Electric guitar limiting

Author
lost tears music
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 72
2008/05/06 12:45:12 (permalink)

Electric guitar limiting

Hello!!

I know this might sound funny but I would like to ask what does a limiter do to the sound of an electric guitar? What is the purpose of aplying a limiter? Do you aply it on solo's, hard rythm guitar?. If you are recording a guitar using an effects processor with really good presets do you need to use it?

Thanks!!

7 Replies Related Threads

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Electric guitar limiting 2008/05/06 15:31:01 (permalink)
    I've never used a limiter on a guitar track, only on the Master bus. Bit if I wanted to find out how it would sound..........I'd try it and find out.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Electric guitar limiting 2008/05/06 17:13:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lost tears music

Hello!!

I know this might sound funny but I would like to ask what does a limiter do to the sound of an electric guitar? What is the purpose of aplying a limiter? Do you aply it on solo's, hard rythm guitar?. If you are recording a guitar using an effects processor with really good presets do you need to use it?

Thanks!!

you should look into what a limiter does and how the threshold and release and the gain and gain reduction and the attack and sometimes the ratio all do to the sound or sounds.
    In very very short, a limiter limits the signal, it can also lower the dynamic range of a sound and it can also increase or raise the noise floor of a sound.
    Just learn what a limiter does first, before wanting to throw it on a track. It can ruin the track if its set wrong. also, the limiter has many many many functions.
    also, no one can say if you need one or dont need one when using effect processors, only you can make that judgement by using your ears and your eyes
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Electric guitar limiting 2008/05/06 17:19:42 (permalink)
    Same thing...I rarely use limiting at all. Just a bit of compression on final mix. In place of limiting.....turn down the faders a bit, use pop filters on mics, watch the track levels like a hawk and keep them out of the red (clipping) and you should be alright without a limiter in the studio.

Limiting basically turns the volume down on spikes when the level exceeds a certain "limit point" it can be a soft limit or a hard limit. Hard limiting basically clips the tops of the spikes....

Using a limiter in a studio is not really necessary most of the time.

Live sound...different story... singers drop mics, flash pots explode, and many other sources of spikes that are destructive to amps & speakers exist in live sound that are not as prevelent in the studio. We ran a limiter all the time on our PA system....and it saved our speakers....as a matter of fact, after we put it into service, we did not blow out as many speakers & horn drivers. And after a flash pot literally exploded, we only lost 1 speaker in our PA, but we lost every single monitor & onstage speaker from the blast..either the shockwave or the sound going through the monitors..... it was bad....but the limiter saved over 14 speakers & 6 horn drivers in our main system.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Electric guitar limiting 2008/05/07 01:27:22 (permalink)
    Limiting as compared to compression is usually geared as a high ratio with fast attack and release times used mostly for taming fast transients. It can be useful for limiting very plucky parts with a clean guitar. I think of it more like a subset of a compressor function. You can boost the overall signal level and keep the fast transient from over shooting... or you can use a lower level and adjust an expander to increase gain after the transient... but that can increase lower level noise so it depends on the material.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    lost tears music
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Electric guitar limiting 2008/05/07 02:34:47 (permalink)
    Hey!!!

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess I dont really need the limiter in most projects. I have never used it. But now I understand what it does. I have posted 2 tracks at www.soundclick.com/losttearsmusic. I would like opinion on how the mixing sounds and sugestions on how to make it better.

Thanks a lot!!!

www.soundclick.com/losttearsmusic
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Electric guitar limiting 2008/05/07 07:27:25 (permalink)
    Well said Cjay. A limiter can act as a compressor really.

If I were to use one on guitars, it would be to make it loud without peaking, or to control the dynamics of a guitar or multiple guitars.

I would use sonitus compressor though personally. I only use a limiter to master usually, in particular, voxengo elephant.

But I will put kick and bass through one and tweak to make it where when they both hit, they "merge"

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Electric guitar limiting 2008/05/07 19:49:22 (permalink)
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/07/09 22:20:49
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1