E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MP3D
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2005/12/22 12:12:03 (permalink)

E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup???

I have just purchased 2004 XL home addtion and the E-Mu 0404 Soundcard..I am new to the world of Midi and iam wanting to explore this area of music....

My search for information on how to setup the E-MU patch mix DSP and 2004 XL for midi is leading me to topics I dont understand at this time..but i would realy like to start working with this format..Could someone help a fellow musician out on how to setup the E-MU 0404 sound card with 2004 XL and my midi keyboard..

My specs:

1.7gig CPU.
1 gig Ram.
E-MU 0404 soundcard.
Yamaha PSR 530 keyboard.(with two,five pin midi cables...in/out)..
Windows XP home addtion..

i can allso be contacted at: rdjstyle2003@yahoo.com ..please include E-MU help in the Subject field...

Thanks for any help anyone can give me..

MP3D

31 Replies Related Threads

DeBro
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/22 21:49:25 (permalink)
    What's 2004 XL home addtion? There are product manuals and help files, and you have to state specifically what is it you don't understand from these guides.
    post edited by DeBro - 2005/12/22 21:53:10
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/22 22:30:48 (permalink)
    DeBro, i have been reading the help files/manual..i am still working thru the manual...i have a basic knowledge useing Cakewalk..i have a copy of Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 ...and the GUI is allmost the same...

I have Cakewalk 2 XL home addtion ...the box says 2004 XL...

The problem i am haveing is setting up my soundcard to recieve and send Midi data to Cakewalk 2 and to be able to hear it on my studio speakers.I have a M-Audio O2 midi keyboard (USB connection)which works fine...I can open Cakewalk up and play and hear the sounds thur the E-MU soundcard without setting anything in the E-MU DSP window...but i cant get my Yamaha to do anything...i have the 5 pin midi cables(2 cables..in and out) connected the way the manual says to hook them up...but there is still no joy...I have been reading and I have recieved an e-mail from a community member..My knowledge in patching a soundcard to a device is very limited..So when i open the E-MU DSP I become very confused with all the numbers and slots to be patched..

I hope this helps in understanding my problem..I assure you that I am researching to try to figure this out on my own...but I need some help getting started...

Again thanks for anyhelp on this.
    MP3D
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/22 23:55:18 (permalink)
    Look under options/midi devices and make sure that the device that the keyboard is plugged into is listed as the midi in. Then if you want the midi to output to the sound card choose that as the midi out, or if you want it to go back to the keyboard chose the same device as input

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/23 08:23:35 (permalink)
    The Emu 0404 has a midi interface. In Home Studio, go to Options > Midi Devices and select Emu in the inputs and in the outputs fileds. Since the M-Audio 02 is a midi controller, select that also in the inputs field, then click OK.

In setting up PatchMix, go to this guide:
    http://www.cgoff.fsnet.co.uk/patchmix/

For the latest drivers and PatchMiix software: http://www.emu.com/support/files/download2.asp?Centric=764&Platform=1

See this better PatchMix Skin than the default one from Emu. To download it if you like it: http://oisteinr.homeftp.net/Files/Emu/EMUPatchMix1.81.exe

I'll continue when you state you have gotten this far.
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/23 10:11:27 (permalink)
    thanks....iam working on it now i will let you know when i have completed all the steps..

MP3D
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/23 12:55:08 (permalink)
    WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! this is awesome...i followed the instruction's you posted and I now have my Yamaha analogue instruments working with E-MU and Cakewalk....the only thing is you have to arm the track in order to hear the sound which is tottaly fine with me...

I down loaded the new drivers...i havent loaded a new skin yet that will come later...

now to get my midi working with my Yamaha and E-MU and Cakewalk...

Would there be a conflict with my 2 midi keyboards running at the same time? I read that I can use the "Thru" method..but one of my midi keyboards is a USB connection..I will research the O2 (USB connection)to see what it can do....

The link you gave me DeBro was very easy to follow...I am very greatful for your help..

you wouldnt have a link to setting up midi would you for the E-MU and Cakewalk..?...

