Effects processors, which stands out at right price?

Author
micaofboca
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2008/09/19 01:46:06 (permalink)

Effects processors, which stands out at right price?

In using my Motif ES with SONAR, I would prefer to use a separate Effects Processor than use either Cakewalk's packaged effects or any software based plug-in. I think I've narrowed it down to the T.C. Electronics M-3000 which at $1500 offers many more presets than the Yamaha SPX2000 which comes in at $1000. Of course I'd rather just shell out $400 for, say a T.C Elec. M-One XL, but I don't know how interesting the sounds are. I want to use the effects NOT JUST FOR GUITAR, but more many Midi instruments that are to be first recorded in Midi, and then re-recorded into audio using the effects and some mastering plug-ins such as WaveLab.with its Audio Montage, but I don't like the WaveLab effects either. Is there a better choice than the M-3000 for a similar cost?

9 Replies Related Threads

micaofboca
    RE: Effects processors, which stands out at right price? 2008/09/26 01:02:23 (permalink)
    How are the Alesis effects processors that sell for $200 and less? They look cool as hell, and for so little, while they wouldn't burden my processor, being outboard hardware rather than plug-in software. I just can't see spending 2 grand on FX !! But the price differential between these cool very well made devices that are chock-full-of effects, and the TC, Yamaha, Lexicon and Eventide processors that jump up to 1 grand, then 2 grand, the, 3 grand for effects?? How much more sophisticated can a flange, or chorus, or delay be, although I do understand the huge difference when it comes to reverb, but I'll bet the MidVerb by iAlesis has got some pretty nice reverbs, at just $200. The only thing is, I don;t want guitar-based effects, but rather multiple instrument mastering effects for the Final Audio mix and not just for performing or any Midi setting, since I need them applied to Audio Tracks as they;re being recorded into SONAR.
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Effects processors, which stands out at right price? 2008/09/26 01:10:45 (permalink)
    The Alesis FX sound very metallic and unnatural to my ears..............

If you are into tweaking and want good, inexpensive rack fx find a used Digitech Studio Quad 4............not the Quad v2.....its blue on the face..........

With 4 S-Disc processors and 4 ins and 4 outs, the routing and editing is very extensive.........

The fx are quiet and warm/thick............these units have their own sound.

As I've moved away from rack fx I've dumped a few units that were 3X the cost and kept the Studio Quad for all it can do.........

Good luck
    micaofboca
    RE: Effects processors, which stands out at right price? 2008/09/26 02:38:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Z. I figured I might be disappointed with the FX so you saved me from wasting yet more $ during bad times. The Quad 4's discontinued but I could probably find one around if I keep looking, the point being, it pays to get good advice before blindly getting excited about ads and buying the wrong device in a market or dozens of choices. That reverb warmth you speak of sounds right the F on.I'm looking forward to possibly hearing one, because it's in the right price range. Thanks for your tip, Z.
    zungle
    RE: Effects processors, which stands out at right price? 2008/09/26 03:16:18 (permalink)
    Understand the Quad 4 has a definite sound............but it kills the Alesis stuff for sure.......not even close.

Once I figures out the power of the Quad I dumped .........

Ensonic DP4
    Ensonic DP Pro
    Yamaha Rev 500 and SPX 90
    Lex mpx100

The Ensonics are considered pro pieces but the routing and all of the Quads combinations retired 'em

Understand its no upper end lexicon.........but For me.............I can't imagine finding a more usable piece at its price point..............except the now retired ART DMV Pro.....those little suckers are pretty B.A. in their own right........you may stumble on to one of those as well............they were on the market for a short period around 1998-2001?

Good Luck.
    IzovAge
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: Effects processors, which stands out at right price? 2008/09/26 12:57:04 (permalink)
    Check out the Kurzweil Rumour. Really nice sounding for the money. The algo's are from the KSP8.
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Effects processors, which stands out at right price? 2008/09/27 23:10:29 (permalink)
    Along with the other discontinued Digitech products look for the TSR-24, especially if you can find one with the second optional S-DISC installed. You can come up with some really convoluted fx chains.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    zungle
    RE: Effects processors, which stands out at right price? 2008/09/27 23:47:22 (permalink)
    Along with the other discontinued Digitech products look for the TSR-24, especially if you can find one with the second optional S-DISC installed. You can come up with some really convoluted fx chains.

Totally..........................

TSR-24's are excellent...............

Good Call.
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: Effects processors, which stands out at right price? 2008/09/28 09:16:48 (permalink)
    Haven't used them, but have heard from others who like them... the Lexicon units are supposed to be nice...

* Lexicon Digital Effects Processors

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Effects processors, which stands out at right price? 2008/09/28 11:01:38 (permalink)
    It'll be hard to beat the T.C. Electronics unit with anything out there. Depends on how many channels of different effects you want to use at once.
    ORIGINAL: micaofboca

In using my Motif ES with SONAR, I would prefer to use a separate Effects Processor than use either Cakewalk's packaged effects or any software based plug-in. I think I've narrowed it down to the T.C. Electronics M-3000 which at $1500 offers many more presets than the Yamaha SPX2000 which comes in at $1000. Of course I'd rather just shell out $400 for, say a T.C Elec. M-One XL, but I don't know how interesting the sounds are. I want to use the effects NOT JUST FOR GUITAR, but more many Midi instruments that are to be first recorded in Midi, and then re-recorded into audio using the effects and some mastering plug-ins such as WaveLab.with its Audio Montage, but I don't like the WaveLab effects either. Is there a better choice than the M-3000 for a similar cost?

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1