Engineering while performing vocals... How to???

Author
mitchpetel
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 275
2010/08/27 15:37:16 (permalink)

Engineering while performing vocals... How to???

Hi All,
This might be better posted in the Techniques forum but we'll try here first.
My home studio is set up in a 9' X 9' spare bedroom.  Desk, mixer, PC, etc. are at one side of the room and I use a closet on the other side of the room for a vocal booth. (I open the door, put the mic in there so its poking out of the shirts, and it really cuts out all the reflection I got when just placing the mic in the middle of the small room.) This all sounds good, but the problem I'm having is trying to run my DAW and then get over to the mic to do a take. I set myself up for lots of lead time to physically get to the mic but this process is pretty monotonous and can really kill the vibe of the vocal.

Anything short of having a buddy engineer for me, are there any suggestions you guys have for me? What do you guys do when cutting vocals alone?

Thanks
Pete

Sonar X1 Studio, Win 10 64bit , Roland Quad-Capture, (Alesis MultiMix16 USB 2.0 , Zoom R16), M Audio KeyRig 49 USB controller ezDrummer, NI Studio Drummer, Groove Monkee MIDI loops, PODxt,

7 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Engineering while performing vocals... How to??? 2010/08/27 15:54:23 (permalink)
    I'm pretty close to the computer when I record anything.
    How long is your computer keyboard's cord? You can do just about everything you need to do using keyboard shortcuts; first arm a track, then you can begin recording by clicking the R button. Vocals not good? Ctrl Z deletes it, W rewinds, click R again.
    Lots of stuff you can do without sitting in front of the screen, if you can take your keyboard with you. Maybe a wireless keyboard?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Engineering while performing vocals... How to??? 2010/08/27 16:11:40 (permalink)
    Wireless mouse and keyboard?

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Engineering while performing vocals... How to??? 2010/08/27 22:41:22 (permalink)
    I use a numeric keypad with a long usb chord.  Seems to work well. You just have to map the numeric keys to the ones you typically use to punch in and do vocal takes. My keypad was rather inexpensive and works well.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Engineering while performing vocals... How to??? 2010/08/28 09:29:42 (permalink)
    Use the auto punch feature.  You set the start and ending points...and in reality... that can be as long as you need... from the very beginning of the vocals in a song to the end of the song.

Since most songs with vocals have about 13 to 15 seconds of introduction music... you have that amount of time from when you hit record until you need to be at the mic, ready to sing. The recording will start when the punch in point is reached and the recording will end at the punch out point. I use the Punch in/out feature a lot.  Just set the "roll tape" point 15 seconds or so before the punch in point and life becomes easy.

I also include in every project 2 measures of silence... actually it is the count in measures... so the music doesn't even start until M3..... and then I have the intro.....and I find that works well for me.

I'm with Greg... I am recording while seated or standing within a few feet of the DAW... I don't have any sort of vocal treatment in my room....and from time to time I even hold the mic in my hand as opposed to having it on a stand. No closets, no sound deadeners, just a room with all the noise from the neighborhood, cars, and whatever else decides to make noise..... Yesterday, I waited 30 seconds for the fire trucks to go on down the road a ways before I hit record.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mitchpetel
    Re:Engineering while performing vocals... How to??? 2010/08/28 10:18:52 (permalink)
    Tap

I use a numeric keypad with a long usb chord.  Seems to work well. You just have to map the numeric keys to the ones you typically use to punch in and do vocal takes. My keypad was rather inexpensive and works well.

Hey that sounds like a good solution. I checked the price of USB Extention cords and I can get a 10' one for about $10 CAN. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Sonar X1 Studio, Win 10 64bit , Roland Quad-Capture, (Alesis MultiMix16 USB 2.0 , Zoom R16), M Audio KeyRig 49 USB controller ezDrummer, NI Studio Drummer, Groove Monkee MIDI loops, PODxt,
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Engineering while performing vocals... How to??? 2010/08/29 15:50:33 (permalink)
    When doing Midi compositions, I've set up mine so that I can use the Numeric Keypad (Left hand) and Mouse ( Right hand ). I found that by doing this I could greatly improve the speed in which I edit.

The first key I map is   k -> [ Global options ] Key binding.

I set up the Numerics for commonly used mappings,

0 -> Track Properties
    7 -> [views] Track view
    8 -> [views] Console
    9 -> [views] Synth Rack
    4 -> [views] Piano Roll View
    5 -> [views] Event List
    6 -> [views] Staff View

up -> [Transport ] Play
    down -> [Transport ] Record
    home -> [Go] Beginning
    End -> [Go] End
    Left -> [Go] Previous Marker
    Right -> [Go]  Next Marker
    Alt Left -> [Go] Previous Measure
    Alt Right -> [Go] Next Measure

m -> [ Insert ] Marker
    l -> Loop On/Off

etc .... You'll probably just focus on the Transport properties but there are other possibilities as well.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

mitchpetel
    Re:Engineering while performing vocals... How to??? 2010/08/30 09:09:04 (permalink)
    Hey Tap,
    Thanks for this. This will get me rolling quickly!

Pete

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1