MP3D
    DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/23 23:19:05 (permalink)
    I do not know what you mean by "arm the track in order to hear the sound." You just click on a track's header, which turns yellow, for it to have the focus of the keyboard. However, after correctly connecting the midi cables from the Yamaha keyboard to the Emu midi interface and Midi Devices selected in HS, go to Options > Instruments to open the Assign Instruments dialog box. There in the "Output/Channel field," select each individual channel for the Emu - 1 through 16 except channel 10 - and link them to Yamaha XG in the "Uses Instrument" field. Channel 10 for the Emu, link it to Yamaha XG Drum Kits. Click OK when you're done.

There should be no conflict with your two keyboards. With a midi track, you can actually set the output to the Yamaha XG, select a bank and patch, choose a midi channel, and play your M-Audio 02 to hear the sound of the Yamaha tone generator as you play.
    rougelander
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/25 16:53:53 (permalink)
    I have almost the same set up. I can hear midi through my keyboard, and I can hear audio through my speakers, but isn't there a way so i can listen to my midi songs through my speakers. Isn't there some sort of on pc synth i can use through home studio?
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/25 18:46:58 (permalink)
    rougelander,explan your setup in detail.I might be able to post my setup that i have...I allmost have my setup working.... well..i can play both my midi keyboards and they both record fine..I can hear them thru my monitors/speakers..and I can routh the sound thru my on board speakers as well...but I turn 'Local' off on my keyboard to prevent the sound from playig thru my keyboard speakers.....The problem I am now haveing is isolateing the two keyboards to play separate instruments at one time.....I am trying to work this out...I have the Analogue input and output working fine thru the e-mu patchmix dsp..and its allso records in SHS....

what happens is I setup a DXI synth for my Yamaha ..and then I add one more DXI synth for the M-Audio ..I select diffrent sounds for both instruments...And both keyboards play the same sound when I have the Yamah or M-Audio track in focus/selected..Is there a way to have more then one Midi track in focus/selected so i can have each keyboard play thier own instrument at one time??

my Yamaha is useing the midi in/out 5 pin connection on the E-mu and my M-Audio is useing a USB connection..I read that the USB connection creates its own midi patch/channels..

DeBro,I thought I had to arm (R) the track for the sound to play...But... after reading what you said I was wrong....The track that is in focus/selected is the track that plays....thanks thats something I didnt know about...awesome...

MP3D

rougelander
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/25 19:26:29 (permalink)
    I have a CTK-900 hooked into a 0404 emu card with Proteus X. I'm usign Home Studio v. 4.0 to edit the music/tracks and such. I was inserting Proteus X into the cakewalk synth rack and found out how to get it to play, but i'm having the same problem as you. I can't get Proteus X to work on more that the first channel. I tried setting cakewalk and proteus x sounds for channel 2 (like bass sounds). I set proteus into omni mode so it could get more sounds and such. Poly mode also gets me what i want, but omni looks more approprate. Is it nessicary to open a new synth for each new channel/track i want to record?

i figured out my other problem. It was a buried setting in cake walk or proteus that was set to WDM. I was getting a very loud feed and a ton of cpu load. I fixed it though.
    DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/25 21:10:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MP3D

what happens is I setup a DXI synth for my Yamaha ..and then I add one more DXI synth for the M-Audio ..I select diffrent sounds for both instruments...And both keyboards play the same sound when I have the Yamah or M-Audio track in focus/selected..Is there a way to have more then one Midi track in focus/selected so i can have each keyboard play thier own instrument at one time??

What you have to do is send and receive midi data on seperate channels.

First set the Yamaha to transmit midi data on channel 1 and set the M-Audio to transmit on Ch 2. In the midi track that the Yamaha is set to transmit to, set the input to E-DSP Midi Port [C000] > Midi Ch 1, and also the midi output Ch to 1. Likewise, in the midi track that the M-Audio is set to transmit to, set the input to USB Midi Port > Midi Ch 2, and also the midi output Ch to 2. When you play the Yamaha, it should only play the DXi that is being triggered by the midi track which is receiving data on CH 1. Similarly, when you play the M-Audio, it should only play the DXi that is being triggered by the midi track which is receiving data on CH 2.
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/25 21:11:31 (permalink)
    you need to setup a DXi synth track for each diffrent instrument you want to record..if you dont and you change the sound the whole track is affected...

you should switch to ASIO drivers and drop the WDM driver..the 0404 will handle it..and to me you get a cleaner sound...

you are so lucky....you have Proteus X working.....nothing seems to happen when i load it up...but iam working on that..(I think i need to reinstall it..).iam new to this part of music.....for years i used analogue by means of line in on my soundcard...now that iam exploreing the world of midi iam finding it a little hard to grasp it...but iam sure i will figure it out..but with my lack of terminology my search is limited on finding answer's related to my problems...but i keep reading and pluging along....

seeing how you can hear sound comeing out of your monitors your E-MU DSP is configured correctly...So i cant go any futher then this I realy wish i could...

take a look at this....its a quote from a website i have been reading..and there is a link to it allso.. if you are in the same boat iam in(Whats this midi stuff and can doctor's cure it...lolol.....)then this site is a good read......

