Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise

Author
Anastasis
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
2009/03/22 16:46:01 (permalink)

Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise

Hi everyone. Im new here and to cakewalk. This is probably a very n00bish question to ask and may have come up before.

I'm basically just trying to get some sound out of my electric guitar on the audio bar. If echo is off I hear nothing from my speakers. But if I push echo on, it keeps reverberating until it reaches white noise.

Either way, I can't hear my guitar.

I'm using a laptop with RealTek sound card.

I've tried an analog 1/4 to 1/8 input through my mic jack and a USB input through my USB 1/4 jack connection. The results are the same either way.

Any thoughts? It would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting flustered.

18 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 18:19:05 (permalink)
    Are your lap top speakers on maybe causing feedback? Just a guess, as I have no other idea.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    ascottdesign
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 957
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 18:38:00 (permalink)
    The problem is probably your soundcard. Realtec is far from ideal for recording music.
    Tell us what your equipment spec is (computer RAM - operating systems etc) and someone will be along soon to sort you out.
    Its really frustrating when starting out as there'squite a steep learnig curve, however it is well worth it to get up and running.
    Anastasis
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:05:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm not pulling my hair out yet, but it could get there. And to be honest with you, although its embarressing to admit, could it really be something as stupid as turning down the mic volume?

The problem is that I get the same effect on either USB or analog 1/4 mic imput. I get no sound at all unless it's on echo and then it starts feeding back into itself until it goes to white noise.

Ok, then. S0 my whining session is over. I'll get you a specs list of my hardware. Software is Windows XP. Give me a sec.

And Im fully prepared for the learning curve ahead. I considered this when buying the software. And I certainly don't mind being a student and mastering the software. I just have this ambient soundscapish album in my head that I have to give birth to before it kills me. It's been itching for about 3 years now and I need a way to produce it. But I have no interest in being famous or a 'star' I just want to get out some experimental stuff and keep it under the radar or at least somewhat campy. Thanks.
    post edited by Anastasis - 2009/03/22 20:15:48
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:09:33 (permalink)
    The issue is this. The basic sound card does not have the capability to monitor the sound without mixing the existing tracks with the currently being recorded track. So the Echo button helps you to hear the track so you can monitor while recording. The downside is you get an echo due to the latency introduced. What you need to do is to add a mixer or an audio interface into the equation and then monitor from there, and not use the echo button.

Another thing that might help is to download a driver called ASIO4All it will give faster processing time and let you lower latency.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Anastasis
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:13:41 (permalink)
    Well I was using an ASIO setting, but when I went through the tutorial video the guy said that if I was using the internal soundcard to set it to MME. So I set it to MME and it did the same thing.

So a mixer eh?

Another question, I dont have any midi instruments installed, but a midi bar comes up with the audio bar, could this have some ill effect?

SPEC: INTEL CELERON 900 MHZ
    1 GB RAM
    Realtek HD

(Yeah I know it's an old piece of junk. but thats what i got)
    post edited by Anastasis - 2009/03/22 20:26:05
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:26:00 (permalink)
    Realtec is not a good card to use for MC4... my Dell has a realtec and it plays the MP3's just fine.... but NOWAY would I try to use it for MC4.... I use Saffire.

Absolute Perfection.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Anastasis
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:33:01 (permalink)
    well i can hear my guitar through the analog mic jack. but its not regestering on the audio bar. it doesn't register until i hit echo then it goes nuts.
    Anastasis
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:39:17 (permalink)
    You guys are gonna think this is real hilarious. I forgot to turn the volume up in the audio bar!

DOH! LOL!

It's working quite nicely now. Thank you.

Now how's that for my first noob post, eh?
    post edited by Anastasis - 2009/03/22 20:46:40
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:43:41 (permalink)
    Try starting here:
    Setting up Windows Volume Control
    The default setup will feed the sound from Input Echo back to your input, causing it to feed back internally.
    Once this is done, try just arming the track for recording. Does the meter move? Can you hear sound?
    You may need to select your mic or line in input to monitor it from the Windows Playback control.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Anastasis
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:45:14 (permalink)
    Ok this makes a lot of sense and i finally understand what the guy on the video was saying. I had my Audio Input set to Stereo Mix. This is a no no, since I must set it to one mono analog input. I can hear it fine now and its not feeding back into itself, but I have to set it on Mic and not Stereo.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:45:43 (permalink)
    No.... that's par for the course.... I love the ones that forget to plug something in and then wonder why it's not working....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/22 20:51:45

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 20:50:49 (permalink)
    On a system like your suing a built in card, a simple upgrade is to get a small behringer 802 xenyx mixer it will take 50% of the fight out of the process. Around $60 new. Or as Guitarhacker like to point out a full on recording interface like his saffire is around $350 and will take another 40% out of the issue. Nothing is 100% due to our own lame messes. LOL.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Anastasis
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 21:13:00 (permalink)
    No, I think I'll take that advise into consideration. I hadn''t thought about a mixer at the time, but yeah, I can see that's probably going to be a necessity to get some descent sound quality.

Thanks dudes. And don't worry, I have a lot more stupid questions where that came from!
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 22:57:25 (permalink)
    And since you described your computer as an old piece of junk, 900 MHz, and a Celeron, you're above the minimums, but below the recommended.
    If this Magnum Opus of yours has been waiting years to get out, save everything you create to disk, and start saving up for a newer, faster computer and audio interface designed for recording. You wouldn't want your first 13 compositions to disapper into the haze when the hard drive croaks.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Anastasis
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/22 23:35:25 (permalink)
    You guys are giving me some good ideas. I think I could just build a descent recording computer and be done with it. But in the mean time, I think I'll just start learning the program. It's going to take me 6 months to learn this at least and probably longer. But Im glad I found these forums. I'll just listen in and let you guys show me how it's done. Anything worth doing is worth doing badly, but I'd rather do it right, and the only way I'm ever going to be able to do it right is to do it myself.
    post edited by Anastasis - 2009/03/22 23:41:46
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/23 00:54:10 (permalink)
    Well, you certainly have all of the right attitudes needed, you realize the learning curve is there and intend on defeating it, you anticipate a time frame of months instead of demanding results in minutes, and you intend on learning it the right way, and doing it yourself...outstanding.
    Please stop by any time you have a question, and never assume it is a neewbie, dumb question, because every one of us here have gone through the steps you are taking at one time, and we all understand your situation. I have only one problem with your attitude and disposittion. You said " But I have no interest in being famous or a 'star' ". That is not your choice. Once your "ambient soundscapish album" is extracted from your head, and then played for others, and published on soundclick or myspace or any of the other places it will eventually show up, your fame and stardom will be immeadiate and meteoric in its advance on the web-waves. Of course, you will at that time forget about all of us low lifes who helped you out way back when, but we are accustomed to that abuse.
    Oh, I forgot to say, welcome to the forum
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Anastasis
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/23 02:44:26 (permalink)
    Well that is very kind of you gc.

Im going for more of a prorated appreciation though. This is so that people can just listen to the music and be happy and I won't have to ever worry about touring or signing autographs or any of that nonsense.

And I will never forget anyone who helped me along the path. When i am awarded the dirt record award for selling 1000 albums, I will include a formal thanks to all the experts who helped me gain county wide noteriety. Someday I might be a coffeshop hero.
    post edited by Anastasis - 2009/03/23 02:51:44
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Echo off = No sound Echo on = White Noise 2009/03/23 07:54:07 (permalink)
    a full on recording interface like his saffire is around $350

man did I get a deal....!!! or took.... I paid $290 +/- and now the same saffire sells for $250 +/-

But it's worth $350 for sure....

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1