Easy way to toggle through Arpeggiator presets?

Author
jimack
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1814
2007/08/15 08:07:10 (permalink)

Easy way to toggle through Arpeggiator presets?

Is there an easy way to toggle throught the arpeggiator presets in P5?

I often like to browse these presets for ideas, but it's a major pita to "load preset - rhythms - keyboard - synth riffs - riff01", etc, etc...

Anybody have any shortcuts for this?

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc

4 Replies Related Threads

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Easy way to toggle through Arpeggiator presets? 2007/08/16 14:43:36 (permalink)
    I'd like to know as well. I don't use the arp patterns very often, primarily for this very reason. It takes forever to go through them and I always seem to find one that's close to what I"m looking for, but not quite there. I think that this is one area that could use some improvement in a future version of P5. Here's what I'd like to see:

1) some sort of pattern preview to expedite pattern searches;
    2) MIDI note-based patterns that appear in the PRV when you select them (this could address my first request). In other words, you select a pattern and the pattern appears in the PRV with the root at C4, for example. You can then highlight the pattern and drag to the desired root note position. The pattern's almost there, but you have a Dsus chord in your song and the pattern is playing over a straight D triad - no problem, just grab the F# and drag it up a half-step. Adjust the gate - see the note lengths change, etc.; and
    3) the ability to freely edit and save the newly created patterns.

In other words, the arp patterns would simply be a bunch of starting points that are designed to be easily customized. It seems to me that this would not be difficult to implement. Maybe this can already be done and I'm just too dumb to figure it out?

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Easy way to toggle through Arpeggiator presets? 2007/08/16 15:07:30 (permalink)
    Maybe this can already be done ... ?
    It can, but it takes considerably longer. By no measure is this a fluid process. It takes a special two-track routing to 'print' an arpeggiator to a pattern. A pattern or live input inhabits the first track; the results are recorded in the second.

Adjustments are largely manual. Then it's a 2- or 3-step process to save it back again to an .arp preset. That procedure is pretty much how I did the presets and illustrations for the Alesion sets.

As for the quick preview ... I'm afraid that all I have for that is a standard procedure. I don't use the pre-fab arpeggiator presets much, as they're rather narrow in application. But when I build something custom (or happen to find a preset that I'll use), I drag it to a top-level 'favorites' folder under P5's Arpeggiator folder. That way, it's "Load preset ...", and I'm right there.
    LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: Easy way to toggle through Arpeggiator presets? 2007/08/16 16:15:53 (permalink)
    This is a major issue as far as workflow is concerned, IMO, and I think it really is crucial this be addressed in the next P5 "feature rich" update. The arp is indeed quite useful, but giving it smoother browsing and better "print to track" fucntionality would make it a real selling point. As it is now its almost6 useless to me.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    HiThere
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    RE: Easy way to toggle through Arpeggiator presets? 2007/08/17 04:16:40 (permalink)
    Thank you for raising this issue, Jimack - it is indeed a much needed improvement to P5. Cake did a good job creating easier "next instrument" selection for Dimension and PSYN 2 in the P5 2.5 update. If we can have something like that for Arps, please!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1