"OMNI mode means that the synth will take all midi messages it recieves, ignore the channel data and play back all notes on the current channel. So lets say you have a sequence of a song that is arranged for a rock band. One channel plays drums, one bass and one a guitar line. Let's say that you have a synth in "OMNI" mode that has the bass guitar patch called up at the moment. Well if you send the whole sequence to the synth in "OMNI" mode it will play back all of the tracks: drums, guitar & bass using the bass guitar sound. Needless to say it will sound like a mess! To be honest, I'm not really sure why you would ever want to use OMNI mode and I always make sure my synths are not in that mode."

the link:
    http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/5821/midi-basics.html ..

lets hope one of the pro's finds this post and helps use get up and running ...

(edit)
    DeBro, i just seen your post as i was trying to help out rougelander .....I will follow your steps.....you have been a great help..i would like to pay you back..iam allso 3D artist if you need a graphic let me know i can model one for you...cool...

MP3D

post edited by MP3D - 2005/12/25 21:19:24
    DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/25 21:29:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rougelander

I have a CTK-900 hooked into a 0404 emu card with Proteus X. I'm usign Home Studio v. 4.0 to edit the music/tracks and such. I was inserting Proteus X into the cakewalk synth rack and found out how to get it to play, but i'm having the same problem as you. I can't get Proteus X to work on more that the first channel. I tried setting cakewalk and proteus x sounds for channel 2 (like bass sounds). I set proteus into omni mode so it could get more sounds and such. Poly mode also gets me what i want, but omni looks more approprate. Is it nessicary to open a new synth for each new channel/track i want to record?

I'm not familiar with the Proteus X, but you can open a new instance of it for each new channel/track if your computer has the horsepower to handle it.
    DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/25 21:35:09 (permalink)
    I'm also a visual artist.
    rougelander
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/25 21:42:30 (permalink)
    I've got the horsepower, but i just can't seem to get the computer to listen to ch.2 or others besides ch.1.
    rougelander
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/25 21:50:17 (permalink)
    ok, let me restate that.... My computer is recieving all signals from my keyboard, but nothing in cake walk or proteus sees the other channels. My only other guess is it could be a setting in my keyboard, which i'm going to investagate right now....
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/26 19:50:59 (permalink)
    DeBro,Thats pretty cool....(off topic)what type of art do you work on..

MP3D

DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/26 21:49:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MP3D

DeBro,Thats pretty cool....(off topic)what type of art do you work on..

I'm into drawing, painting, and graphic art. Along with creating music, I'm multi-talented.
    rougelander
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/26 23:40:20 (permalink)
    Ok guys, thanks for all the help. I'm on the emu forum trying to figure out more about proteus. but i got a running set up now, thanks.

Oh, and i;m trying out the trail of kinetic, i think its pretty sweet!
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/27 18:24:52 (permalink)
    DeBro,Iam still haveing problems with each instrument haveing its own sound...In the track view where you select input/output/channel the only option it gives me is my Yamaha XG channel 1-16 ...

Example of what I see.

In:Midi Omni,Channel 1-16 .....Out:1-E-DSP Midi Port [ff40]..
    Ch:1 Yamaha XG, 2 Yamaha XG...up to 16 ..

I have been reading....And from what I have read my USB keyboard should create its own virtual midi ports 16 in all... So I went and checked to see if SHS was seeing it by means of >options>instruments..In the window that pops up the list for>Output/Channel:
    lists the following:
    1:E-DSP Midi Port [ff40] / 1 and continues up to 16....

I made sure that it uses instrument: Yamaha XG except for channel 10 which is Yamaha XG Drums...(following your dirrections above)..

It allso has my USB Audio device listed:
    2:USB Audio Device / 1 and continues up to 16...

