EZDrummer--first few days

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lightninrick
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
2006/12/11 13:34:40 (permalink)

EZDrummer--first few days

Based in part on comments in this forum, I bought EZDrummer and installed it last week. I have a few comments and a few questions:

1) Comments first: the thing sounds very good out of the box and is very easy to use, and the CPU load is light on my IBM T41 laptop, not a very advanced machine. Because EZDrummer uses MIDI files, it's also very easy to combine with other drum machines playing the same patterns to create a very wide range of drum sounds. (Example: DR-008 with the WizLive kit, compressed heavily, playing in tandem with EZDrummer; very nice big rock sound.) It's also very nice that the drums in the kit show up as separate outputs when EZDrummer is loaded via the Synth Rack--makes it much easier to process kicks, snares, etc. separately. Overall a very solid product that runs well under Sonar. I expect it to add a lot of juice to my drum tracks--the same MIDI file played through both DR-008 and EZD is a lot more interesting and expressive in EZD.

2) Question #1: I bought the SmartLoops Midi loops vol. 2 set, and put the MIDI type 1 (single track) files into the MIDI library for EZDrummer (after looking at how the directory is arranged for EZD). The loops are all showing up, and I can audition them in EZD, but they won't loop properly in EZD--there's a delay of 2-4 beats between every iteration of the SL loops. This is ONLY a problem for auditioning the loops in EZD--they play fine when triggering EZD via a MIDI track in Sonar. I've seen on this forum that people had similar problems with Groove Monkee loops--does updating to EZD v1.3 solve this, is Matt Heath's utility the solution, or what?

3) Question #2: any recommendations on great MIDI loops for EZD? I have the SmartLoops MIDI loops vols. 1 and 2, thinking about Groove Monkee. If I already have Sonar 5 PE, do I have some of the Groove Monkee stuff already (e.g. did Groove Monkee supply the loops for Session Drummer 1? I know Smart loops did Session Drummer 2)? I'm thinking about the Groove Monkee rock and funk sets--whaddaya think? I also have a set of Keyfax MIDI drum loops that are now several years old--it's going to take a lot of work to convert them to be usable by EZD, at least for auditioning within EZD, I think. Any other recommended MIDI drum loop sources?

Thanks and regards, lightninrick

32 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/11 13:52:37 (permalink)
    I've got several of the Groove Monkee sets and they're uniformly great. Although I still create many of my own beats with EZD it's so easy to assemble a great groove with the Groove Monkee loops. I'd include Country to your Rock and Funk list. It covers a lot of very useful patterns and feels. Jazz is also quite nice. Try em, you'll like em.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/11 16:17:53 (permalink)
    2) Question #1: I bought the SmartLoops Midi loops vol. 2 set, and put the MIDI type 1 (single track) files into the MIDI library for EZDrummer (after looking at how the directory is arranged for EZD). The loops are all showing up, and I can audition them in EZD, but they won't loop properly in EZD--there's a delay of 2-4 beats between every iteration of the SL loops. This is ONLY a problem for auditioning the loops in EZD--they play fine when triggering EZD via a MIDI track in Sonar. I've seen on this forum that people had similar problems with Groove Monkee loops--does updating to EZD v1.3 solve this, is Matt Heath's utility the solution, or what?

Keep up with the EZD updates. It's very important. I believe this problem was fixed in 1.3. Keep in mind that you have to Ctrl-L grooves dragged from EZD in Sonar. Most time that will snap the clip to the end of the measure.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Dave Modisette
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/11 16:19:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

I've got several of the Groove Monkee sets and they're uniformly great. Although I still create many of my own beats with EZD it's so easy to assemble a great groove with the Groove Monkee loops. I'd include Country to your Rock and Funk list. It covers a lot of very useful patterns and feels. Jazz is also quite nice. Try em, you'll like em.

I agree Groove Monkee and Smart Loops sets are great buys. I think you should have both because you will pick up nuances in feel between the two.

My music.
    axe
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/11 20:26:59 (permalink)
    Very please with the Groove Monkee loops (Rock and Metal). What I like the most on the Groove Monkee loops are the 8 bar loops. They produce a nice feel.

AXE
    R!Soc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 660
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 08:02:58 (permalink)
    EZD Sounds great, takes forever to load, and won't load unless you open the GUI.
    markheath
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 11:38:59 (permalink)

My utility will fix up the Groove Monkee loops to loop properly in EZD 1.0.3, but Groove Monkee have now released updated versions of their files with this fix already applied, so you don't have to use my utility if you don't want to. To be honest, I think Toontrack need to revert to the old behaviour where it uses the time signature from the loop to calculate the number of measures.

Mark
    greggibson@telia.com
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 11:43:35 (permalink)
    Have you checked out addictive drums, they have a demo out now, sounds good, loads fast, give it a test.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 14:34:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: axe

Very please with the Groove Monkee loops (Rock and Metal). What I like the most on the Groove Monkee loops are the 8 bar loops. They produce a nice feel.

