• Total Posts : 4062
2008/07/29 16:28:33 (permalink)

EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback

Basics on my Up and Running:

Seems to require 3 tracks:
1) A MIDI track without OUT to S2
2) A Synth track with IN on EZplayer
3) A Synth track with IN on S2

(Of course S2 and EZPP must 'exist' in the Synth Rack)

Libraries from the MIDI directory of Disk 1: (to Manually Add On)
"Superior Libraries": N.Y. Avatar: This MIDI library seems similar in size compared to EZDrummers (EZD) Pop/Rock Library
"EZ Player Pro MIDI (Library): Contains (so called) EZX Libraries that seem derived from 'bigger' EZX libraries: "Claustrophobic", "Twisted", "Cocktail", and "Pop Rock"
But I don't recognize them as the same MIDI's. Yet they seem excellent building blocks ... along with EZDrummer's 'bigger' Pop/Rock Library

Finally Toontrack web site has free MIDI Libraries like: "Jacker Pack" ... these seem as 'demos' which are interesting but probably not vital (for my stuff).

I just finished upgrading about 21 modest EZDrummer multi-tracks to Superior 2 with little hitch.
The S2 engine is much more authentic sounding than EZD

I'd click the same note in Piano View and get several (12?) different sounds for the same snare hit (each time I re-clicked the mouse).
Now I look forward to actually using EZPP to create better routines (with just a mouse).

S7 promptly Crashes when I interrupt RAM loading of Superior Samples. I'm sure you can make S7 crash, also by getting impatient while RAM loads in Avatar or Pop/Rock Samples.
A final note to us noobs:
1) The 20 GBytes of drum samples are not the Superior Libary Avatar MIDI samples nor the EZPP MIDI samples: those 20 GBytes are memory intensive samples that selectively load depending on mics, Xdrums, etc.
2) I'm not about to load 2 or more instances of Superior and experiment with S7 crashes.
3) EZPP is able to afford experimentation with many layers of drums anyway, as its own little drum-DAW
4) For EZPP to start actually working (the way I've experimented), requires the EZPP MIDI track to be selected (once) ... somehow that turns on the player

Thank you to all, especially Dave and Steve, for encouraging us with S2 and EZPP.

I welcome any other feedback, comments, rebukes, etc.

EZPP is so much easier than EZDrummer to sequence and organize drum MIDIs, I frankly believe Toontrack may drop EZDrummer (as they did with DKFH) as more and more customers use EZPP alone.
I for one am going to try to unistall EZD (while somehow keeping the Pop/Rock EZXs it contains.)

post edited by Philip - 2008/07/29 18:48:57

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

23 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/07/30 09:09:45 (permalink)
    I frankly believe Toontrack may drop EZDrummer
    I don't see this happening. Too strong a product and it's a gateway into SUPERIOR.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/07/30 10:27:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

I don't see this happening. Too strong a product and it's a gateway into SUPERIOR.

EZD is truly an awesome breakthrough for ‘would-be-drummers’ and drummers alike and, indeed, was my gateway into Superior 2.0.
    I just don't know how I got along with anything less than EZPlayer, until now.

Also, I've had a chance to listen to all 21 of my EZDrummer-to-Superior upgrades (21 songs of mine that I 'upgraded' directly from EZD to S2).

Though biased by my financial investment in S2 and EZPP I currently conclude:
    The S2 'Engine' (with Sound Fonts/Samples) is 'superior' to my ears.
    My 21 home songs sound so-oo much more authentic and professional, to my ears. I'd quantify 10-15% better sounding than EZD and 20% better than SD2.
    I may confidently state that S2 'rocks my socks' in all 21 pieces.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Feedback:
    S2 Hi-Hats sound significantly 'differently' than Session Drummer 2 Hi-Hats. (I believe, someone had commented on this before.)
    Maybe I'm used to SD2's excellent Hi-Hat sounds and have become too addicted toward that sound, especially in some of the 'swing' loops.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/07/30 12:42:34 (permalink)

I 100% agree with Mod Bod. EZD is ToonTracks beginner-intermediate drum sampler solution in both features & price. S2.0 is Toontracks advanced drum sampler solutuion with a price tag to match. I am an EZD user and could very easily get the S2.0 upgrade. But EZD does everything I need and why waste hard earned money on features I don't need and add more work to my already streamlined workflow. Beleive it or not there are many of us that don't need all the bells and whistles to make great drum tracks. In fact, I can get some pretty excellent results just using some of my Drums on Demand loop libraries.

