EG Panning in Dimentia Pro

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2008/01/13 21:13:12 (permalink)

EG Panning in Dimentia Pro

It seems to me that it's only possible to pan to one side, not both, using the Pan portion of the EGs, because the Pan centre position is at the Zero setting of the EG, and not halfway.

It is possible to choose to Pan either right or left (by using the Plus/minus value of the EG's depth) but this still does not allow panning both ways at any given time.

The same seems to apply to Pitch. You can EG up or down, but not both.

Is there a reasonable way around this? Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help

Nick
post edited by OldNick - 2008/01/13 21:31:07

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: EG Panning in Dimentia Pro 2008/01/13 22:27:47 (permalink)
    it's only possible to pan to one side, not both, using the Pan portion of the EGs, because the Pan centre position is at the Zero setting of the EG, and not halfway.
    It may help to think of it this way, Nick. The EGs are additive to whatever Pan position is set in the Mixer section. If that Pan control is centered, and the EG Depth is positive, it'll travel to the right. Negative, and it'll pan towards the left. The EGs are unidirectional.
    Is there a reasonable way around this?
    I suppose that you'd be using a Pan LFO if you didn't need the configurable nature of the EGs. The LFOs are bi-directional, and will travel positively & negatively over a given Depth value and Pan knob position. However, in Dimension, you're limited to the supplied 'shapes'.

Try this with your Pan EGs:
    Set your Pan pot position to -50%, and your EG Depth to 100%. (Alternately, pan position to 50%, and the EG Depth to -100%). Now a node set midway up (level: 0.500) will represent center, a node at the top (level: 1.000) will be 50% right, and a node at the bottom of the display will be -50% (left; level: 0.000).

Edit: If you require a wider pan swing than that (+/-100%, for example), I can think of a few more ways to do it, but we may be getting beyond "reasonable" now. For instance, two nearly identical Elements, with Pan envelopes inverted from one another. In addition, one Amp EG would have to fade out while the other Amp EG fades in.
    post edited by b rock - 2008/01/13 22:45:00
    OldNick
    RE: EG Panning in Dimentia Pro 2008/01/13 23:32:06 (permalink)
    Thanks b rock! Excellent reply and it has given me some stuff to try. . I had started using the "keyboard tracking" section of the EGs, next to the LFO part. You can set them to offset the effect. I had just got around to this, but had other stiff to do. When I cam back I saw your message.

I did want the configurability of the EGs to alter the speed over time for each note event. There is probably a plugin somewhere that does exactly what I want. In fact there is a sample-synth that I already have, called shortcircuit, but boy! is it complex!

I am not sure how the Keyboard Tracking compares to the Pan idea. I have not experimented yet with the fact that this _is_ a Key tracking control, or whether it allows full panning. I will kick it around.

Edit: Just tried it. AFAICS the Key Tracking gives the same spread effect as the idea of using ghe Pan, and Pan is a lot simpler! <G>

Your idea of using two elements is, as you say, only just "reasonable", but if I try it and it works I can use it as a preset.

Nick
    post edited by OldNick - 2008/01/13 23:52:06

Nick
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: EG Panning in Dimentia Pro 2008/01/14 21:59:47 (permalink)
    Here's something that I never applied to panning, but it may be what you're after, Nick.

Set the Pan EG Depth to 100%.
    Twist the Pan knob fully left to -100%.
    Add this line to the MIDI Matrix:
    CC127 -> Pan(1) -> 100.0 -> {smoothing optional}

-OR-

Set the Pan EG Depth to -100%.
    Twist the Pan knob fully right to 100%.
    Add this line to the MIDI Matrix:
    CC127 -> Pan(1) -> -100.0 -> {smoothing optional}
    I have not experimented yet with the fact that this _is_ a Key tracking control, or whether it allows full panning.
    There's a neat little trick to using the Keytrack widget as a 'master' control, and this will work with any of the Modulator types (except Pitch). Click on the Keytrack control, but instead of using the mouse to move single nodes, use the Up/Down arrow keys, or Page Up / Page Down. Both nodes will move at once. (Right-clicking on the widget will give you the option to reset any adjustments).

It's very useful for master Element volume adjustments, giving a 'boost' to filter resonance, etc.
    OldNick
    RE: EG Panning in Dimentia Pro 2008/01/15 00:02:53 (permalink)
    Ahhh...you are as bad as I am <G>

I will have a look at that idea of the Panning. Can't wait to try that.

It seems that the Key Tracker is _not_ a keytracker as long as you keep the bar level (which is what your keyboard method will do). I was fiddling about getting both nodes even. Thanks for the quick way.

Really appreciate the effort. I still feel as if I have been given and orchestra, and have a lot to learn about the "players" before I can use it properly.

Often you may only use a thing once, but knowing what it can do makes day to day work so much easier.

Nick

Nick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1