Edirol UA-25 EX Popping Noise Probelm Help!!!!!

Author
Eman0010
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2010/02/09 21:15:37 (permalink)

Edirol UA-25 EX Popping Noise Probelm Help!!!!!

Hi there to all Cakewalk people.

Why does my Edirol ua-25 EX makes a popping noise? It makes a popping noise while I'm not doing any thing and also while I'm playing audio. I play some songs in windows media player and it pops. I use Sonar Home Studio XL 6.2.2 and it pops. I use Propellerhead Reason 4.0.1 and it pops. 

I bought this audio interface used from a music retail, so it's not brand new but it's only a year and a half old since it's 2008 model and comes with Sonar LE 6. I download the latest drive and installed it but still makes a popping noise. I tried adjusting the buffer size in Sonar, Reason and the Ua-25 EX and nothing change. I have my Sonar Home Studio in Asio mode and I have my Reason 4 in Asio mode. I even tried changing the I/O Buffer Size (KB) in Sonar Home Studio 6 XL and nothing change. I even restarted the computer several times and still noting change. still makes a popping noise though my speakers. I plug in my head phones into the interface and I can hear a popping noise too. so it's diffenilty not my speakers or head phones. 

I even adjust all of the switches on the back of the interface from sample rate to Advance mode to Standard mode. But what I have notice when I switch off the Advance driver mode and go into standard USB Audio mode it doesn't making any popping noise weird umm. But in standard mode I cant use the Midi I/O or asio. Why does it pop while I'm playing music with windows media player. I even have the but in sound card on my computer disabled. The advance driver is installed properly, it was digitally signed and is the latest driver. So can someone help fix this problem, is my interface defected?

My setup is a Toshiba Satellite L305D, 3GB Ram, AMD Athlon x2 Dual-Core QL-62 2.00 Ghz, Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio XL 6.2.2, Propellerhead Reason 4.0.1, Edirol UA-25 EX, Yamaha KX 8.

Emmanuel

12 Replies Related Threads

Eman0010
    N/A 2010/02/15 00:12:54 (permalink)
    post edited by Eman0010 - 2010/02/15 11:56:37
    Gilly78
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:N/A 2010/02/16 08:56:43 (permalink)
    Are the pops random?  Does it happen when your CPU kicks in for some background task?

Could be electrical interference from something... A fridge / freezer kicking in for example can cause problems for people.

I have a satellite signal piped to my upstairs TV via a wireless sender.  Picture turns to mush somewhere between half 7 and 8 am on a weekday.  It's next door cooking their breakfast in a microwave!!!

My music and some guitar lessons here:

www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

SSE8.5, Core i5 760 Quad Core, 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600, Win 7 64BIT, Asus P7P55D PRO Mobo, Cakewalk UA25-EX, M-Audio Monitors, Laney L5T, Various pedals, Fender Standard Strat w/Seymour Duncan SSL-1 - SSL-5 Pups, Hamer, Yamaha & Washburn Guitars, M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen,

Eman0010
    Re:N/A 2010/02/17 17:58:11 (permalink)
    Yes it pops ramdomly, but it has noting to do with electrical interference since I use the UA-25EX on a Toshiba latop. that means it pops without the AC adaptor plugged in to the latop.  which it pops too while on battery.  I have emailed roland and they siad it sounds like I'm having an IRQ conflict. They said to try changing the UA-25EX to different USB ports. But I did that and noting change. I even disabled the LAN, Wi-Fi, from the BIOS. I also disabled the bulit in sound card on the laptop. I did pretty much every thing but I still get that poping noise. heres my IRQ infomation
    IRQ 0    High precision event timer    OK
    IRQ 1    Standard PS/2 Keyboard    OK
    IRQ 8    High precision event timer    OK
    IRQ 12    Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad    OK
    IRQ 13    Numeric data processor    OK
    IRQ 14    IDE Channel    OK
    IRQ 15    IDE Channel    OK
    IRQ 16    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller    OK
    IRQ 16    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller    OK
    IRQ 16    High Definition Audio Controller    OK
    IRQ 17    Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) #2    OK
    IRQ 17    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller    OK
    IRQ 18    Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter    OK
    IRQ 18    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller    OK
    IRQ 18    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller    OK
    IRQ 19    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller    OK
    IRQ 22    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller    OK

What should I do since disabling some of the parts does not change anything. My UA-25EX is on port IRQ 16 I'm trying to get rid of this popping sound comming from the right speaker and all of the out puts of the UA-25EX.
    post edited by Eman0010 - 2010/02/17 22:30:22
    musichoo
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 811
    Re:N/A 2010/02/18 08:15:11 (permalink)
    I don't know if this will help. But try using a different driver like the WASAPI. WASAPI driver is available for Vista OS only. I had tried a few minutes ago and seems like I had reduced the latency a bit compared to ASIO.

My set up is is Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop.VISTA home premium 32bit.  Centrino Duo at 1.7Ghz, 4 G RAM. UA25EX and Sonar 8.5. 
    Eman0010
    Re:N/A 2010/02/18 14:07:00 (permalink)
    Yeah, it has nothing to do with latencey. my ua-25ex pops in windows media player. and even pop while not running any programs.
    Gilly78
    Re:N/A 2010/02/18 19:36:36 (permalink)
    Did you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS?

SSE8.5, Core i5 760 Quad Core, 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600, Win 7 64BIT, Asus P7P55D PRO Mobo, Cakewalk UA25-EX, M-Audio Monitors, Laney L5T, Various pedals, Fender Standard Strat w/Seymour Duncan SSL-1 - SSL-5 Pups, Hamer, Yamaha & Washburn Guitars, M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen,

Gilly78
    Re:N/A 2010/02/18 23:25:36 (permalink)
    OK, some other things to try...