Although, I would not be surprised if ToonTracks reduced the price of EZD somewhat so that it is under $100 street to increase market share. Supposedly TT will be releasing a few new EZX's in the coming months.

post edited by Billy Buck - 2008/07/30 12:43:49

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Philip
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/07/30 14:49:21 (permalink)
    Any EZX's you heartily recommend (i.e., for your pieces)?

Philip  

nfg182
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/07/30 16:41:38 (permalink)
    they have ajazz EX coming soon way

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/07/31 17:33:40 (permalink)
    I've had Superior for three weeks now and have been using it strictly as a drum module -- I hadn't even installed EZPlayer or checked out the MIDI library. Your post prompted me to install it and see if it might be useful. In short, it really wasn't, at least no so far.

I was left underwhelmed by the MIDI library, not because it wasn't extensive or well-done, but mostly because I just can't figure out what to do with canned MIDI patterns.

What do you do with them, exactly? String them together and call that your drum track? Am I wasting my time hand-crafting my drum tracks, missing out on a valuable time-saving technique?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/07/31 20:27:13 (permalink)
    I was left underwhelmed by the MIDI library, not because it wasn't extensive or well-done, but mostly because I just can't figure out what to do with canned MIDI patterns.

What do you do with them, exactly? String them together and call that your drum track? Am I wasting my time hand-crafting my drum tracks, missing out on a valuable time-saving technique?

I pick midi patterns that are close to what I want, and yeah, string them together. By no means is that the finished product.
    I still do lots of editing for tags, fills etc.
    Speaking as someone who (in the past) has programmed hundreds of drum tracks via a midi keyboard,
    I will never do it again. The abundance of great quality drum midi files has made it a lot easier and the result is much better sounding.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/07/31 22:13:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Philip

Nashville is a must have.

My music.
    JohnoL
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 241
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/01 11:13:23 (permalink)

Dave
    2 questions.
    Does Nashville work with Superior?

Does Superior still retain the "EZ" factor or is there a big learning curve to just get started?

sada10
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/01 11:24:58 (permalink)

ModBod, I have seen several of your post on EZ and you seem like you are really versed on this product-I am strongly considering getting this as I need more realistic drum sounds for the gospal music that I write. I just wanted to clarify that I could utilized the existing canned patterns to lay down a foundation then enhance them per using EZ as a drum synth correct?

X1 Producer;PreSonus Firepod;EVGA: AMD Phenom IIX4 965;DDR3;Win 7 64 CoolWaters- The blood is in the music, but the music is in the water-just drink it; it's yours!
    Philip
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/01 14:25:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sada10

ModBod, I have seen several of your post on EZ and you seem like you are really versed on this product-I am strongly considering getting this as I need more realistic drum sounds for the gospal music that I write. I just wanted to clarify that I could utilized the existing canned patterns to lay down a foundation then enhance them per using EZ as a drum synth correct?

Superior Drummer has more authentic drum sounds than EZD (to my ears); i.e., the larger sample library is responsible no doubt.

Notwithstanding, the EZDrummer EZX Module entitled Pop/Rock sounds astonishingly realistic on Superior 2.0 (to my ears) ... much more realistic than N.Y. Avatar S2's native EZX library to my ears.
    This is interesting.

Also interesting is the irony that the Avatar MIDI samples available in EZPlayer are less convincing to my ears than the MIDI samples entitled "Pop/Rock" (from EZDrummer): Ouch!

Another interesting problem I'm having with Superior 2: The Hihats. Session Drummer 2.0's Hihats in the Swing routines I simply cannot duplicate in Superior 2. No matter which hihats I choose, which Superior settings (Attack, Velocity, etc.) I use, which library I use (i.e., Avatar or Pop/Rock) ... I can't get the hihats to resonnate sweetly in Superior 2. Albeit I haven't tried the Nashville EZX Library.
    Hence, I'm still using Session Drummer 2's engine for many hihat-swing routines.

