EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up

Author
Vampyros Nucleari
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2009/05/21 20:07:34 (permalink)

EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up

Hi there,

I recently built a new killer PC recording rig running Vista 64 bit and bought an Edirol PCR-300 that came with Sonar. I upgraded to Sonar 6 LE and am now trying to use my other new app, EZ Drummer with the application.

I can play the EZ Drummer no problem, but cannot seem to drag and drop the loops into my midi track in Sonar as I should be able to. I get a "Cannot open or find file" message.

In the Cakewalk Plug-n Manager under VST instruments, only Drop Zone and Triangle II show up as registered plugins. Those came free with the Sonar disk I got with the PCR. I cannot seem to get Sonar to recognize the EZ Drummer as a VST instrument.

Is this one of those cases where I have to run Sonar as an Administrator to get the plugin recognized? Do I have to set up the midi track a particular way, ie: outputs, etc?

Any help on configuring Ez Drummer would be great. I have scoured the net and this forum, but can't seem oto find my particular issue. Any EZ Drummer experts here?

13 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/21 20:17:06 (permalink)
    where did you install the ez drummer vst?

if it's not in on the default path it wouldn't be found. From what I understand your using ez drummer standalone fine right?

to see it in sonar, you could do 1 of 2 things.. try to copy the vst folder into your sonar's vst folder.. that might not work. hence why i said copy instead of move.

OR if you know the location of the ez drummer vst.. just add it as an additional path, along with the cakewalk one. it should be in global options > vst (haven't used LE 6 so I'm gonna assume it's the same)

when you restart sonar after, you get the scanning? hopefully it'll pick it up OR if it doesn't scan on start, you can instigate it to rescan.

from what you wrote you were trying to drag / drop midi from the stand alone version into sonar, if there is also a vst version that you can use within sonar hopefully that'll do the trick. I'm just trying to clarify exactly what it is, if others want to comment also.

Vampyros Nucleari
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/21 20:27:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick reply!

When I installed EZ Drummer it all went into the default folder Program Files (x86)\Toontrack\EZDrummer (if I remember correctly - I'm at work right now).

EZDrummer works fine as a stand alone.

The scan seems to see it, as the path appears in the scan, but for whatever reason, in the Cakewalk Plug-n Manager under VST instruments EZDrummer does not show up as a registerd plugin.

The EZDrummer tutorial shows that you should be able to drag the loop files right out of the EZDrummer Solo app into a midi trackin my sequencer, but I get that error message I mentioned above.

Fog
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/21 20:47:46 (permalink)
    but does it do the same with the vst version of ez drummer. The thing is you need to get sonar to see that plugin.. and hopefully the NONE standalone one will work as they prescribe.

you have brought up the options page for where the paths for vst instruments are? if you add that path to ez drummer within sonar.. or maybe ezdrummer has a very obvious file that is the vst version of the thing.

I mean it doesn't work stand alone, so the next option is to see if it does the same with the vst-i plugin version. stand alone versions are normally just the vst versions with a micro host, so you can select what keyboard / soundcard your using and to deal with the playback.. with the vst version it's not using a microhost, sonar takes over that job.

hopefully you see what I'm getting at and hopefully you can get it to find the vst version within sonar. Anyway it's very late this side of the world , so I better go sleep . I'm sure others will chime in if you have more issues.. or I'll check back tomorrow err later today.. hehe
    post edited by Fog - 2009/05/21 20:57:41
    Vampyros Nucleari
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/25 17:25:45 (permalink)
    Ran Sonar as Administrator, to tray and scan the plugin folders, but still no dice. I still cannot drag the loops into my midi track as I should be able to. The Toontrack folder gets scanned when I startup Sonar, so it is looking in there for the plugin, but it still doesn't appear as a registered plugin either.
    Fog
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/25 20:39:36 (permalink)
    ok.. did you install it to your ez drummer folder and add that to the location of places to scan? also when you installed did you install the VST version.. some things give you the option to or not..e.g. some synths I use will give me the option for vst / rtas / stand alone.

