Electronic Drum Kits

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2006/12/31 13:54:54 (permalink)

Electronic Drum Kits

Hey,

I'm kinda thinking about getting an electronic drum kit because I'm tired of creating drum parts on my midi keyboard. Is anyone familiar with Hart drum kits? Looks like MF is offering a pretty good deal on them: Hart Drum Kit

If anyone has experience with this gear, please let me know what you think.

I'm also consdering EZDrummer, but I would think a kit would be more realistic.

Thanks!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

10 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2006/12/31 18:12:47 (permalink)
    Well that price sure is tempting. I bought a set of these for our church about ten years ago. All I can say is that they didn't suck. We used an Alesis DM5 for a sound source and they worked ok for that.

If price isn't the driving factor, the lower end V-Drums would likely be a set that would interface better with EZdrummer if you are serious about that route. Glennbo in the NTTP group has gone that direction as well as DFHS and he's coming up with impressive results.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Duojet
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1413
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2006/12/31 18:29:33 (permalink)
    in that price range you will not be able to take full advantage of ezdrummer or superior, because those kits are single triggers per piece and i dont think they have zones. ezdrummer and superior have automatic right/left alternation but you wont be able to take advantage of other articulations such as rimshots, ride bell, and other things. i'm also not sure how well this would be able to control hi hats either. here a review:

http://www.acousticdrums.com/members/esp-1qtr02.html

i went through a similar search for a better trigger interface and ultimately decided on a zendrum. Its fantastic, but it 3x the price of the hart kit

Intel Core2Duo e8400
    Abit IP35-E
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit
    EMU 1820m

DFHS2, BFD2, Battery3, Amplitube2, GuitarRig3, Kontakt4, Ampeg SVX, Line6 PodXT
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2006/12/31 18:35:23 (permalink)
    I bought the (almost) cheapest Roland V-Drums set out there, TD-3 or something for $999. All are "hard" rubber triggers except the snare which is mesh. Cymbals are dual trigger with chokes. After playing a mesh trigger a while you'll wish they were all mesh drums. So much more realistic feeling. I've had it for a year now and am not disappointed with it at all. The TD-3 module also has some great practice tools built in for learning to play if you're not already a good drummer.

The sound module that comes with it is decent for playing and practicing, but I'd never record the sounds (too fake sounding). However, I do record midi from the V-drums for playback with soft synths (TTS-1, SD2, even GrooveSynth drum kits sometimes) and the results are easily 10x more real sounding than programming drums by hand. Better dynamic changes, less stiff/more groove, and just sounds a lot more like real drums for your recordings.
    yarimurray
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2007/01/01 20:52:31 (permalink)
    I have that same kit and it has worked well for me. I use an Alesis DM Pro and MIDI to trigger samples (recently Velocity samples in Project 5 rewired). I've also rewired Reason with great results.

While the Hart kit does not have dual triggers or zones since I record myself I can always record layers to achieve the same effects. I've played low end Roland sets but they have the rubber pads and I much prefer the mesh heads on the Hart. You can also replace the mesh heads with regular drum heads if you want and tension can be adjusted like a real drum head.

There is no doubt that your drum tracks will sound more real if triggered by this set over using a keyboard.

Good luck with your decision,

Michael

3.2GHz Dual core 6GB RAM Windows 7 Professional (SP1) - Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 - SONAR Platinum - Project 5v2 - Dimension Pro - Rapture - REAPER - StudioOne 3 Artist - Capture - Harrison Mixbus (DAW junkie)
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2007/01/02 08:39:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yarimurray
    I've played low end Roland sets but they have the rubber pads and I much prefer the mesh heads on the Hart.

