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 07:20:42 (permalink)
    I have the Matrox G-450 dual-head video card hooked up to 2 19" LCD's. As was mentioned, Matrox are not great for gaming, however they are known to have the fastest 2D cards (which is exactly the environment we're working in).

KEv

www.kevinburke.ca

Macbook Pro 2017 | 4K monitor 
    AKAI S5000 x 3 | Korg Prophecy/Poly-61M | Alesis S4+/DM5 | Ensoniq Mirage x 2, ASR-10 | EMU e6400 | Roland S750 | Kawai K4r/XD-5/K3m | EMU Proformance/1+ | Waldorf uQ

Moog Foog
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 08:53:59 (permalink)
    Im selling my Viewsonic VA520 Flat Panel...if anyone is interested in a 2nd monitor to spread out your workspace window. Im in California USA
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 10:49:07 (permalink)
    I just bought an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600XT and it doesnt use the DVI outs...it has one funny looking VGA port that accomodates a fancy octopus type connector with S Video, dual VGA, SPDIF, etc cables built in. Pretty cool. and couldnt be easier to hook up!

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 10:58:27 (permalink)
    Since we have some experts here, I need a new dual-head PCI or PCI-e video card. I was very happy with my Matrox AGP, but no such slot in my new PC (and I thought I was future proofing). Nothing fancy, I just want my screen space back. I'm using 2 VGA 19 inch. Finally, I blew my wad on the computer, X-mas is coming for others since mine already came, and I'm a cheap bastard.

Any suggestions?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 11:15:41 (permalink)
    I'm no expert, but I can tell you this: the PCI cards were being blown out at Best Buy when I was there (a few weeks back). IIRC, there was a 5600 dual (256 meg of texture memory) for the PCI buss going for like 50 bucks. Maybe some dumb rebate involved; I'm not sure.

One thing to watch for with nVidia: There are a few dual-head models that require an auxiliary feed from your power supply, in addition to the buss. Might be enough to push an overtaxed borderline power supply over the edge. The other thing: fan noise. This isn't something that you can check immediately, but nVidia fans aren't the quietest; quite the opposite. Save all of that packing material for a return if you find those levels intrusive.

PCI-e would probably be the way to go at this point, in a future-proofing sense (how's that for an oxymoron?), but if you read Jim Wright's post, that may be a little "too-early adopter" at this point. I'd say a wait-and-see approach to PCI-e might be prudent.
    AT
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 11:25:49 (permalink)
    B-rock,

thanks for the thoughts. I was thinking PCI, although my video editor was, of course, saying that PCi would cause some jitter in redraws. Not that much of a problem for audio, and he's a mac guy anyway. Matrox would be great, since I had no problems with it, but I can go lower.

I'll look for one of the cheap ones - there hasn't been anything in the post thanksgiving circulars, except for the gaming cards. I guess I have to get off my can and go out there amongst the crazed shoppers. I should have gone ahead and got one at Fry's when I got my computer. Oh, how we suffer for our art.

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    vOidvOice
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/26 11:51:55 (permalink)
    If your buying a new vid card it should come with a DVI VGA adapter. Check the box.
    If your not gaming get the cheapest. If your gaming get a good game card and run it single. A lot of games don't like dual, it confuses them.
    Put in a cheap dual card for the extra monitors
    da berzurkur
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/27 00:38:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Moog Foog

Im selling my Viewsonic VA520 Flat Panel...if anyone is interested in a 2nd monitor to spread out your workspace window. Im in California USA

I have one of these...great little 15" screen but I am thinking of upgrading to 17" or 19"...

how much do you want for it?
    AT
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/27 01:08:12 (permalink)
    Yea, I got a cheapee at CompUSA - $54 (mad dog prowler or some such nonsense name). It has a dual head and a video out, which was a nice bonus. I've been thinking of using a Sonar screen for a music video but didn't want the flicker you get when you shoot it. They also had a one with more on-board memory (128 instead of 64) for $50, but there was a $35 rebate involved (PNY - I've got one of their memory sticks which works like a charm). But I've already got one rebate coming for the computer and I only had $80 cash on me, so that made the decision. Works great, despite the name.

It is nice to have 2 screens again so I can spread out my view. Even tho they are cathoides, the screens make life much easier.

Jim Wright
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1218
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/27 13:51:45 (permalink)
    AT: I've been thinking of using a Sonar screen for a music video but didn't want the flicker you get when you shoot it.

