Helpful ReplyEQ for MIDI?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/22 02:53:27 (permalink)
Well I do use MIDI events to control EQ response on the synth that I use. It definitely does work for me. 

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/22 07:58:41 (permalink)
mwmcbroom
dubdisciple
 I've been bouncing my MIDI tracks to audio so I can apply the VSTs to individual tracks. Early on, when trying to apply a VST to, say TTS-1, I didn't really care for the way the sound got applied to all my MIDI tracks. About the only effect I found that sorta worked was reverb, but then this is an effect that's available individually with the MIDI tracks, and I prefer to apply it on an individual basis.

You don't need to do that. You can put the VSTs on the audio output tracks of each instrument. IIRC one instance of TTS-1 can have four instruments with their own audio tracks. I haven't used TTS-1 for a long, long time ( been using Kontakt ) but could I remember all wrong...

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/23 20:44:01 (permalink)
randyman
@chris.r  sysex is always EXCLUSIVE to sound module (vst, etc.) it is being sent to... ie, not universal to all.  For the 'most' part MIDI has some common grounds for several types of controls, etc. in the audio/synth/sound module path.

Keep in mind that midi is also used to control lighting consoles and many other things (fog machines, curtain actions, etc.) that run/can be synced to time code.  Lighting that is perfectly timed in studio production of things is nearly 100% controlled by MIDI instruction synced to time code.  MIDI in itself does nothing.  It is only a method of conveying information.

Great clarification randyman. I was using sysex for EQ in my Yamaha MU100R, as posted by promidi in one earlier post. It had a simple EQ for each of the 32 parts (2x MIDI In) plus Master EQ, plus insert effect possibilities if you wanted more, loads of EQing there haha. That was back in the 90-ties.

Since the horse is long dead... I was just in a mood for making a bit of troll-style fun on the subject. The OP was already served with great answers so hopefully nobody was harmed... and fortunately the thread became a great MIDI (vs EQ) knowledge debate so anyone can benefit.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1