Effect of DC Offset Correction - Louder?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Effect of DC Offset Correction - Louder? 2010/07/30 06:51:01 (permalink)
I will be glad to open it and try it if you want to do that, but if this is limited to this particular bun file then it might be a corrupt file problem, too.

if you want me to try it, send it to yousendit or upload it and give me the link.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
larrymcg
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1310
Re:Effect of DC Offset Correction - Louder? 2010/07/30 12:42:54 (permalink)
Beagle,

I don't think the bun file is corrupted because I can go back to the PA9 wrk project and recreate the bun file and they all manifest the same issue in SHS7.

I really think there is something about the PA9 wrk project that causes the bun file to contain some strange stuff (maybe you would call that corruption) or SHS7 doesn't handle the bun file correctly.  Since almost any edit of the PA9 wrk file BEFORE saving it as a bun file creates a bun file that works correctly in SHS7, I'm even more convinced this is just a bit of weirdness in the PA9 wrk file.

Since we have thoroughly answered my original question "Does Removing DC Offset make the volume louder?", I think it is time to move on to other issues, especially ones that don't have such an easy work around!

So, thanks for the offer to download and open the bun file but I'll pass, at least for now.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me explore this issue.
--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Effect of DC Offset Correction - Louder? 2010/07/30 13:26:28 (permalink)
ok.  I think you've probably hit the nail on the head - that SHS might not handle bun files correctly, or at least not all the time if there's something in that bun file that might be causing "weirdness."

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
jcatena
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re:Effect of DC Offset Correction - Louder? 2010/07/30 15:50:19 (permalink)
Well, basic archetecture changed meaningfully from PA to SONAR 7, clip gain and events dissapeared, envelopes appeared... Importing a project from a much older version may very well not be completely accurate, and it is not an area that many users test a lot...
As the OP says, once he knows what the problems is, it makes more sense to keep it in mind and correct what was not correctly imported than to investigate what's exactly the cause. Most probably it's one of many gain parameters not mapped correctly when importing from older version.
When I import an old project i give for granted that i'll have to do some tweaking: even if all the project elements were imported and mapped correctly to the current architecture, I always found i was using plugins or instruments that i don't longer use and such...
Not a big problem IMHO.

Jose Catena
DIGIWAVES, S.L.
larrymcg
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1310
Re:Effect of DC Offset Correction - Louder? 2010/07/30 16:20:16 (permalink)
As I continue doing the PA9 wrk --> PA9 bun --> SHS7 cwp conversions, I'm finding more examples of the original issue.  Something that I hadn't paid much attention to is that many of my PA9 projects have Volume Envelopes.  These get converted to Sonar Volume Envelopes but sometimes not very accurately.  The envelope levels seem correct in SHS7 but the timing of when they change from one level to another is sometimes way off.  So I have to move them around a bit in SHS7.

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
Re:Effect of DC Offset Correction - Louder? 2010/07/30 18:35:31 (permalink)
Larry, this is probably not the cause but I found that some Sonar utility is said to not only does remove the dc offset but normalizes also. As I recall from little normalizing I have done, raises volume.

It may also have to do with how it is that the removal of the DC offset is done. I think it is probably done by a low pass or high pass filter, and as Catena points out, there could be some incompatibility between the way factors were stored and handled in previous versions as to newer versions, specially when it comes to applying processes.

If it is indeed a compatibility of some type, and if it can be corrected, for me this is something to keep in mind, rather than something that needs solving.

Thanks for sharing from your findings and concerns.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1