Editing music with lyrics

Author
jlaveaux
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/07/04 23:38:07 (permalink)

Editing music with lyrics

I am new to this software and music mixing all together. I am a cheer coach trying to create some sompetition music. I have some great audio but need to take out bits of lyrics and add new ones, does anyone know how to do this or can offer any tips? Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Editing music with lyrics 2010/07/05 00:11:56 (permalink)
    Sure. It's easy.
    There's a tool that looks like a little pair of scissors; called the 'Split' tool.
    Another tool that looks like a little grid; called the Snap-To grid. This is used to set the Snap-to resolution (to place the Now time marker [the vertical bar that shows the current position in the song] at a more precise point). It's set to Whole or Measure by default, so if you click anywhere in a measure, it will place the Now line on the nearest measure.
    You can set the Snap-to resolution to a very small resolution in order to place the Now time where you want it, and to split a clip exactly where you want it.
    So, set the Snap-to resolution to 1/16, or 1/32; click the Split tool; click in the track just before the part you want to remove, and just after that part. That will segregate the to-be-removed part into its own little clip. Turn the Split tool off. Right-click the little clip and select Edit>Delete.
    Then arm another audio track to record, click the Record button, and record the new part on the new track at the place you want it.
    If the new part is already recorded on your hard drive, such as a loop or audio sample, just place the Now marker where the empty spot in the other track is and go to File>Import Audio and navigate to the folder on your hard drive where that audio sample is; double-click it and it should then be rendered into the track at the place where the Now line is.
    You can also drag the clip forward or backward if it isn't exactly on time, or use the Process>Nudge command to move it a preset distance.
    Wait... I said 'easy', didn't I? 
    Welcome to the forum.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Editing music with lyrics 2010/07/05 07:51:16 (permalink)
    What Greg told you is correct.....IF.... the lyric is separate from the music..... recorded in it's own track in a multitrack project.

If the music is from a CD.... that is much harder to accomplish. People have been trying for years to successfully remove vocals from music. A number of devices have been made and sold that claim to be able to do that, and they have varying levels of success. Software techniques are similar.

Bottom line: It's best if you can get what is commonly referred to as a soundtrack (music without the vocals) and then use Music Creator to ADD your new lyrics to it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Editing music with lyrics 2010/07/05 21:37:23 (permalink)
    Correct. What I described above will remove all the audio, including any music in that clip. Perhaps a karaoke site would have the songs you want to use, sans lyrics. You can also get MIDI files of popular songs and record vocals to them.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Editing music with lyrics 2010/07/06 08:09:05 (permalink)
    Look up the member known as Robomusic... he pops in here quite often. He can give you some links to a midi library where you can probably find most of the songs you are looking.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1