Dynamic vocals

Author
BigJGTR
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2011/03/16 21:45:08 (permalink)

Dynamic vocals

Ive been working with a female singer these days and I find myself adjusting her vocal track levels because when shes singing normal the levels are pretty much in line but then when she lets loose its very explosive. Then when we mix stuff down the vocal tracks always seem to get louder in some areas, softer in others. Ive tried using adding or dropping gain, ive used Vvocal dynamics, just wondering if you guys have any better techniques I can use! Thanks!

18 Replies Related Threads

danbob
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/16 22:46:15 (permalink)
    Compression, perhaps?
    savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/16 22:55:14 (permalink)
    The singer's mic technique is the the engineer's best friend............Ron 
    post edited by savageopera - 2011/03/16 22:58:03

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/16 22:58:02 (permalink)
    I've worked with similar singers. Some of this is inadequate mic technique. I tend to use a compressor set up with a high threshold and moderate ratio (somewhat like a limiter). I also gain ride the makeup gain a bit during tracking. For mixing the best solution is usually to cut the vocal into clips and use clip-gain-envelopes as needed. Another way is to use two compressors in series: one to grab the peaks at a high ratio and threshold, and another with a more gentle treatment to average out the phrases.
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/16 23:11:47 (permalink)
        I've had to mix tracks the required literally hundreds of volume automation events in one vocal track...sometimes several events for one word.  Dont be shy about rolling up the sleeves, zooming way in and getting dirty. 

Using the 'write' function and controlling  the volume via virtual fader or real fader (if you have a midi controller with with assignable volume faders) can be useful for people.  I usually use a mix of the two, where I will automate the slider in different areas, then tweak the envelope manually after that.

I do not like the "compression right off the bat" approach, especially if the track volumes are all over the place.  If you have ever mixed on a 4track you can remember the pain of having to memorize slider moves and practice before you bounce...with DAW's it's soooo much easier, although it can still be painstakingly tedious at times.

My short answer
    -Volume automation (lots of it if need be)
    -then light compression if appropriate.

I'm certainly no expert but here's my workflow and thoughts on vocal compression (maybe it will help, maybe no one is reading anymore)
    -Main Vox track gets compressed slightly
    -...it then gets routed to a Voxbus which is compressed slightly with the other Vox tracks for "glue"
    .....that bus may get routed to a mastering plug in (T-Racks in my case) for more compression/limiting/boosting. 
    So in this case, our main vox track will probably get some sort of compression 3 times which adds up, atleast in my experience.  The end result can sound like a compressed pile of .....stuff... by the end, even if your first compressed treatment did not sound so bad.
        Therefore-I try and rely on compression to treat my volumes as little as possible as I know they will most likely get compressed in various amounts at later stages of the mix.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/17 01:25:34 (permalink)
    Good ideas here - it is what we all use.  Most of the heavy lifting is/should be done w/ automation.  It can be section changes, or almost by word.  But evening out the "performance" is the key.

And as Mike sez, comp on the track, comp on the bus.  For the last couple of years I've been comping during recording, as much for the electronics on the hardware as for the little bit of compression used.  And as feedback sez, it is common to use two comps, or a comp/limiter combo.  Another trick is parallel compression.  Squash the heck out of the track but bleed a little of the dynamics back in it (you can do this a couple of ways).  For really problematic vocals you can copy the track, squash it and automate or cut that in/out where you need the volume.

Have fun.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/17 06:52:25 (permalink)
    I always record my instruments with a slight amount of compression using a hardware compressor. This stops overs. I send my signal in as close to -6dB as possible and just run a slight comp at like 2:1 to even things up a bit.

Also, the singer needs to know proper vocal tehcniques when singing. When I hit something hard, I back off the mic just a little so it doesn't hit really loud. But even if I don't back off as much as I may need to, the outboard comp I'm running takes care of me.

From there once I'm done recording the vocal, I automate it a bit and then compress it a little more just to keep it nice and tight without any artifacts. This is pretty much the standard norm for most engineers these days. :)

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/17 09:00:14 (permalink)
    All good points.

The singer using proper mic techniques will almost eliminate the need for much work in the mixing stages when it comes to gain & levels.  This is your first line of defense, so to speak.

Assuming there are places where the singer didn't pull back far enough on a loud passage, use the envelopes to set the right level in the track. This also assumes that the loud passage didn't clip the wave form. If it's clipped, record it again.

On envelopes, I simply tun them on and insert it early, in the count in measures. Then I always edit them manually. I add, delete, move the nodes to where I need. I zoom in as far as I need to get a surgical edit. And in reality, for an average song, it doesn't take long to do a volume envelope edit. Especially on a single vocal track. Vocals tend to me in clearly defined segments, and in a segment, the levels are GENERALLY pretty much the same, they can and will vary from one segment to the next. Two nodes before and two nodes after, then drag the line up or down...... it's done. I use envelopes extensively.