On the (Uses Instrument) I have tried all option's:
    General Midi, Generic patch,Roland GS,Yamaha XG and assigning channel 10 to the drumsets..still no joy...

Shouldnt i have an option for my USB keyboard so I can assign the 'Channel' to USB Audio Device..I have also looked to see if there were any updates on the driver for my O2 USB keyboard..there are no drivers...the website says it is "Class Compliant"So that was a dead end...

Any thoughts on this?Or are you as confused as I am..lolol..

MP3D
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/27 22:23:20 (permalink)
    Ummm...

The port called "E-DSP MIDI Port" is on your soundcard. The port called "USB Audio Device" is your M-Audio keyboard.
    DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/27 23:31:15 (permalink)
    To check if SHS is seeing your USB keyboard, you have to go to Options > Midi Devices > Inputs. If there is an entry for the USB keyboard in there, select it and click OK.

In a midi track, you should see in the "In" field, entries for E-DSP Midi Port > Midi Omni, Midi Ch. 1 through 16, and also USB Audio Device > Midi Omni, Midi Ch. 1 through 16.

Don't bother with the Assign Instruments dialog box and USB Audio Device. The M-Audio is being used as a midi cintroller - it is sending midi data to SHS and not SHS sending midi data to it.

I have read the following quote in the manual of the M-Audio 02:

Setting the Global MIDI Channel
    The M-Audio O2 can transmit on any of the standard 16 MIDI channels. If you are using a computer-based system, the software usually
    controls the routing of MIDI signals.
    If you are using a MIDI sound module or connecting to another piece of MIDI equipment, you will need to make sure that both your M-Audio
    O2 keyboard and the receiving unit are set to the same MIDI channel. The Global MIDI Channel affects the keyboard, Program, and Bank
    Changes, plus whatever controllers have been set to respond to the global setting.
    To set the Global MIDI Channel:
    1. Press the GLOBAL CHANNEL button. The keyboard enters Program Mode. The LED will display the currently selected Global Channel,
    preceded by a “c.”
    2. Type in the MIDI channel number using the numeric keys or use the preset “+/-“ keys.
    3. Press the ENTER key to accept the new channel, and exit Program Mode.

Have you set the Global Midi Channel to Ch 2?
    post edited by DeBro - 2005/12/27 23:34:36
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/27 23:43:51 (permalink)
    Thanks sinc,I have both keyboards produceing sound with diffrent instruments,But both keyboards have the same sound...I have tried to configure my tracks to DeBro instructions also trying diffrent settings but I can not get the 2 keyboards to produce their own sounds....

Example:
    I click on (insert) then (DXI Synth) and I select (Dyad DXI).SHS sets up the tracks needed to play the sound...
    I repeat the process but this time I select (Edirol VSC). SHS sets up the tracks needed to play the sound...

Now I select a diffrent instrument from each synth.The midi track that is in focus plays the instument I selected on both of the keyboards.I have followed DeBro's instruction's

DeBro's instruction's:

"First set the Yamaha to transmit midi data on channel 1 and set the M-Audio to transmit on Ch 2. In the midi track that the Yamaha is set to transmit to, set the input to E-DSP Midi Port [C000] > Midi Ch 1, and also the midi output Ch to 1. Likewise, in the midi track that the M-Audio is set to transmit to, set the input to USB Midi Port > Midi Ch 2, and also the midi output Ch to 2. When you play the Yamaha, it should only play the DXi that is being triggered by the midi track which is receiving data on CH 1. Similarly, when you play the M-Audio, it should only play the DXi that is being triggered by the midi track which is receiving data on CH 2. "...

I dont see these options when I click on a dropdown menu...Iam sure they wont be exact word for word..But close I would think....

I listed what I see in the track field..Maybe I need to do a clean install of SHS..To see if SHS will pick up my USB keyboard...Iam not sure right now....I will wait until all my option's are gone..or until someone who knows tells me that my problem...

thanks for the help...
    MP3D

this is an edit for DeBro..

no I havent set the Global midi Channel to 2....It amazes me on how you are finding this information....I promise you that Iam trying to figure this stuff out before i even post a question..I have been to many diffrent sites even M-Audio for information on the midi keyboards and setting it up...which lead me to no drivers for the keyboard(preinstalled XP)..And alot of other site that I will be reading later...

