Elephant vs. Boost11

Author
puffer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
2009/01/10 15:39:01 (permalink)

Elephant vs. Boost11

I know this is a loaded question to ask on the Cakewalk forums, but I figure users here are going to have a lot more experience with Boost11 then elsewhere. And I know some of you have some very good ears.

First, let me say, I don't aspire to be a mastering engineer. I only "master" out of necessity and the first chance I get to have someone master my stuff - whoo!

But, I do have a little mastering template that I use for demoing. I don't slam the hell out of everything, but do a little EQ and a little boosting. I guess I'm using Boost 11 on the end of the chain as a boost/limit.

Is this a transparent boost, in your experience?

Would I be better off getting Elphant and using that as a little home-brew limiter/booster? (I am partial to Voxengo's plugs and pricing.)

Any thoughts?

digitallofi.bandcamp.com

6 Replies Related Threads

plectrumpusher
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Elephant vs. Boost11 2009/01/10 16:09:31 (permalink)
    You're going to have to look far and wide to find a bad review on the Elephant . Really apples VS Oranges here ; B-11 is the picture of simplicity, either you like what it does or nay . Elephant can be tweaked into infinty to get the resukts you're after.

If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.......Then you are just an old sour fart!!
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Elephant vs. Boost11 2009/01/11 12:30:10 (permalink)
    Elephant. Boost is OK, but sounds more digital to me.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    puffer
    RE: Elephant vs. Boost11 2009/01/11 15:36:51 (permalink)
    Well, I'm going ahead with the Elephant purchase - cause, like you say, you're not going to find a bad opinion of it anywhere.

I guess I was just curious if it was overkill, but as I read the specs I see it can do a bunch of things for me in my little demo mastering output.

I was also kind of curious as to what the final verdict on Boost11 is. I like its simplicity but I wonder about its transparency.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Elephant vs. Boost11 2009/01/11 16:58:46 (permalink)
    In Craig Anderton's Sonar Review at Harmony Central he wasn't too impressed with Boost11 and said with some music it could be made to start pumping fairly easily. Elephant is definitely an upgrade. I'm pretty sure he just released a major update for it as well.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: Elephant vs. Boost11 2009/01/11 23:30:11 (permalink)
    Bitflipper, a member of this forum, did a side by side comparison of Boost 11 and Izotope Ozone's limiter not long ago, and said that Boost 11 sounded pretty good until you pushed it hard.

If, as the OP said, you don't slam Boost 11 hard, you'll probably be happy enough with what it does. If you do want to push the limiter harder on occasions, or if, as plectrumpusher said, you want to tweak the limiter, you'll be a lot happier with Elephant than you will with Boost 11.

Boost 11 doesn't suck; it's just nothing like as sophisticated or flexible as Elephant. The really great thing about Elephant is that it can be used in lots of different ways. With Boost 11, all you can do is increase or decrease the amount of limiting applied to the track.

FYI, you can read my review of Elephant at http://traxmusic.org. I specifically mentioned Boost 11 in that interview by way of comparison.

Regards, lightninrick

Sonar X3 and 8.5.3 
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Digitech RP360XP/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Studio Cat Pro laptop i7
    16 GB RAM

puffer
    RE: Elephant vs. Boost11 2009/01/12 10:44:53 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks for that. Just what I was looking for.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1