I'm just curious to see if you get the vst version running THEN see if the midi drags / drops as it should. perhaps contact toontrack if your having so much issues.. it should be a case of finding it.. either from sonars own vst folder OR from the toontrack one.. it's normally a DLL file for the plugin..
    Vampyros Nucleari
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/26 17:41:09 (permalink)
    Hey there,

I was brain farting and thought the .dll file was in the Toontrack folder, when it was actually in C:\Program Files(x86)\Cakewalk\VstPlugins

I opened SONAR went to Global>VST Plugins and added the correct path.

I ran the scan, closed and reopened SONAR and now I have it as a Soft Synth. Wicked. I can now open EZDrummer in SONAR, but....

I still can't drag the loops into my midi track. I still get that anoying "Cannot open or find file" message. To top it off, when I do try to drag a loop in, and then get that message, I have to unarm the track before I can play the EZDrummer again! There is no sound until I unarm the track and then try another loop or try playing the same loop again.

Thanks for all your help Fog, I really appreciate it. I'll hammer away at it some more tomorrow, but I gotta get to work now.
    Fog
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/26 20:28:36 (permalink)
    ah your using a 64 bit vista or something? does it install the 32 bit version of it also? you MAY need a bridge (bit bridge) to access that plugin since it's 32 bit?

if you have the 32 bit version of sonar LE installed with that, try the same in the 32 bit version. It could be the issue that it's not liking 32 bit plugin / 64 sonar.. IF thats the case with LE.. I'm being vague as I use PE version..

or maybe you could trial sonar 8.. see if that works as perscribed. the thing with LE , is it's normally OEM with a lot of things.. to get you started.. but doesn't have the full range of things.

try the 32 bit version of LE.. see if that works, maybe it might. thats all I can think of at this time.

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/kb20081217.asp

is the web trial of 8. tricky, I mean I sure some people on the other boards use ez drummer, but with PE / SE etc.. maybe post a msg for ez drummer users there.. is all I could suggest.
    Vampyros Nucleari
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/27 23:49:01 (permalink)
    I'm trying the 32 bit version of SONAR 6 LE now and it's still giving me the same message. I even copied the ezdrummer.dll into the Cakewalk folder for Vst Plugins in the 32 bit version.

Oy, this is frustrating.
    Fog
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/28 14:58:32 (permalink)
    have you spoken to the people who make ez drummer? tricky as I don't own the product.
    Vampyros Nucleari
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2009/05/29 20:04:10 (permalink)
    I got 'er going!

I copied all the Toontrack files into the regular Program Files directory from the x86 one and all is well! Thanks for all your help, Fog!
    RLove79
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2010/01/02 19:48:15 (permalink)
    Vampyros Nucleari

I got 'er going!

I copied all the Toontrack files into the regular Program Files directory from the x86 one and all is well! Thanks for all your help, Fog!

Hello,

I have the exact same problem to the very tee, except when I tried to do what you did, it didn't solve my problem. I went into the VST plug-in global options and have Sonar looking exactly where the program was installed (I have installed and un-installed EzDrummer several times).

This is the VST scan list:
    c:\programfiles\cakewalk\vstplugins
    c:\programfiles (x86)\cakewalk\vstplugins
    c:\programfiles (x86)\toontrack\ezdrummer
    c:\programfiles (x86)\steinberg\vstplugins (why EZ Drummer had me install the driver here, I don't know)

No matter what I try, I can get EZ Drummer to load and I can preview midi files, but when I try to drag them into the track area, I always get this error: "Cannot Find or Open File"

PLEASE someone help me! This is driving me nuts!

Mahtar
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2010/01/04 15:57:10 (permalink)
    Run Sonar as Administrator (a bit annoying but worked for me).
    gpalmer9
    RE: EZ Drummer & Sonar 6 LE set up 2010/02/15 16:54:29 (permalink)
    I am getting the same error when I try to drag and drop---file not found. I loaded the 64 bit patch for EZ drums.  EZ drummer is appearing on the VST scan list.  I am going to call phone support sometime this week if no one has any other suggestions!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1