I know you have held my hand thru this whole setup process and for that I am greatfull..

So I humbly ask you for the link to manual on the M-Audio 02 so I can read it...

I will set the channels..

Again thanks for helping..

MP3D

post edited by MP3D - 2005/12/27 23:55:44
    DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/28 01:16:25 (permalink)
    I have two midi ports in my setup. The following image shows this configuration and yours should be similar once setup correctly.

Track 1's input is E-DSP Midi Port [C000] - Ch. 1, and track 2's input is USB Midi 1X1 - Ch. 2.

You've got to read the manuals of both keyboards to know how to set them up to transmit data on a specific midi channel.

The manual for the M-Audio 02 will be found here. Scroll towards the bottom and look for O2 User Guide (English).
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/28 21:05:05 (permalink)
    I believe this will be my last post on this topic..So the only thing I can do that I havent tried is offer pictures of my set up in SHS..DeBro I have followed and tried everything you have said...Still no joy....I dont have the option's you have in your picture...

I have read the manual on my yamaha and followed the settings listed....
    1: set transmit to 01:Tr.Ch ..
    2:set transmit to r1:Tr.Trk ...(r1 is my main voice used on the Yamaha)..
    3: set recieve to 01: Rcv.Ch ...
    4:set recieve to nor:Rcv. Mod .....
    5:set local to OFF:Local .......
    6: plug the 5 pin midi cable into the IN on the keyboard and then plug the other end into the OUT on my soundcard...
    7: plug the 5 pin midi cable into the OUT on my keyboard and then plug the other end into the IN on my soundcard...
    8: set the HOST SELECTOR SWITCH located on the back of the keyboard to MIDI.....

I have allso read the manual for my M-Audio O2 keyboard and I have allso followed the instructions posted by DeBro...

1:plug the USB cable into a USB socket with your PC OFF....
    2:boot up your PC and Windows XP will install the new hardware: .
    3:you can do 2 things use the GLOBAL Channel setting or Assign a channel to be used..
    4:I tried both ways on assigning a channel(no joy)...

I also tried a few more things that I thought would help like setting the (Midi out) on the O2 but nothing...

I also started to read the (E-MU) manual to see if I needed to setup a midi channel..Well from what I see and hear In SHS its set up properly...(meaning I can hear midi playing thru my monitors)...

so here are the pictures:

1:assign instrument XG:
    2:assign instrument USB:
    3:audio options driver:
    4:audio options general:
    5:audio options-ASIO mont:
    6:e-mu:
    7:midi ch 1:
    8:midi ch 1 out:
    9:midi ch 2:
    10:midi ch 2 out:
    11:midi devices:

I am sorry for all the pics but I want to make sure I have as much detail as I can.....
    I have also uninstalled SHS and reinstalled just to make sure everything was working ...

I guess the last step would be to roll everything I own up in a blanket and find the nearest ocen and toss it over...lololol...I respect those who work with midi interfaces at first I thought that it would be a piece of Cake..Well you guys make it look easy...

Thanks again,
    MP3D

DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/28 22:26:29 (permalink)
    You need to learn how to post links to images. You made me had to copy the URLs, do a search, and download them to my hard drive to analyze them.

However, after analyzing them, you have everything configured correctly. Though there is one problem. For what you want to acconplish, you'll have to upgrade to Sonar Home Studio 4. HS2004 isn't capable. I'll post an image of what a midi track's input entries for two midi ports look like in SHS4.
    post edited by DeBro - 2005/12/28 22:30:49
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/28 22:50:36 (permalink)
    sorry about the links to the pictures.....

Would SONAR Home Studio Version 4 XL work for me?I have home studio version 2 XL and the upgrade is 59$$If not then I guess I need to save and buy SHS 4....

MP3D
    DeBro
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/28 23:26:34 (permalink)
    This is how a midi track's input entries for two midi ports look in Sonar Home Studio 4:

SHS4 XL and SHS4 are basically the same; just that XL has extra goodies thrown in. Do the upgrade from HS2 XL to SHS4 XL and you'll be all set.
    MP3D
    RE: E-Mu 0404 and CakeWalk setup??? 2005/12/30 13:02:49 (permalink)
    DeBro Iam hopeing to upgrade this evening...(once the money has cleared the bank)..

You have been a great help..and for that I am greatful..

MP3D
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1