Helpful ReplyEdit MIDI Polyphonic Aftertouch in Piano Roll View

Author
Resort Records
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 234
2016/10/29 20:11:51 (permalink)

Edit MIDI Polyphonic Aftertouch in Piano Roll View

It's nice that Sonar records Poly AT*, but unfortunately, there's no reasonable way to edit the resulting curves.

It would require very little effort to add this feature.  Simply duplicate the function of channel aftertouch lanes, but display poly AT data for all notes instead (overlapping and grayed out).  When a MIDI note is selected in the piano roll above, the corresponding poly aftertouch data is emphasized in the lane and can be edited, just as channel AT data.  Choose a different MIDI note and the lane is refreshed accordingly, thus making it possible to edit poly AT data easily and intuitively for each note.

Easy-peasy! 

* Polyphonic aftertouch, poly aftertouch, polyphonic at, poly at, polyphonic pressure, poly pressure, note pressure, note aftertouch, note at.  Did I forget anyone?

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
ricoskyl
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 327
Re: Edit MIDI Polyphonic Aftertouch in Piano Roll View 2016/10/31 23:46:05 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I particularly like PAT for selective pitch bend while holding a chord.  Great for a bluegrass sound.  I have heard that the support for this part of the standard has been limited because of the data clog.  After all, you're recording individual time-based data streams for every note you play.  

Do you find you generally only affect individual notes when you apply AT in a performance? (Rather than applying AT to six or eight notes simultaneously.)

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
----------------------
Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Edit MIDI Polyphonic Aftertouch in Piano Roll View 2016/11/01 08:25:31 (permalink)
And of course, not all synths respond to poly aftertouch.  Z3ta2 does.

However, Rapture Pro does not, even though poly aftertouch is listed as a separate controller in the modulation matrix.  In Rapture Pro, the poly aftertouch events are received and processed.  However, all notes are affected as if it was channel aftertouch.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
Resort Records
Re: Edit MIDI Polyphonic Aftertouch in Piano Roll View 2016/11/02 18:18:02 (permalink)
ricoskyl
Do you find you generally only affect individual notes when you apply AT in a performance? (Rather than applying AT to six or eight notes simultaneously.)

It really depends on the synth patch.  For strings and pads, I might push a couple of notes harder or generally mush things around for some undulation.  But if the instrument is more focused - a Japanese koto, for example - then I'll usually push one note, and that's when precision (and being able to edit) are more important.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Edit MIDI Polyphonic Aftertouch in Piano Roll View 2016/11/03 04:04:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Resort Records 2016/11/05 14:18:36
If you need a workaround for editing, there is my idea:
* add MFX to the original track which filter out PAT
* create separate track routed to the same synth
* add MFX to the second track which can convert PAT to normal keys (and remove the rest) and back
* copy clip to the second track, apply PAT to keys conversion and switch MFX into key to PAT mode
It should be possible then to edit the second track in PRV, with immediate result audition.
At the end apply reverse conversion permanently.

It is far from the best solution, but better then nothing. Also with 2 tracks prepared with required MFXes it should be reasonable fast to use.

Let me know if you want to try that, I will prepare required MFX settings then.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Resort Records
Re: Edit MIDI Polyphonic Aftertouch in Piano Roll View 2016/11/05 15:11:57 (permalink)
azslow3
If you need a workaround for editing, there is my idea....

Thank you very much for your kind offer, but for this and a few other reasons, I had no choice but to purchase Cubase.  It supports editing of poly AT as suggested above, MIDI Release Velocity (see my feature request), and improved surround support (see my feature request and bug reports re Audio Ease Altiverb XL).

For the record, I much prefer Sonar's UI.  Cubase has a bit more going on under the hood for pros and power users, but lacks in many other areas.  Hence, my series of recent feature requests.  If Sonar would address just one or two things, I'd gladly come back.

Thanks again.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1