Electronic Mayhem and Not

Author
nnc studio
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
2005/03/16 15:25:52 (permalink)

Electronic Mayhem and Not

Hello Song Forum People.
I've been a Cakewalk member for nearly a year- and DAW user for the same...Finally...Finally, getting some songwriting done..I've now got something to share. Here are 2 tracks that are a little different for me in that they feature some DnB beats. I normally stick to pretty straightforward Techno. They are "works in progress" and will feature vocals next and I may also merge the two into one epic track...enjoy...and thanks for listening.

http://www.superfuntime.com/DrumNbass1.mp3
http://www.superfuntime.com/DrumNbass2.mp3

uncleruby...

8 Replies Related Threads

bubblefish
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 914
    RE: Electronic Mayhem and Not 2005/03/16 16:56:44 (permalink)
    hi i listened to the first one.

not a bad composition , with some interesting breaks and pad sounds, obviously a intersting feel to the piece ,

but compressed to death and distortion which may or may not have been the idea.

seemed quiet muddy as well .

overall i like the piece and would be interested in hearing the sounds find their individual places to free up some of that emotion

If you live the sacred and despise the ordinary,
    you are still bobbing in the ocean of delusion

Some sounds with spaces
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: Electronic Mayhem and Not 2005/03/16 17:05:59 (permalink)
    Listening to #1. Neat. Sounds nice. Where did you get your loops? I'd like to get some that soudn like that...

I'll report on #2 tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dan Monaghan
    clubbedtodeath
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Electronic Mayhem and Not 2005/03/16 17:13:36 (permalink)
    There are some superb ideas in there - especially no.2. It's a bit more leftfield than most drum'n'bass - this is good. However, you really need to work on your structure more. A lot of drum'n'bass seems to work well in rondo form -- that is to say, recurring themes/sections which are interspersed with all sort of noodling. These recurring themes are what gives the listener some sense of familiarity and through that familiarity, structure. It's important to get the transition between sections seamless - they should flow into each other; at the moment, to my ears at least, it seems that the bridging between different sections is a little stilted.

Keep at it though, man - you've got something going there.
    post edited by clubbedtodeath - 2005/03/16 17:20:35
    nnc studio
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Electronic Mayhem and Not 2005/03/17 07:53:19 (permalink)
    Hey , thanks for listening guys.
    Bubblefish.... over compressed, mud and distortion..I think I am still coming to grips with levels/metering etc. in the digital domain and may rely on limiting too much to curb peaks and overs...I'll definitely address that before these pieces are finished....mud well maybe an artifact of things being over compressed? Hmm well I do like things to sound more dirty than most. I'm not into digital "clean" too much- I've invested in any plug labeled "analog'ish"- I'll make sure I'm not overdoing that too...

Dan...Actually the only looping in song one comes from Stylus RMX for drums. The melodic parts contain sample loops- but I'm triggering them from a drum and only allowing the first note or 2 of the phrase to come through. I like lining up melodies on drum machine pads and triggereing them that way to avoid the routines one gets into when playing parts from a keyboard..now song 2 does contain whole loops--I think from Smoker's Delight by Big Fish Audio...the textures on that collection are very tasty (rough and rugged)...

ClubbedtoDeath ( hey, I just got that! are you someone who had more than their share of raving and discotheques? heh).
    ...thanks for reminding me of the term LeftField...I need that if I post this stuff on DnB forums...I will work on the flow- although once vocals are added everything will have a very different feel for sure..
    Cheers everyone...and thanks again...

uncleruby

If you're interested in hearing a finished piece with vocals attached see
    http://www.superfuntime.com/WthrSng_02.mp3
    ...same friend who'll be adding vocals to the new stuff.
    burkek
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Electronic Mayhem and Not 2005/03/19 09:35:54 (permalink)
    I just listened to #1 ... so this is what's coming out of Woodstock now, eh? Well, after only a year with DAW experience, it looks like you're well on your way. I think I prefer #2 better because of the added denisty of the mix and instrumentation. While I appreciated the filter sweeps and other fx used on #1, I thought you were going out on a limb more with #2. I also think the pads carried the song through and made it gel better. Swishy drums - loved them!

BTW, it is very refreshing to see some electronic music in here - we are way, way outnumbered by Rock & Roll(ers), and it's nice to show the diversity of use for Cakewalk products.

KEv

www.kevinburke.ca

Macbook Pro 2017 | 4K monitor 
    AKAI S5000 x 3 | Korg Prophecy/Poly-61M | Alesis S4+/DM5 | Ensoniq Mirage x 2, ASR-10 | EMU e6400 | Roland S750 | Kawai K4r/XD-5/K3m | EMU Proformance/1+ | Waldorf uQ

Petteri Karjalainen
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Electronic Mayhem and Not 2005/03/19 20:06:55 (permalink)
    all I'll say is _nice_.. finally get to hear some "not rock/hiphop/pop" emerging out of the sonar forum .. yes I bet theres a stack .. I just haven't bothered to look for it.

now .. who's doing IDM ?

ooh .. track 2 just rocked my socks off .. ..
    post edited by Petteri Karjalainen - 2005/03/19 20:10:07

..but is it 20 - 40% better ?
    www.badloop.com
    Petteri Karjalainen
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Electronic Mayhem and Not 2005/03/19 20:08:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: elektroniqa

BTW, it is very refreshing to see some electronic music in here - we are way, way outnumbered by Rock & Roll(ers), and it's nice to show the diversity of use for Cakewalk products.

KEv

you just wait for the 8th of april .. im releasing a 100% Sonar EP of electronica / IDM / chillout / ambient :)
    post edited by Petteri Karjalainen - 2005/03/19 20:09:25

..but is it 20 - 40% better ?
    www.badloop.com
    burkek
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Electronic Mayhem and Not 2005/03/20 09:28:44 (permalink)
    Petteri, at the risk of hijacking this thread - I just heard some of your tracks and am quite impressed. Looking forward to your album!

KEv

www.kevinburke.ca

Macbook Pro 2017 | 4K monitor 
    AKAI S5000 x 3 | Korg Prophecy/Poly-61M | Alesis S4+/DM5 | Ensoniq Mirage x 2, ASR-10 | EMU e6400 | Roland S750 | Kawai K4r/XD-5/K3m | EMU Proformance/1+ | Waldorf uQ

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1