Echo while recording vocals..

Author
Nick Di
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2010/04/03 11:39:53 (permalink)

Echo while recording vocals..

Sorry for this basic question, but I think I may have a problem.

With a Quad core machine running Win 7 Pro and 8 gigs of memory and only Sonar 8.5 with all updates running fine, what is the optimal sample rate for my Gina G3 card to record vocals? I've tried many different settings and I still have the below problem.

I have a song with 15 tracks of audio (no midi) instruments/drum/BU vox, all playing back simultaneaously while I record the vocals.

All is fine until I tried to hear a bit of reverb and EQ in my headphone WHILE recording my vocals. Then, I get a delay no matter where I set the sample rate in the Gina G3 console. If I turn off the effects and hear myself dry, all is ok.

I figure I'm missing something very basic here and thought someone might know.

Thanks.

4 Replies Related Threads

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Echo while recording vocals.. 2010/04/03 11:50:01 (permalink)
    Some plug-ins do introduce a delay, making them impractical to have on during live recordings.  For instance if you use the old version of the free S.I.R reverb, it has a delay which is can't be compensated for with live recording.  I sometimes use S.I.R., but only during the final mixing stage.

I know some people set up hardware reverbs to have a temporary effect available to singers, since many singers don't relax and let loose enough without hearing a reverb in their cans.

rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Echo while recording vocals.. 2010/04/03 12:32:20 (permalink)
    For recording vocals, its best to use hardware effects for monitoring and your route them so it doesnt get printed into sonar. Like a headphone/amp mixer routed to a reverb unit. Direct monitoring is the best.

And yes, some software effetcs introduce latency. Like perfect space and some others. Those plugins are meant for mixing and not recording.
    So lower your latency way under 5ms and dont use effects that have built in buffers, like perfect space and youll be able to hear yourself without echo's/delays
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    jshep0102
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Echo while recording vocals.. 2010/04/03 12:52:09 (permalink)
    I use the cakewalk fxverb in Sonar to track. I don't feel a lag with it at all. HTH

SHEP-ASRock Z97 Pro4 - i7 4790K 4.0ghz - 16 GB DDR3 - Windows 10 Home - Apollo Twin USB Duo - UAD2 Duo - Digimax FS - Focal CMS50 - Raven MTi2 - Slate VMS 1 - Bluebird - Yamaha MOXF8 - Axe Fx Ultra - SPLAT 2017.2
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Echo while recording vocals.. 2010/04/03 13:40:40 (permalink)
    jshep 0102

I use the cakewalk fxreverb in Sonar to track. I don't feel a lag with it at all. HTH

That reverb doesn't have any hidden buffers. Perfect space is a much powerful plugin. Most plugins wont cause a lag when you have your latency set under 5ms. Only the ones that are targeted for mixing and mastering can have an effect on latency.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1