AXE

I'll give a +1 on that. All you electronic drum loop suppliers out there. Four/eight/sixteen bar loops are an attractive commodity. One that this particular guy might find irresistable. <But don't get too fancy with them. Pretend you are playing with a control freak for a band leader. Just some good groovin' pocket playing.>

My music.
    davestoy
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 16:36:37 (permalink)
    Which sequencer are you guys using to play ezdrummer? At times mine won't play through cyclone or TTS. What's up with that?

David

S8PE
    WinXP SP3
    P4 2.66 Dual Core Asus P5LD2
    3 GB Ram
    Radeon X300/X550 series dual video card
    RME Multiface II
    Mackie Onyx 800R Mic PreAmp
    2 internal Glyph Seagate (80GB & 200gb)
    1 external Maxtor 120GB HD (for backup)
    Dynaudio BM5A
    Mick
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1358
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 17:21:03 (permalink)
    I don't think you're making sense here, Dave. I'm sure the sequencer most people are using to play ezdrummer here is SONAR. EZdrummer is a full fledged synth, not a midi synth, and it does not need to be routed through cyclone or TTS or anything else.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something ;)

EDIT: In fact, I'm really confused by your statement that "at times" ezdrummer won't play tthrough cyclone or TTS - does that mean sometimes it does?

Mick
    ORIGINAL: davestoy

Which sequencer are you guys using to play ezdrummer? At times mine won't play through cyclone or TTS. What's up with that?

David

post edited by Mick - 2006/12/12 17:46:03
    corrupted
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2739
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 17:29:57 (permalink)
    Yea, dave confused me too, but I didn't want to respond because I had no idea how to explain that one.

Sonar sends the midi data directly to EZD, and EZD sends back audio streams... just like any soft-synth. Does that make sense? In that aspect, the "interface" is actually EZD itself. You don't need Cyclone or TTS unless you somehow tied them to the samples... but that's not a good idea as far as I can tell.
    lightninrick
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 17:35:16 (permalink)
    I installed the EZD 1.0.3 update, and looping for the SmartLoops MIDI loops is improved, but not quite fixed. There's now a pause of half a beat or so between repetitions of a loop, instead of 2-4 beats. This is certainly better, if not quite "groovy."

I have an inquiry in to Smart loops to see if they've got a fix.

Thanks, lightninrick
    davestoy
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 18:43:07 (permalink)
    Let me explain a little better..........I got EZD to work through the synth once, but I wasn't able to get it to do it again. However, when I last tried to drag the midi files to the track, nothing happened unless I started EZD myself, but then, as you might guess, none of the fills or changes would work. Maybe I don't understand how to use EZD as well as I should. Granted, I haven't had time to get to know the program in-depth like I want, my day job seems to interfere with that. So, I guess I'll have to read the manual a little more closely.
    If you would like to make more comments to where dumb people like me can understand, please do!

(as a side note, I do not use midi or sequencers in my recordings. Just plain ole live instruments.)

David

S8PE
    WinXP SP3
    3 GB Ram
    RME Multiface II
    Dynaudio BM5A
    dstrenz
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1067
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 20:42:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: markheath
    My utility will fix up the Groove Monkee loops to loop properly in EZD 1.0.3, but Groove Monkee have now released updated versions of their files with this fix already applied, so you don't have to use my utility if you don't want to. To be honest, I think Toontrack need to revert to the old behaviour where it uses the time signature from the loop to calculate the number of measures.

Do you know how recently GrooveMonkee updated them? I see this problem too and bought the GrooveMonkee loops on 11/2.

Some of My Stuff
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 20:51:02 (permalink)
    Im thinking on purchasing EZDrummer this weekend....And triggering it from my V-Drums. From what ive been reading, it will be a good addition and i think it will be way better from what im already using, which is SD2 or TTs...

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    dstrenz
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1067
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 21:04:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic
    Im thinking on purchasing EZDrummer this weekend....And triggering it from my V-Drums. From what ive been reading, it will be a good addition and i think it will be way better from what im already using, which is SD2 or TTs...

I still haven't loaded up SD2 yet so I can't give any opinion but ezd sounds enormously better than the TTS.

Some of My Stuff
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 21:04:39 (permalink)
    (as a side note, I do not use midi or sequencers in my recordings. Just plain ole live instruments.)

If you use Sonar you are using a sequencer.
    It has be very hard to stuff those live instruments into the cumputer when ever you play your song.

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/12 21:13:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

If you use Sonar you are using a sequencer.
    It has be very hard to stuff those live instruments into the cumputer when ever you play your song.

Best
    John

Too Funny

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    steveng57
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 02:09:44 (permalink)
    speaking of stuffing instruments into the computer...just bought EZDrummer and love the sounds and the UI. it seems that EZDrummer takes a VERY long time to load. As in 3 to 5 minutes when switching between layouts. Is this just me?
    davestoy
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 06:34:07 (permalink)
    OK, let's try from a different angle: I understand Sonar is a sequencer, what I can't get it to do with EZD is play like it's supposed to. I can manually start EZD from it's gui, but can't start it within Sonar. I have tried many times. I have inserted EZD from ths synth rack, let it load up, choose my sound, dragged it over to the track in Sonar, ctrl-L on the loop, expanded the loop out to where I want it, hit play within Sonar, and the darn thing won't play. It receives no signal from Sonar, like the manual says it should. (the midi light does not flash at the bottom of EZD) Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

David

S8PE
    WinXP SP3
    3 GB Ram
    RME Multiface II
    Dynaudio BM5A
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 06:34:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: steveng57

speaking of stuffing instruments into the computer...just bought EZDrummer and love the sounds and the UI. it seems that EZDrummer takes a VERY long time to load. As in 3 to 5 minutes when switching between layouts. Is this just me?