Try changing Vistas power settings to High Performance.  Go into the advanced settings and set it to never turn off the hard disk.  Obviously, this isn't a great option if you're on a laptop so change it back to whatever settings you're on if it doesn't solve the problem.

Make sure you're running the latest driver for your graphics card.

When changing sample rate on the back of the AI did you power cycle.... Unplug and re-insert the USB lead?

If you go into the control panel for the IA in Vista, you should be able to check a box called 'light load'.  Worth a shot.

Are you going straight into the laptops USB ports or are you using a USB hub?

Have you tried a different USB cable and uninstalling / re-installing drivers?

The ppping sound is just coming from the right speaker?  What about when headphones are plugged in.  Just the right speaker then?  Are your speakers powered?  What happens when you unplug the speakers and just use headphones?

Are your playback and recording devices both set as the UA-25EX as the default device?

I notice your UA-25EX, or rather the USB port is sharing the same IRQ as the High Definition Audio Controller.  You mentioned you disabled the onboard sound but did you disable it in the BIOS?

Try all of the above and then re-installing the driver.

If that doesn't solve the issue do you know anyone who will let you test the UA-25EX on their computer.  If it does it on theirs then it's the interface.

Eman0010
    Re:N/A 2010/02/20 03:45:39 (permalink)
    Hi Gilly,

I did pretty much every thing above but still no success. I have the audio interface plugged directly in to the laptop no hub. I can hear the popping sound in my head phones too. I will try my unit on a couple of my friends computers and see if it does the same. If it doesn't do the same then it's just my laptop, which is just the way it's made and configurated, But if it do does the same then it's the interface that is defected or has some electrical shortage on the circuit board inside the box.

But the weird thing about it how come it's doesn't pop while the Advance Driver mode switch is off. It only pop's while in Advance Driver mode but in Standard mode 16 bit 44.1 it never pops. Why is that? I know it uses two different drives. One is a generic usb audio driver which is included in Windows Vista OS and the other is the Roland ASIO Driver for the UA-25EX.

I don't want to use the standard mode since I use the MIDI I/O for my Keyboard and always use a 24 bit 48 recording. The interface is kind of useless with out the high quality if I just use the standard mode. I Know there is a free asio driver out there called ASIO4ALL but in my opinion I do not like it. I tried it once and my sonar was very unstable and too many dropouts because that driver couldn't handle heavy midi and audio projects.

How is your interface I'm sure you have the same one I do, but just with the Cakewalk name slapped on it instead of Edirol brand name. I will let you know what I find out after I test it on my friends computer.

Emmanuel
    Gilly78
    Re:N/A 2010/02/20 14:48:19 (permalink)
    Hi Eman

Frustrating as hell when yoiu spend more time debugging hardware / software than making music.  Goes with the game I suppose!

Prior to upgrading my PC and getting the UA25-EX I had a ton of issues with hardware and software that's cost me a small fortune to fix and cost me six weeks of music creation time :(  Still got an issue with my PC that means I can't turn it off or it won't come on again 1 in 5 times.  It's probably a BIOS issue but frustrating nonetheless.

Anyhow, with my computer up and running everything is working great.  I use the UA25-EX (Same one but with Cakewalk branding) in 24bit 48khz mode.  I'm connected to my monitors with RCA leads and the sound is crystal clear.  I'm running everything at default settings with regards to it's driver settings.  Audio buffer size is 6, 320 samples, Using Asio direct monitor and the light load box unchecked.

I only have one issue.  If I play back an mp3 file that is 64k or less it won't play back properly.  Not a big deal as it's only 2 songs on my PC and they where poor anyway.  Everything else plays fine.

It's looking like it is either your Laptop or the interface.

If it turns out to be the interface then I recommend getting a new one as it is a great little interface.

Eman0010
    Re:N/A 2010/02/20 20:02:06 (permalink)
    Hi Gilly

I got good news I just resolve that annoying poping noise. It was my BIOS the whole time. I just went to Toshiba and downloaded the lasted BIOS update from version 1.30 to 1.80. now every thing works great. At first I thought is was the interface but it was my computer.

anyways thanks for the help and information, you where very helpfu. Now I can finally start making music.
    Gilly78
    Re:N/A 2010/02/21 14:34:34 (permalink)
    Great news Eman!

HP haven't released a BIOS update for my mobo for 2 years so it's safe to say they probably won't.  It's causing me issues but I can live with them for now.

progresstr
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:N/A 2011/02/27 17:34:42 (permalink)
    Switch the Advanced Driver to OFF from your soundcard.   Switch the KHz to 44.1 from your soundcard. You can see those switches at the back of UA-25EX.    

In Sonar,  go to Audio -  Switch the driver to '' MME-32 Bit '' at first.  Then put the latency to 10 or 20 ms.     At the Sonar screen, you will see '' 44.100 Khz - 16-Bit '' under the Sonar main screen.  

Try these settings on Windows Media Player and on Sonar.  

Windows Media Player just runs 16 or 32 bit music.   So when the Advanced Driver is on, UA 25-EX works on 24-bit.  This causes popping on Windows Media Player.  

In My Laptop ;   It's really hard to use UA 25 EX stable with ASIO drivers.  I've tried few USB Sound Cards with their own ASIO drivers, and also tried ASIO4ALL.   Nothing solved my problem.

I was using it with MME-32 @ 10 or 20ms latency ( Monitoring on from UA-25 EX  which makes you feel  like there's no latency )

About half an hour ago I decided to try WASAPI and @ 9 ms latency I took a record without any stability problem.  

Try Both MME-32 Bit and WASAPI with 44.1 KHz - 16 Bit set from both your UA 25 EX and Sonar. Hope it works. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1