I don't know if this will do what you want, but I've just started using a program called 'Camtasia' at work.
    It's a screen-recorder-on-steroids designed for recording live presentations and making demo videos of computer software.

It records the video right off your screen, with no image degradation of flicker; has variable frame rate, has an editor for adding audio, transitions, video effects ..... the audio editor is nothing fancy (one track!) but you could do your basic video assembly in Camtasia and export an AVI or QuickTime to Sonar to add multiple audio tracks (which is what I'm going to do). IIRC, it can also handle recording an external video input (live camera) if you have the necessary hardware.
    Oh, you capture video from a window, rectangular region or the whole screen -- and handles multi-monitor setups just fine.

So far, my impressions are very positive -- seems polished; excellent documentation (and tutorial videos - no surprise there!) and very easy to use. There's a 30-day fully-functional demo download available; street price is around $300.
    My team is buying a copy next week. For what we want to do -- building demos and tutorials for a complex software system we're developing, and 'filming' bugs so we can send "smoking gun" evidence to our 'partner' teams in other locations -- Camtasia is perfect. Usual disclaimer: no commercial connection, YMMV, yada yada.

Camtasia: www.techsmith.com

- Jim
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/27 14:14:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: vOidvOice

If your buying a new vid card it should come with a DVI VGA adapter. Check the box.
    If your not gaming get the cheapest. If your gaming get a good game card and run it single. A lot of games don't like dual, it confuses them.
    Put in a cheap dual card for the extra monitors

Just for the record, the one I mentioned above works well for gaming and for my music. I'm a pretty hardcore PC Gamer too, so the performance was just as important to me as my musical needs of having a dual monitor. Now I can do it all...and I dont need a DVI adapter anymore.
    b rock
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/27 15:13:02 (permalink)
    I've just started using a program called 'Camtasia' at work.
    That's what Mojo uses. Looked like it was quite the program. Maybe Chris'll add to the fine points.
    musicmanrick
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/11/28 21:07:10 (permalink)
    I have 3 NVidia XFX 6600GT video cards with 128mb DDR3 ea. (about $200.00 ea) Each card has 2 DVI outputs so I use 6 - 21' monitors. Some with DVI to VGA adapters. Excellent all around card.
    nigel T
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/12/10 01:35:35 (permalink)
    So I finally got them running. Turns out what I needed was a DVI-I male to VGA female adapter. 99 cents on ebay ($9.95 s&h). Gotta love ebay. Especially when you get the package and the actual shipping cost on the envelope was a buck and half.

ANYHOO...

My sheer joy and delight at seeing P5 in all it's glory on two monitors was like an early Christmas. You'd think I'd just won the lottery I was so darn giddy.

What I'd like to be able to do is have the editor on the right side and the arrange pane on the left. I can do it by resizing the two but I run into a problem when I try to resize the bottom edge of the editor, meaning I can't see it-it's hiden underneath the toolbar.

Does anyone have a quick fix for this or am I stuck? What ways do the dual monitor folks find they best utilize dual monitors?
    nigel T
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/12/10 01:44:43 (permalink)
    Nevermind!

I figured it out. It's a little tricky but if you fiddle with the taskbar properties you can do it. Although it looks like I'll have to do it every time I open P5.
    b rock
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/12/10 04:53:59 (permalink)
    Although it looks like I'll have to do it every time I open P5.
    Float it, resize to taste, get everything just right (check it twice), and Save As Template.
    philchetcuti3
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1361
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/12/10 04:56:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

Save As Template.

Scary...that makes my skin crawl
    b rock
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/12/10 05:00:06 (permalink)
    Scary...that makes my skin craw
    Phil's right. Check it 109 times instead, and look for a hidden loop anomaly around measure 83.
    philchetcuti3
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/12/10 05:00:57 (permalink)

Scary...that makes my skin craw
    Phil's right. Check it 109 times instead, and look for a hidden loop anomaly around measure 83.

82 dude, get it right
    b rock
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/12/10 05:04:08 (permalink)
    It's 5 AM, Phil, and I haven't been to sleep yet. Is +/-1 measure an excessive tolerance to give me, considering the circumstances?
    philchetcuti3
    RE: Dual Monitor question 2005/12/10 05:05:34 (permalink)

It's 5 AM, Phil, and I haven't been to sleep yet. Is +/-1 measure an excessive tolerance to give me, considering the circumstances?

Anybody else, its acceptable
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1