Helpful ReplyEQ tracks for kick/snare sample replacement

Author
uncleswede
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
2010/11/17 13:06:09 (permalink)

EQ tracks for kick/snare sample replacement

Hi,

I have a mono track with just kick drum and snare on it (from a live recording where I had limited inputs). I'm not intending to use that track in the final mix, but rather I was hoping that I would be able to clone it, EQ cut the snare out of one instance (as much as poss), similarly EQ cut the kick drum as best I can out of the other instance, then use Audiosnap on each EQ'd track to trigger kick and snare drum sample replacements.

The thing is, the only shelf/bandpass EQs I own don't allow me to get a really sharp cut off at the filter point (i.e. that would, for example, completely cut all frequencies above 400Hz) and I was hoping one of you might know of an'surgical' EQ (ideally freeware; yes, I know I'm mean...) that will do that?

Cheers

---------------------------------------------------------
How to fly - throw yourself at the ground and miss
S8.5PE, i7-920 (XP), 6Gb RAM, Phonic Helix 12, Axiom 61 controller, JM VC3Q and mic, plus more...
VigilantSound
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 474
Re:EQ tracks for kick/snare sample replacement 2010/11/17 13:21:18 (permalink)
try volume autimation instead... watch the video on the cakewalk site about drum replacement with audiosnap you will understand then.....

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:EQ tracks for kick/snare sample replacement 2010/11/17 13:24:12 (permalink)
Vigilant sound is right - the drum replacement video should be of great help.

However, if you have Sonar Producer, you could also use Sonitus EQ and/or the Sonitus Multiband to do surgical work.

For a good free EQ - check out IEQ10 (I forget the site, just google it).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
kevo
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1038
Re:EQ tracks for kick/snare sample replacement 2010/11/17 13:34:50 (permalink)
uncleswede

Hi,

I have a mono track with just kick drum and snare on it (from a live recording where I had limited inputs). I'm not intending to use that track in the final mix, but rather I was hoping that I would be able to clone it, EQ cut the snare out of one instance (as much as poss), similarly EQ cut the kick drum as best I can out of the other instance, then use Audiosnap on each EQ'd track to trigger kick and snare drum sample replacements.

The thing is, the only shelf/bandpass EQs I own don't allow me to get a really sharp cut off at the filter point (i.e. that would, for example, completely cut all frequencies above 400Hz) and I was hoping one of you might know of an'surgical' EQ (ideally freeware; yes, I know I'm mean...) that will do that?

Cheers

If you have a midi Keyboard, you can do the midi yourself.  Probably faster than dinkin with the tracks.

If you do not have a midi keyboard, use a mic and snap your finger or slap your face  :-) along with the instrument you want to replace recorded to a new audio track, and then use that track for the drum replacement.

Guitarman1
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 380
Re:EQ tracks for kick/snare sample replacement 2010/11/17 17:15:57 (permalink)
not sure if this is what you want or not, but if you load up an eq, and change the q value you can get a very narrow notch. then move around to find the snare drum. it will probably cut out some of the other sounds though also . I use this to find what freq. a track is at, example the vocals, toms, snare, it pinpoints it really good.
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:EQ tracks for kick/snare sample replacement 2010/11/17 17:54:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Given the difference in frequency composition between a kick and a snare, the EQ shouldn't have to be that "surgical" to knock down the amplitude of one sound or the other enough that the Threshold slider in AS will let you easily disable the markers you don't want in each case.
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re:EQ tracks for kick/snare sample replacement 2010/11/17 20:34:29 (permalink)
I would recommend another solution instead of EQ because of the overlap.  There is a surprising amount of high-mid in a kick drum.

If the kick and snare are not on top of each other, then manual cuts or volume automation as suggested should be good.

Personally, I am OCD and would probably recut the drum track.
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:EQ tracks for kick/snare sample replacement 2010/11/18 13:37:45 (permalink)
konradhI would recommend another solution instead of EQ because of the overlap. There is a surprising amount of high-mid in a kick drum.

Seemed to work okay for me:

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1