You know, I had always heard that. And it was one of the main reasons I hesitated to buy my V-drums, because I could only afford the one with the rubber pads. Well, the snare was mesh, but all the toms were rubber. I thought that would take some serious getting used to, but it really didn't. In practically no time, I could play on those just as naturally as any mesh head. So, I guess I'm just saying don't let the rubber pads scare you away. They bounce pretty good. Not 100% realistic to a real drum head, but definitely a good bounce, and very playable. The TD-6 Roland drum module has some really nice sounds too. I often just take a line out from that module and record it, as opposed to recording MIDI and using a software sampler. And I own BFD and Reason, so I've got some decent samplers.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    rome
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2007/01/04 12:21:25 (permalink)
    Have you looked at the ION IED01. I must admit these are at the very low end of the price range (£220) but they are fine for recording and they give you the satisfaction that you have played the drum track youself. Even if you cant play, the drum machine can be disconnected from the triggers and be used as a stand-alone machine.

Here is a quick Description:

The iED01 features a great selection of 233 realistic, natural drum sounds, offered both in dry form and sampled with our incomparable digital reverbs. Our exclusive Dynamic ArticulationTM feature enables a drum sound to change its tonal content as it's played harder for truly realistic performances.

The iED01 features 50 preset patterns with enough built-in rhythmic variations (with A, B and two Fill sections) for composing complete arrangements, and creating and saving your own customized patterns and songs. Plug the headphones, included in the kit, right into the headphone jack for discrete practicing.

Plus, the iED01 also provides complete MIDI implementation, flexible programming and editing features and velocity-sensitive pad buttons

***The only problem I have found with this kit is that the pedals feel cheap. Now and again you can get a double kick from the bass pedal*
    7string
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2007/01/04 23:28:45 (permalink)
    That Hart kit is a great start for the price. They are Remo type practice pads with mesh heads. Hart makes good stuff.

I have some Yamaha PCY130s & PCY150s cymbals. Affordable and awesome.

http://shop.drumbalaya.com/Electronic_Drums/Yamaha_Cymbals

You probably should check out the Yammy modules too. For my budget minded setup I used a Roland TMC-6 for the cymbals (good 3 zone ride and hat pedal inputs) and an Alesis DM5 (12 single inputs) and BFD. It is a blast to play. I haven't tried EZD, but I'd bet you won't be dissapointed. With these programs, you just don't need the $2000 dollar drum module. You just need plenty of inputs and the variable hat pedal.

You could have a very respectable kit with EZD, BFD and DFHS for the same price as the TD-20 module by itself.

Introspect
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2007/01/09 23:23:05 (permalink)
    I have a high end Hart kit and have been very happy with it. I have also been impressed with Hart as company.
    rillianx15
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2007/01/10 04:37:33 (permalink)
    Hey Dave,

I bought the Hart Prodigy (cheapest set at $499) so I could put my drum playing to my Cakewalk compositions rather than writing out the parts in the staff view. I was not happy with the snare (no rim shots) or bass drum (too fragile) pads so I upgraded the snare and bass drum to the pro line for better feel and response.

I then missed having the ability to choke a cymbal so I upgraded a CYMBAL TO the choke version. Then I was unhappy I could not get the bell on the ride cymbal so I upgraded that as well. Then I was having problems with the hi-hat pad (too hard) so I switched it with the old ride I had for a better feel and things are working out fine for my purpose at this point.

I used to Roland TD6 module because it was a bit more user friendly then the Alesis rack mount. I wish I had the Roland TD-10 though.

Bob

B.O.B
    Glenn_H
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Electronic Drum Kits 2007/01/14 01:26:45 (permalink)

I bought an inexpensive Hart mesh kit a few years back and I still use it. I eventually swapped out the snare, kick, hats and ride for Rolands but I still use the Hart's toms and crash cymbals and the rack it came with.

Glenn

http://www.myspace.com/glennallenmusic
    http://www.soundclick.com/glennallen

Sonar 7PE, BFD 2, Superior 2, UAD-1, Liquid Mix, Waves SSL, Yamaha I-88X, Yamaha 03D, Motif 6
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1