Effects disappear in Windows 7

Author
Mike Alger
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/01/30 20:03:12 (permalink)

Effects disappear in Windows 7

Hello again.. thanks for your help in getting my PA9 running in Windows 7. I thought I had everything licked, but now I notice a new problem. We can record audio tracks just fine, but for some reason if zI try to add effects to the tracks, nothing happens. The effects menu is not greyed out, and it looks like everything is on the first menu (Cakewalk effects, CFX, etc... the whole gamut appears to be available), but when I select any of the specific effects either nothing happens (when I try through the edit menu) or it gives me a message that says it is out of memory. I don't know if this is a Windows 7 issue, a 64 bit issue (the computer is 64 bit), or some other issue.  Any ideas out there?

Help me Obiwan... you're my only hope.

3 Replies Related Threads

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:Effects disappear in Windows 7 2010/01/31 13:41:20 (permalink)
    On WinXP, the "out of memory" error is PA9's perverse way of saying the DX effect is not installed correctly.  I have used two tools to fix this problem in the past but I'm not sure which is the correct one.  Here they are:

DXMan from Analogx.com -- a DX plugin manager.

DXuninstaller -- this program removes references for DX plugins from the registry.  When a plugin is not installed correctly, PA9 still sees the registry entry and then the error happens.  Unfortunately I can't find DXuninstaller on the internet although there is another utility called "DX Uninstaller" which is used to uninstall versions of "DX 9".  "DX Uninstaller" is NOT what you want.

I'd suggest downloading DXMan from AnalogX (see section on Audio tools) and see if it can help.  If not, I have the DXuninstaller.zip file which installs DXuninstaller.

Since I don't have any DX plugin issues on my fairly new system I don't have either program installed otherwise I could fire them up and tell you which to use.

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:Effects disappear in Windows 7 2010/01/31 13:56:40 (permalink)
    I just found DXuninstaller.  The key is to Google for the zip file "dxuninstaller.zip".
    Anyway, the link is
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/v...load/DXuninstaller.zip
    This is likely to be a pretty old program.  Don't know how it acts on Win7.  DXMan is likely a more up to date program.
    --Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Windows7Guy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Effects disappear in Windows 7 2010/04/22 13:15:33 (permalink)
    Hello Mike,
    Have you checked compatibility?
    Just an FYI for you.
    It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.
    Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibility.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
    There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".
    There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
    In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!
    As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.
    Thanks again,
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1