EQ Mixing & Mastering Question

Author
razor
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1557
2010/08/02 19:18:17 (permalink)

EQ Mixing & Mastering Question

Hello--

I've got Wavelab for mastering and am very satisfied with the accompanying EQ plug-ins that come with it--both EQ plug-ins and the visual meters.

My question is more of a technique question. Is it better to EQ each of your tracks in Sonar individually before mastering in a third-party program, or is it OK to just EQ the whole mix in the mastering--or both?

Thanks,

Stephen Davis

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
ADK DAW - (out of business 2018)
Intel i7 4930K CPU
Core i7 SB-E MOBO
16 GB DDR3 RAM
7 TB Storage
Layla 3G SoundCard (11.5 ms Roundtrip Latency)
UAD-2 DSP
WaveLab 8 Pro 64-bit 
Sound Forge 10 Pro

11 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/02 19:39:14 (permalink)
    You EQ your tracks and your master bus (stereo mix) as needed
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/02 19:40:17 (permalink)
    That's a good question. And there is room for more than one answer. My answer is: your tracks should get the strongest EQ treatment, with the master bus getting only very minor tweaks. Theoretically, if you get the tracks EQ'd right, you won't need any EQ on the master. And if you find that you need major filtering on the master, it's best to figure out why you're long on some bands and/or short on others - the best fix is most likely going to be at the track level.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    The.Multi.Dimensional.1
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/04 01:26:26 (permalink)
    Im with bitflipper on this 1. Thats my approach also.

www.facebook.com/BSMGGLOBAL
    dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/04 03:05:23 (permalink)
    I think you have answerd your own question, if you were taking the tracks to a mastering house, then the answer is no!!
    But because you are doing it yourself, then it's up to you.  I tend to master in Sonar but because i use a hardware compressor i tend  to bounce the track before mastering, so depending on the track and or the mood i somtimes use the eq on the master buss before i bounce and somtimes on the final mix file.  The question you should be asking do i put eq before the compressor or after the compressor.

Viva la Revolution
    Sonar Forverver, Pro Tools Never
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor of Creative Technology)
    http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/04 03:10:10 (permalink)
    I would say it's next to impossible to not need EQ on your tracks, your buses, individual clips even. It's the most important and powerful tool in your mixing toolkit next to the volume slider. (yeah yeah, all you compressor kids can just move along  )

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/04 12:17:37 (permalink)
    yeah yeah, all you compressor kids can just move along 

I'm just moving along. 

But Wicked is right. But even if the track doesn't need an EQ, I still like to put a high pass filter on it. Even if the slope starts at 35 to 40kHz. Every little bit helps.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/04 12:30:43 (permalink)
    My opinion is that you try to make your mix sound the way you want it to sound during the mixing phase.  Mastering (to me) is only used to make the entire compilation cohesive (meaning sound and feel like they were meant to be together).  This usualy involves some (slight) compression/limiting and very strategic equalization.

If you are applying too much of any of these, I'd strongly suggest that you go back and look at your mixes.

Other's will probably have a differing opinion.

Hope this helps,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    D.J. ESPO
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/04 14:06:09 (permalink)
    The nice thing about this is that you can try different things out  and experiment all you want ;..... The tape isn't wearing out and suffering generational degradation ( unfortunatley , at my age , my brain is !!)

Think about this one ... Allot of production like to have a very "airy" tonality , so the end up with low CPU style eq on almost every track . I read about and engineer who actually said that he started out a mix with his best quality , best at performing air boost eq ON THE MASTER BUSS!! .

THis way instead of all those lesser track eq's adding whatever grunge they did ( adding up across a bunch of tracks ) he just mixed into the one on the buss that already had a small air boost on it ..... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  

Whta'ya Think ????
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/04 14:20:37 (permalink)
    You put EQ on tracks to mix.  I, too, use a lot of high-pass filter and mostly cuts.

As for mastering - I have a home made preset on my Voxengo Curve EQ that I use for mastering.  I tweak it some, depending on the song, but it has some vintage-sytle saturation in it.  I use it as a tone control, imparting a general shape on my master, not to fix any problems.  It gives my songs a "sound" and glues a CD together, which is one of the purposes of mastering.

But hardware is better for mastering - if you send a CD out they'll probably be using high-end analog.  I do send my home mastering through such a stereo compressor/limiter, as well as a touch of software.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/04 15:12:55 (permalink)
    Mr Studio says this:

To be frank in respect of 'home mastering'. If you didnt hear a problem in the mix you arent going to fix it by mastering yourself. If you are happy with the mix, shove a couple of compressors each knocking off just a couple of db and a limiter on it and be done. If you are not happy with the mix, go fix the mix.

There is no mystique to mastering. Ultimately, where the audio is concerned, if the mix is good its simply about pushing up the levels (in pretty much the way I suggested above). Yeah they might have some fancy tools like a crane song hedd to add a little tape or valve sound but that's pretty much it. Anything else they do is fixing problems with the mix (this is where the real mystique comes in: be it ms processing, parallel processing or whatever) making it radio ready by knocking off some bottom end.

So my message to you all: it's all about the arrangement and the mix. Get them right and the rest will take care of itself. Add a limiter at the end. Job done.

EQ your tracks methinks.
    post edited by strikinglyhandsome1 - 2010/08/04 15:14:09
    razor
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1557
    Re:EQ Mixing & Mastering Question 2010/08/04 18:08:14 (permalink)
    Cool--thanks all. And yes, I would do the EQ pre-comp.

Stephen Davis

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
    ADK DAW - (out of business 2018)
    Intel i7 4930K CPU
    Core i7 SB-E MOBO
    16 GB DDR3 RAM
    7 TB Storage
    Layla 3G SoundCard (11.5 ms Roundtrip Latency)
    UAD-2 DSP
    WaveLab 8 Pro 64-bit 
    Sound Forge 10 Pro
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1