Enhance Simple Instrument Track to Accommodate MIDI Automation

Author
streckfus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 339
2016/03/10 12:52:34 (permalink)
5 (6)

Enhance Simple Instrument Track to Accommodate MIDI Automation

It would be really swell if, on a simple instrument track, a person could set up automation lanes for MIDI controllers, not just audio parameters.

I understand the current workaround is to either split the simple track into separate Audio & MIDI tracks and set up controller automation lanes on the MIDI track, OR to just start with separate tracks to begin with. But since the Simple Instrument Track exists (I would assume) to conserve real estate and make working with soft synths more efficient (thereby bypassing the need to set up MIDI/VSTi routing), locking you out of MIDI controller automation is definitely less efficient.

Since the Simple Track is in effect a unification of an MIDI track and an Audio track with all routing/connections being done behind the scenes, it would stand to reason that all of that behind-the-scenes information could still be accessed fairly easily with the interface. If making both Audio & MIDI automation accessible within a single automation lane would be a hassle (since it's technically treating it as an audio track at this point), perhaps adding another button/drop-down for MIDI automation would be feasible.

Sonar Platinum | Win 10 Pro/64-bit | Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 2400 RAM | ASUS Z170-AR | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS8s

2 Replies Related Threads

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Enhance Simple Instrument Track to Accommodate MIDI Automation 2016/03/10 13:45:19 (permalink)
    I haven't had the specific need so not sure if there's any alternative while still maintaining the SIT - which I use 90% of the time - but I've voted 'cause I like the idea.  

The other thought I had is maybe the ability to switch from Audio to MIDI in the TI and have that change what's available for automation.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

streckfus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 339
    Re: Enhance Simple Instrument Track to Accommodate MIDI Automation 2016/03/10 13:56:49 (permalink)
    stevec
    I haven't had the specific need so not sure if there's any alternative while still maintaining the SIT - which I use 90% of the time - but I've voted 'cause I like the idea.  

The other thought I had is maybe the ability to switch from Audio to MIDI in the TI and have that change what's available for automation.  

Yeah, when I use Pianoteq, Addictive Drums, etc. I have no need for such a thing. But once I got into the EWQL orchestral stuff, man. So much of that is dependent upon controller automation. To complicate matters, orchestral arrangements end up having high track counts because of the number of instruments and articulations/patches, which is where being able to keep them consolidated in Simple Instrument tracks would be a huge advantage.

I was watching an orchestration video somewhere out there in the interweb and the guy was selecting CC automation parameters directly from that DAW's version of a simple instrument track and I thought, "Man. Wish SONAR did that!"  Don't remember which DAW he was using...maybe Logic?

Sonar Platinum | Win 10 Pro/64-bit | Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 2400 RAM | ASUS Z170-AR | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS8s
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1