ESATA problem?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2011/06/08 09:07:42 (permalink)

ESATA problem?

I finally bought an ESATA cable to use with some external hard drives.

I was using the drive with both firewire and USB and now I want to clear up those buses on my laptop and use ESATA for the drive.

The ESATA cable plugs in fine. My drive powers up. It never shows up in windows.

I checked my bios and the ESATA power is turned on.

The laptop will not boot past the bios screen with the ESATA connected to the drive.

Win 7 64 bit. Toshiba i7 laptop. Seagate 500GB drive.

Any ideas?

thanks,
mike

9 Replies Related Threads

SCorey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 538
    Re:ESATA problem? 2011/06/08 10:24:36 (permalink)
    The ESATA cable plugs in fine. My drive powers up. It never shows up in windows.

Does it show up in the Bios?

Does the drive have an external power supply as well? Maybe it needs a bit more power than the laptop is providing.

-Steve Corey
    Zuma
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:ESATA problem? 2011/06/08 10:28:44 (permalink)
    My apologies if you've already done this/know this, but did you go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management and format the new drive?
    post edited by Zuma - 2011/06/08 10:30:07

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:ESATA problem? 2011/06/08 10:42:57 (permalink)
    Hi and Thanks.

Drive is two years old. Was using it yesterday and am using it now on USB.

The drive has it's dedicated power supply wall wart.

The bios seems to see the ESATA HDD bus.

ESATA is enabled in bios.

If I try to cold boot the computer with the ESATA drive hooked up the computer will not get pass the screen that says press F2 to enter bios etc.

I I try to hook up the ESATA once Win7 is running the drive will sense it is hooked up and it powers up but it never shows up in Windows.

I unhook the ESATA and hook up the USB and it's fine. I can boot the systems with the extrenal drive on the USB as well.

Maybe I turned off a service or something when I was stripping down the computer for occasional DAW use?

Thanks again.

best regards,
    mike

Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:ESATA problem? 2011/06/08 10:50:46 (permalink)
    Try saving and/or writing down your BIOS settings and then clear the BIOS.  You may even try putting the settings back to default.  Then reboot and see if the drive gets discovered.  Pay close attention to what the SATA and IDE are set for because they sometime re-arrange themselves depending of if you moved the hard drive.  You may also need to think about updating the BIOS.  You can usually find the latest BIOS file at the motherboard maker's wed site. 

Good luck, Mike. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    Zuma
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:ESATA problem? 2011/06/08 10:52:15 (permalink)
    Yup. That's normal. I forget to power off my external USB drive and Windows won't boot until I turn it off.

I would go into disk management and see if the drive is showing up there...
    post edited by Zuma - 2011/06/08 10:54:14

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:ESATA problem? 2011/06/08 12:08:44 (permalink)
    Zuma

Yup. That's normal. I forget to power off my external USB drive and Windows won't boot until I turn it off.

I would go into disk management and see if the drive is showing up there...

same here.  I have had SEVERAL external USB drives in the past which did not do this.  but I recently bought an external 2TB drive for backups, it came with the external case already as a unit (previously I had always bought external cases and hard drives separately and just configured them myself).  I have found that if this new drive is powered on before BIOS that the system will not boot up - it goes thru a cycle of getting to the BIOS and then restarting (I never even see the first BIOS message before it restarts) - every time as long as the drive is on and powered during boot up.

If I turn the power off to that drive then it boots normally.  even if it's cycling over and over at bios when I turn the power off, it goes straight into bios startup like it's supposed to.  I can't turn the power on until after BIOS' POST.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:ESATA problem? 2011/06/08 13:02:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info everyone.

best,
    mike

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:ESATA problem? 2011/06/09 12:09:05 (permalink)
    The ESATA cable plugs in fine. My drive powers up. It never shows up in windows. I checked my bios and the ESATA power is turned on. The laptop will not boot past the bios screen with the ESATA connected to the drive.

Hey Mike,

Sometimes eSATA cables can be flakey (especially cheaper cables)
    The cable can appear to be plugged in properly... while not quite making good connection.
    I've had this issue with a WD Mybook external HD. 

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:ESATA problem? 2011/06/09 15:08:15 (permalink)
    Most likely your problem is that the BIOS is detecting the powered up eSATA drive in the early phase of the boot sequence, and for some reason has decided that it is the boot drive. Since there is no boot system on that drive it hangs. If you can enter the BIOS setup program with the powered up drive connected, you should be able to find out what the BIOS calls it, and remove it from the boot sequence. Your first boot device should be your system hard drive and the eSATA drive should not be in the list at all, if possible, or set as the last device if not.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1