When loading the drum kits EZ has to "de-compress" the GB's of samples (I think there are like 5GB worth of uncompressed sample with the incuded Pop/Rock & Cocktail kits). Depending on your system it may take longer to load.
    On my E6300 Duo Core it takes about 20-25 seconds to load the Pop/Rock kit. Also, if you are using any sample rate other than 44.1K, EZD has to "re-sample" from 44.1K, on the fly, as it loads. This really adds to the load time as well.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

davestoy
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 06:47:14 (permalink)
    The loading of the samples doesn't take that long, Billy, usually about as you mentioned-20 to 25 seconds. I just cannot get the thing to play like it should. I guess somebody's gonna have to draw me a step by step map of the procedure to use it!

David

S8PE
    WinXP SP3
    3 GB Ram
    RME Multiface II
    Dynaudio BM5A
    Mick
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1358
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 07:46:44 (permalink)
    David - let me ask this. When you insert ezdrummer into a project, and after the samples have loaded, can you play ezdrummer with a midi controller? You should be able to do that without even bothering with the loops. Make sure when you insert the synth, you have it insert a midi track. If you don't do that, you have to manually set a midi track to send it's output to ezdrummer (which is not that difficult to do actually). I have a feeling the problem you are experiencing is caused by the fact that the midi track you are dragging the ezdrummer loops to is not set up to send it's output to ezdrummer. Is that possible?

By the way, like some other synths, if you open a project that already has ezdrummer in it, it will not load the sounds until you open the gui of ezdrummer. Some synths are like this, others are not. It's annoying, but not a huge deal.
    davestoy
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 08:16:25 (permalink)
    I don't have a midi controller, Mick. As I said before, I rarely use any midi. I see now what I have done--I failed to check the insert midi track box when opening EZD. That has solved my problem. Thanks for your help!

(told you I was kinda dumb!)

David

S8PE
    WinXP SP3
    3 GB Ram
    RME Multiface II
    Dynaudio BM5A
    steveng57
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 14:26:35 (permalink)
    going back to the part about EZDrummer load time...on my system at least, right now it is taking an extra-ordinarily long time - like 3 to 5 minutes depending on the kit. My machine isn't brand new dual core, but it is 3.2GHz w/ hyperthreading on. So I take it from what others see, that this is definitly an anomaly and I should look into it further?
    lightninrick
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 14:43:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: steveng57

going back to the part about EZDrummer load time...on my system at least, right now it is taking an extra-ordinarily long time - like 3 to 5 minutes depending on the kit. My machine isn't brand new dual core, but it is 3.2GHz w/ hyperthreading on. So I take it from what others see, that this is definitly an anomaly and I should look into it further?

Yeah, this is definitely an anomaly. My IBM T41 laptop is nowhere near as powerful as your machine, and it takes something like 30 seconds to load the initial 267MB of samples. Possible reasons:

1) Your hard drive runs at a slow speed. But I dunno. I'm on the road right now, and I put all my EZD samples and MIDI files on a 10GB 1.8" hard drive that spins at 4200 RPM and connects to the computer via USB 2. No problems either loading or running.

2) You're short on system RAM. EZD loads about 267 MB of samples to start on my machine. No problem with 1GB system RAM. But Windows XP SP2 wants over 512MB of RAM for itself, even before you load an application. If I was running this machine on 512MB RAM, I'm sure that Windows would be paging frantically to keep up with everything, and paging takes a lot of time. So how much RAM do you have? RAM is pretty cheap now...

Regards, lightninrick
    steveng57
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 14:50:37 (permalink)
    thanks lightnin,

I have a pretty fast drive and 2G RAM, so at least if they are in propper working order, it should be ok. But there is a lot of software on the beast now, and something could have gone wonky in either of those areas. I will go into diagnostics mode then tonight and report back.

Thanks for the perf confirmation and the tips.
    Steve
    lightninrick
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 14:52:05 (permalink)
    FYI, based in part on recommendations here, I bought the Groove Monkees rock and country MIDI loops (combined) set.

They loop very nicely in EZD, and they're good beats, even inspiring. I also like the way they're organized--they're named so that you see a particular groove with all its related variations and fills, right there. Makes it much easier to construct a track once you've selected the basic groove.

The whole package--EZD plus the MIDI files--gives you a lot of power and flexibility. Not to mention that auditioning the MIDI files right in the drum machine is a big improvement to workflow.

Regards, lightninrick
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: EZDrummer--first few days 2006/12/13 15:24:00 (permalink)
    EZD takes about a minute to load on my machine.
    WinXP SP2
    AMD 1.8 (Barton)
    1.5gb Ram
    60gb ATA HD
    nForce 2 Chipset

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1