Currently Superior 2.0 is about 2/3rds of my drum-life-blood. EZDrummer is no longer in my synth vocabulary.

Bitflipper's question is valid:

Because Bitflipper's music is so melodically advanced, symphonic, and 'irreducibly complex'; I see his point.
    The hyper-spontaneity of ‘canned’ MIDI sequences may antagonize Bitflipper’s rich eclectic pieces.

Still, Bitflipper: You can drag some of your own Superior MIDI drum sequences into EZPP’s sequencer and tighten them up there, add drum-notes easily, and get a different perspective on them, methinks.

Peradventure, the same might be said of Session Drummer’s MIDI segments. Today I dragged some of Session Drummer’s MIDI segments into EZPP’s sequencer-browser.

Because the SD2 and Superior 2 Map-Wrap are similar (though not exact) I was able to quickly hear how the same MIDI track sounds in SD2 vs. Superior 2.

What’s not documented (IIRC) is: You must select the MIDI track (SD2 or Superior 2) to hear it via EZPP.

Philip  

Dave Modisette
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/01 16:18:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sada10

I've responded to your other post and yes, EZdrummer is a good fit for you.

My music.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/01 16:23:41 (permalink)
    Also interesting is the irony that the Avatar MIDI samples available in EZPlayer are less convincing to my ears than the MIDI samples entitled "Pop/Rock" (from EZDrummer): Ouch!
    I can see a tendency to try and not recreate the same grooves in the different EZXs and EZPP. However, I don't think that having duplication is a bad thing when dealing with different midi artists. Nir Z has a definite Jazz influence in his grooves. Even his Rock grooves have a bounce to them, IMHO. I like 'em but they are definitely different.

My music.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/03 05:03:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper

I've had Superior for three weeks now and have been using it strictly as a drum module -- I hadn't even installed EZPlayer or checked out the MIDI library. Your post prompted me to install it and see if it might be useful. In short, it really wasn't, at least no so far.

EZPlayer:

Although I've never been tempted down the EZD/Superior route this kinda intrigued me, a midi drum clip librarian and pre-arranger without any bloat.

So I logged on to TT's site set me up an account and d/loaded the free version. And on it's own this lil' version of a complete software pearl has blown me away.

Instant audition of any clip, commercial or home rolled, mapped out through RDK, Battery, GM or whatever you fancy. Drag out a song structure (for further tweaking, or hand-crafting... ) in seconds. This is a real little gem and I'm still talking the free version here, this is the most useful software tool I've installed fer ages, bar anything.

Bear in mind that these days you can play out billions of quality samples through quite a number of competing drum modules this little cutie is pretty much unique, 100% usable and a really valued addition to the writing process.

How did I miss it until now?

Props to TT this is THE real breakthrough app. IMO of course...
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2008/08/03 05:48:07

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jonbouy
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/03 05:17:48 (permalink)

I can see a tendency to try and not recreate the same grooves in the different EZXs and EZPP. However, I don't think that having duplication is a bad thing when dealing with different midi artists. Nir Z has a definite Jazz influence in his grooves. Even his Rock grooves have a bounce to them, IMHO. I like 'em but they are definitely different.

+1

Although I'm not familiar with the artist's Dave's referring to here or any of the EZ content, even the most fundamental 42TF beat will have a different feel when played by a 'different drummer'. Gather (or make) the clips of those players you like the best, those selections/choices are a big part of the process that ends up in making your 'own' style surely.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2008/08/03 05:45:55

Philip
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/03 17:08:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

+1

Although I'm not familiar with the artist's Dave's referring to here or any of the EZ content, even the most fundamental 42TF beat will have a different feel when played by a 'different drummer'. Gather (or make) the clips of those players you like the best, those selections/choices are a big part of the process that ends up in making your 'own' style surely.

I agree. I've been using Nir Z's (Avatar MIDIs) more and more for jazz-like swings now (which are merely 'different' than "Pop/Rock" routines). I guess I was used to EZD "Pop/Rock" and Session Drummer Swings as starting points.

