Dynamic user customizable user interface for Sonar...a skylight revamp ??!!

Author
ramscapri
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2016/04/10 16:04:54 (permalink)
4 (1)

Dynamic user customizable user interface for Sonar...a skylight revamp ??!!

Why not have a fully user customizable skylight ?!

I am quite impressed by this amazing customizable user interface of this software called Blender where you can split and merge editor and view windows at will and to virtually unlimited extent. This way the user can on the fly create scenes and layouts as one wishes ! In case you haven't chanced seeing it, here's a link to a short .gif which illustrates just the surface of it...sure the applicability has a lot of depth to it !

http://postimg.org/image/52nly03dp/

Can't see why something of this sort (not necessarily a copy of the same idea) cannot be implemented in Sonar. It could take the idea of skylight to a new level. Am sure the bakers could do a much more impressive thing of something like this....just a thought....what say ? 

Sonar Platinum ∞, HP Envy Core i7-4700 Quadcore touchscreen laptop, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, Roland Octacapture, Zoom H6, Akai MPK Mini mk2, Novation Launchpad Mini mk2, NI Komplete 11, KRK KNS-8400, AKG P120

2 Replies Related Threads

Notecrusher
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: Dynamic user customizable user interface for Sonar...a skylight revamp ??!! 2016/04/14 15:35:09 (permalink)
    This is coming. See "UI Themes":
    https://www.cakewalk.com/.../SONAR/Rolling-Updates
    ricoskyl
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 327
    Re: Dynamic user customizable user interface for Sonar...a skylight revamp ??!! 2016/04/14 23:58:57 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The Cakewalk promotions and early sneak peeks on Facebook emphasize themes and skins.  I don't think the update will have an impact on the flexibility of window placements, splits and combinations.  I agree that there are some specific GUI items that could be addressed, but I don't think any of those are coming this Spring.

Here are some GUI items I'd like to see:
    • Additional multidocks that would allow two or more different views (for example PRV and Step Sequencer) concurrently.  Likewise, it could display multiple resources using the same view (one browser showing audio clips in one folder location while a second browser shows audio clips from a different location.) I have multiple screens and that would allow me to really capitalize on that real estate.  Maybe the tabs at the bottom could be dragged out like Chrome's tabs to create new windows?
    • A pane split function that would allow the presentation of two different portions of a single screen at the same time.  In Track View for example, this could mean showing tracks 1,2,3,29,30,31 in the same view with a horizontal split between 3 and 29, or a few measures frozen in Track View, (the chorus?) with a vertical split which lets the tracks scroll through the measures as the project plays.
    • An enhanced flexible virtual controller that graphically depicts control elements like pitchwheel, sliders, joystick, xy pads, etc rather than just a crude keyboard and qwerty controls.  I envision this to be like the RP instrument page or an enhanced FX chain interface, but would allow any element(s) to be mapped to any controller element. Control multiple bus levels and the reverb depth of a synth plugin with a single controller in real time?  Touchscreen controlled? 
    • Graphically represent patched connections and routing
    • Plugin thumbnails that pop up like tool tips when you hover over their FX bin placeholders (I like the QuadCurve thumbnail in ProChannel, but I'd love that concept to be applied to all plugs with pop ups.)
    I'm excited to see the new skins and themes, but I'm really interested in the functional possibilities.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
    Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
    ----------------------
    Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1