I do actually have a light compression on the input... it occurs in the DSP in the Focusrite Saffire but I don't have it set to heavy, nor do I use one in the platform on incoming audio. It's there, but I don't ever mess with it. It's intentionally very light.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/03/17 09:01:47

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/17 13:51:25 (permalink)
    I'm one of those singers whose volume is all over the place. It's not that I don't know how to use a mic, it's just that sometimes belting or whispering is the only way for me to hit the extremes of my range. I'm happy if I just get the sound on disk without clipping and worry about leveling later.

Leveling always starts with volume automation for coarse adjustment, typically with just a single node in front of each clip, maybe more for long clips. I try to get each clip to be approximately the same volume as the others in the track, without worrying about individual words and syllables. Ignore peak markers as they're no help here; judge by ear alone. Solo the track while doing this so you're not influenced by how it sits in the overall mix because at this point you don't care.

Next step is V-Vocal. I use that to balance individual words and syllables, which usually means lowering "S"s and hard consonants, and long vowels that resonate or sound woofy. While I'm in there I also soften breath noises as needed and mute any large gaps between phrases. I know a lot of people hate V-Vocal or are scared it's going to do something bad, but the Dynamics section is pretty safe. Of course, always audition every change you make, both in solo and in context.

At this point the track should sound pretty consistent but has yet to be at all smashed. The final step is compression. For vocals I like to use the Kjaerhus Classic Compressor on individual tracks. For maximum smoothness (not always desirable, but sometimes just what's needed) I'll use two instances, the first with a high threshold, fast attack and release so it just gets the peaks, the second with a slower attack and longer release for leveling.

Then, if I want a really smooth and homogeneous sound, I'll put an additional compressor on the vocal bus. Just remember that when you use more than one compressor they multiply, so you have to use gentle ratios like 1.5:1 or 2:1. If you find you need to use higher ratios, go back to the previous steps because you don't want to depend on compression that much. The less you rely on compressors, the better.

Because parts of a vocal track may necessarily be hotter than other parts, I also often like to automate the compressor's threshold. That way I don't have to find a compromise setting that works for the entire track, but can tailor the threshold to each section or clip.

One other thing that is sometimes needed is remedial EQ for resonances. If you don't have a proper vocal booth (and who does?) there will often be resonances that cause certain notes and tones within notes to be too pronounced. You can't fix this by volume manipulation alone. Normal EQ doesn't usually do it, either, because it's specific notes that are a problem.

Three things may help to mitigate this. First, try singing further back from the mic. Sometimes that doesn't help at all, sometimes it's just the ticket. Depends on your room, your mic and how strong a singer you are. Second, try setting your mic to Omni if you have that option. In a dead room or a nicely reverberant room, you won't be harmed by what's picked up from the back of the mic. It may even help. But mostly, it flattens the mic's frequency response. And finally, if all else fails you can resort to a multiband compressor.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2011/03/17 13:54:04

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    LpMike75
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/17 15:40:23 (permalink)
    Bit-
        Do you find it easier to manually lower the "esses" in V-Vocal as opposed to a regular volume envelope?  I have never used V-Vocal for such a job, does it have a feature that makes this easier than a normal envelope?
        I will try it out a little on the next project

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    bitflipper
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/17 17:40:21 (permalink)
    Do you find it easier to manually lower the "esses" in V-Vocal as opposed to a regular volume envelope?

Yes, definitely. V-V automatically puts in the gradual level change slope for you, which greatly speeds the process. With practice, you can visibly gauge how much to dip it, which is harder with volume envelopes. The only real compromise is the lack of convenient un-do once you've bounced the track.

Sometimes, the V-V trick doesn't do the trick, though. It has to be a good-sounding "S" that's just too loud. If an "S" is too piercing due to a say, a resonance in the mic, just lowering the overall volume won't take the annoying frequency out. It'll still be there and still be annoying, just quieter. For that kind of scenario, you have to get creative. The best treatment is to re-track the vocal, which you can do just to extract the "S"s if you want to hang on to the original performance.

My Stuff
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/17 20:52:45 (permalink)
    One of the best techniques possible and it beats the pants of using any form of compression during tracking is gain riding but it is dangerous and it only really works well if YOU know the vocal backwards ie exactly where the highs and lows are going to fall.

Also I mean riding the mic gain too not the fader of the mic channel if its on a mixer etc.

You end up with a much more even track, then any compression that follows after is going to be acting on a signal that is predominately the same level all the way through hence the compressor will sound better.

