Edirol/Home Studio driver problem?

Author
ccmacdon
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 250
2005/06/13 09:30:16 (permalink)

Edirol/Home Studio driver problem?

Hi.. I am primarily a Sonar/P5 user, and I just picked up a Home Studio/Edirol package for my girlfriends son (he plays guitar and keyboards, they had a great deal on this combo at my local music store, and I couldn't resist it for the price).. I tried to install it late last week and encountered a problem... the edirol drivers seemed to install properly, but when I went into Home Studio, I could see the edirol MIDI ports, and, if I recall correctly the Audio Output... BUT I couldn't see the Edirol Audio Input... so I was unable to get any audio into Home Studio.

I suspect that the Edirol drivers didn't install correctly (actually it was a rather complicated driver install process), but I didn't have time to reinstall or trouble shoot the problem... I'm planning to spend some time trying to sort this out this evening but I thought I would poll the home studio forum to see if there were any suggestions how to fix this problem....so any ideas would be appreciated asap.. THANKS!!! Craig

6 Replies Related Threads

AristotleY
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Edirol/Home Studio driver problem? 2005/06/13 10:18:53 (permalink)
    I think the EDIROL unit installs ASIO drivers. Did you go to the Options>Audio... screen, select the Advanced tab, and select Driver Mode: ASIO?
    ccmacdon
    RE: Edirol/Home Studio driver problem? 2005/06/13 10:24:50 (permalink)
    Nope haven't done this, but I will check that first thing this evening... I guess this could account for the audio drivers not installing correctly... THANKS Aristotle!! If anyone has any other suggestions, keep them coming, and I'll make try to sort this out tonight!!
    ccmacdon
    RE: Edirol/Home Studio driver problem? 2005/06/14 09:10:08 (permalink)
    I resolved my problem last night, in case anyone else encounters this problem.. It seems that the Advanced Driver switch on the Edirol UA-20 was in the off position... if you install the drivers with the Advanced Driver switch in the off position, the Windows WDM drivers load automatically, the ASIO drivers do not load, and it does not allow you to select the ASIO Drivers... Furthermore, if you try to load the ASIO drivers you get a message that the drivers to not match the hardware... (which makes sense now that I understand the function of the Advanced Driver Switch). So to correctly install this Edirol UA-20, and enable the audio in/out you must have the Advanced Driver in the ON position, and then you will have the opportunity to select the driver from the supplied CD.. THEN, you then need to go into Home Studio and Select Options Audio... advanced and enable ASIO. I have to say that it took a while to sort this out, because the pop up set up instructions say nothing about the Advanced Driver Switch, and if you open the manual and skip directly to the Windows XP installation instructions on page 12 you miss the description of the Advanced Driver switch on page 10.. What a pain... however I now have audio and midi input working through the Edirol UA-20 to Home Studio.

I still have one remaining problem... I can't seem to get the output of Home Studio to go to the soundcard and external speakers... when I select the output of a particular track it it only allows output to the Edirol Outs NOT the Sound card.. any ideas anyone?
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Edirol/Home Studio driver problem? 2005/06/14 09:16:29 (permalink)
    I still have one remaining problem... I can't seem to get the output of Home Studio to go to the soundcard and external speakers... when I select the output of a particular track it it only allows output to the Edirol Outs NOT the Sound card.. any ideas anyone?

Why wouldn't you want it to go to the Edirol... that IS your soundcard? You don't want to monitor through crappy computer speakers, do you? You'd be better off monitoring through headphones connected to the Edirol.

ASIO mode does not support multiple soundcards. If you want to use the Edirol and the built-in soundcard (I can't imagine why) you'd have to switch to WDM mode.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    ccmacdon
    RE: Edirol/Home Studio driver problem? 2005/06/14 09:37:17 (permalink)
    Dave, I didn't realize that ASIO didn't support multiple sound cards.... I was just hoping to output to the Soundcard and PC Speakers simply for convenience. because this is just installed in his bedroom to play with and learn about the software (as a prelude to using Sonar 4 Producer in my studio).. Anyway, thanks for the tip.. I'll hook the output of the Edirol to a separate amp/speakers.. Craig
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Edirol/Home Studio driver problem? 2005/06/14 11:36:28 (permalink)
    The next release of ASIO - ASIO 2 is supposed to support multiple soundcards.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1