Hopefully 'my style' will become eclectic enough to accept the N.Y. Avatar Sampling Library as a viable for sampling Library for some of my novice pieces.
    Instant audition of any clip, commercial or home rolled, mapped out through RDK, Battery, GM or whatever you fancy. Drag out a song structure (for further tweaking, or hand-crafting... ) in seconds. This is a real little gem and I'm still talking the free version here, this is the most useful software tool I've installed fer ages, bar anything.

That's pretty bold, Jon!
    The EZP MIDI sampler arranger also seems to have helped me focus on velocity and arrangement somewhat first ... then go to S7 piano view with more boldness to change drum-notes. E.g., I've discovered sweet HiHat notes in EZD's Pop/Rock module that correspond to C10 and Db10 (similar to the chiming Hat beats in the Train beats of Session Drummer).
    post edited by Philip - 2008/08/03 17:48:57

Philip  

Dave Modisette
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/03 19:40:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JohnoL

Dave
    2 questions.
    Does Nashville work with Superior?

Does Superior still retain the "EZ" factor or is there a big learning curve to just get started?

Yes, Nashville works in SUPERIOR 2. And the EZ factor is present in the SUP 2 interface. I learned the progran sans manual. It's very intuitive and you can install it and run and gun right out of the box. Sure, digging in and learning the fine points will be your final course of action but I feel like you will be producing music fairly quickly. Until you get really into it, there are plenty of presets to get you going quickly.

My music.
    Philip
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/04 08:56:46 (permalink)
    IMHO, Superior 2 is 'almost' as easy as EZDrummer ... But S2 has its own drum bus option(s) and Xdrums option(s) ... which I myself am not needful of ... at my MIDI sequencing stage.

I'm curious if anyone regularly uses the S2 drum busses and/or Xdrums (I think they're called)

Philip  

bitflipper
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/04 13:30:07 (permalink)
    I use just one bus, in order to apply effects to and adjust levels for all the toms together.

It also might be useful to combine hats and overheads on a bus for mixing, as well as the three snare mics and three kick sources.

It seems highly unlikely, though, that I'll ever need to use all 16 busses! I wish there was a way to hide individual mixer channels and busses, as you can with SONAR's console view.

My Stuff
    Philip
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/04 16:07:02 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave, I can see where it would be useful to combine hats and overheads as well as snare mics, etc. on a bus ... just a tad confusing for my sub-genius level.

I just discovered tweaking stuff like Presets for Drum-Kits, Layer limits, etc. and Mixer (mic) Presets to help get started with EQ, Transients, Gate, Compressor, etc..

I'm starting to delve into it.

Philip  

bitflipper
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/04 16:28:51 (permalink)
    The most common mod I've been doing is to use the envelope adjustment to shorten the decay on toms and kick. When soloed, the toms sound great. But in a mix, they're a little too boomy and flappy for my taste. Shortening the decay time to about 700-800ms really tightens up the mix.

My Stuff
    Jonbouy
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/08/04 18:49:45 (permalink)

That's pretty bold, Jon!

I meant it!

It is an excellent little tool, props to TT for releasing it. It suits my working methods to a tee.

The only dilemma I have now is I'm wondering if the 'pro' version has the same succinct beauty that the free version has... £25 tells me it's gotta be worth taking the risk.

I love it, in fact I've done little else but organise all my clips and play out lots of drum tracks for the last week...

My partner must think I'm applying some advanced 'Chinese torture' method on her presently...

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    RE: EZplayer Pro 1.0.1 and Superior Drummer 2.0.1 Feedback 2008/09/15 14:19:57 (permalink)
    Is anyone else having problems with EZPlayer Pro locking up? If I audition the same loops in EZDrummer I have no problems. When I go back to EZPP it will lock up as I listen to the midi loops. I have run both upgrades from Toon EZPP 1.0.1 and Superior 2.0.1. I just installed so I have not run Superior on any existing tracks to see if its just a problem when EZPP is running.
    Any thoughts?
    TIA,
    Tom

Sonar 7PE
    Win XP

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1