Another technique which Mick Stavrou (famous engineer otherwise known as Stav) here in Australia uses is to put the mike on the end of a boom and you continuously move the mike in and out yourself physically while the singer does their thing. This also requires the use of knowing the music inside and out. It also looks weird and can be distracting for the singer. The trouble with singers who think they know all about mic technique is they often over do it and pull back too far and the signal drops away too much. I tend to tell them to stop it and let me take care of it instead.

But otherwise a compressor set with a high threshold ie limiting during tracking will at least catch the loud bits and the rest is up to you to handle with automation etc.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    LpMike75
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/17 21:06:10 (permalink)
    Thanks Bit I will try out V-vocal next time and see how it works for that job.
        I little trick for a d'esser:
    A) Copy vocal track
    B) insert side chainable compressor on main vocal track (I like Sonitus)
    C) insert EQ on the copied vocal track.  Sweep the higher EQ frequencies on the copied track and exaggerate the "ESS" by boosting.
    D) Assign the output of copied vocal track to the sidechain input of your main vocal track compressor.  This will make those exaggerated "ESSes" trigger the compressor. 
    Compression setting-fast attack-fast release-high ratio 20:1 for example.  Then adjust threshold to taste.  I've had pretty good results with this. 
        I've never messed much with a real "de'esser" so I can't say how they work in comparison to this technique.  Hopeful this is useful for someone.

- Mike
    bitflipper
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/18 01:07:21 (permalink)
    That's pretty much what a de-esser does. You've basically made your own de-esser, albeit one that's probably much more tunable and sensitive than most.

I try to avoid de-essers because each "S" instance may be different and require a different treatment from the others. You'll sometimes dial in a good setting only to find that it only works well on the "S"s you tested it on, but turns others into a lisp.

On the rare occasions that I do reach for a a de-esser, my favorite is the freebie Spitfish.

My Stuff
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/18 06:30:57 (permalink)
    Never had much luck with software de-essers - the most transparent one I've ever used was the one included with the DBX 286A channel strip.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/18 10:24:40 (permalink)
    I try to avoid de-essers because each "S" instance may be different and require a different treatment from the others. You'll sometimes dial in a good setting only to find that it only works well on the "S"s you tested it on, but turns others into a lisp.

Agreed.    I've spent more time tuning/automating a de-esser to get a good sound on the entire voice track, than I've spent just editing a level envelope to lower the esses.

And here's where X1 is better than previous versions. Instead of create envelope, drag select the ess, right-click, add nodes at selection, drag envelope like in 8.5, you can just create envelope, drag select the ess, drag envelope which will create the nodes when you drag the envelope selection. Sounds minor, but it's a real workflow enhancer.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/18 10:39:01 (permalink)
    most pro mixers learn the performance, and ride the fader while recording.

combine that with a nice leveler that wont crush the dynamics, only lop the peaks off..

later, on mixdown, provide a nice compressor on the track, and another on the sub buss....... use the first to gently caress the performance, and the 2nd to catch and set the absolute limit for peaks

if you're mixing in the box, then, automate!
    it's easy!

i find volume automation much preferable to compression, truthfully, i find a midline level to start with, where it mostly all sounds good, and then set that envelope, then start cherry picking the sections i want softer and louder, and just pop a couple of nodes on either side of those sections, and bring them down and up.

that's the whole point of the automation.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/18 12:31:07 (permalink)
    If you do ride mic gain during the recording and you do it well you are more than half way there. This is also another situation where working at a K system ref level is your friend and you have a VU meter showing what is being recorded. This is one area where VU meters excel and that is showing voice levels. Because when you are gain riding you have to have something to keep showing you what level you are putting down and aim to keep things at. Peak meters wont tell you a thing.

If you are going to have two compressors on a vocal track many people often believe the first one should be easy compression and the second limiting. But I have found it actually sounds better to my ears the other way around. ie the first processor on the vocal track during mixdown should be limiting. Very high threshold, fast attack and only occasional peak limiting at that. That tames any silly loud bits first and if you have done you job well with gain riding they wont be there in the first place.

Then the second processor (compression) on the vocal buss say set at easy compression. eg 2 or 3 : 1. Threshold set so it is working quite a lot of the time but due to the lower ratio it would sound like it. Gain reduction maybe not too much either, 3 or 4 db on average.

By all means try it the other way around as batsbrew suggests and try it my way too and see what sounds better to you.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    BigJGTR
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:Dynamic vocals 2011/03/22 11:03:08 (permalink)
    THanks everyone for your all your input. After reading all this I realise that with this singer im working with, part of the problem is her mic tech, and the rest I will just have to keep working on the tracks to get them in line. I do use compression but as Im kinda new to using effects effectively for recording, i still have lots to learn. She has only ever sang live and feels kinda funny not actually holding the mic when shes is singing, we laugh about it.  Thanks again for all your input!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1