Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition]

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Rick McNab
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1047
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 21:08:34 (permalink)
I will consider it as time permits (need to devote time to learning Rapture, Traditional 18th Century Harmony and Counterpoint, and getting gigs to pay the bills). I will tell you that I am a very user-oriented person and I seek clarity and simplicity. So my editing would be towards those ends. Thus I say we start with connecting a MIDI controller and controlling cutoff frequency. That's a great start!
techead
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4353
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 22:18:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock
I need some web space. Badly. Right now, this is my format, and I've been told by a lot of folks that this is where I belong. They like the personalized answers on tap, even though they have to weed through other similarly targeted answers (and the jokes) to get to them. Web space allows me to upload graphics, sound examples, and do this thing up right, while retaining editing options for what I might've missed.

Hey, Tom, don't forget that there is plenty of web space available for formatted tutorials, graphics, and zipped media files at the fabulous Project5 Wiki due to the wonderful generosity and web programming skills of Mike West.

There is the new Great Add-On Softsynths section, you know.

-Techead
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 22:29:59 (permalink)
There is the new Great Add-On Softsynths section, you know.
No, Bob. I_did_not_know_that. I was just there! You must've just done this.
And here I was, waiting for the "Wiki Expansion" verdict to come through. I didn't want to voice my opinion, because there might just be a tinge of Rapture bias in that.

Problem solved. Thanks for the prep and the head-up. Now ... there's still one piece of the puzzle missing ... can't put my finger on it ...
Oh, yeah. Having Rapture here.
Rick McNab
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 23:31:22 (permalink)
B - I am against any venue where you don't have absolute control as administrator over who gets to use and/or alter your content. That's why I think a Yahoo! Group might be the solution, since you get ownership and administrator priviledges which you can delegate as you see fit. Does the P5 "wiki" have that?

From whatis.com

wiki
A wiki (sometimes spelled "Wiki") is a server program that allows users to collaborate in forming the content of a Web site. With a wiki, any user can edit the site content, including other users' contributions, using a regular Web browser. Basically, a wiki Web site operates on a principle of collaborative trust. The term comes from the word "wikiwiki," which means "fast" in the Hawaiian language.

A wiki allows a visitor to the "wikified" Web site to edit the content of the site from their own computer. Visitors can also create new content and change the organization of existing content. The simplest wiki programs allow editing of text and hyperlinks only. More advanced wikis make it possible to add or change images, tables, and certain interactive components such as games.

A wiki provides a simplified interface. At any time, contributors can conveniently view the Web page as it looks to other subscribers, before and after the changes they have made. It is not necessary to know HTML (hypertext markup language) or perform work in HTML code. The best known example of a wiki Web site is Wikipedia, an online dictionary building collaboration.
techead
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4353
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 23:51:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Rick McNab

B - I am against any venue where you don't have absolute control as administrator over who gets to use and/or alter your content. That's why I think a Yahoo! Group might be the solution, since you get ownership and administrator priviledges which you can delegate as you see fit. Does the P5 "wiki" have that?

Tom has contributed some articles to the P5 Wiki in the past. Mike West is the P5 Wiki SysOp and he donates time, programming, cpu cycles, and storage space on his custom servers. The community of Project5 users contributes the content--mostly by copying from the forums--and organizes it nicely into the Wiki. The strength of the Wiki is the fact that there is no one absolute ruler over its content (other than the SysOp--ala Mike)--which is great for a community driven resource. In contrast, a Yahoo Group is far more controlled by an individual or minority group.

Basically, the Project5 Wiki preverses and organizes the spirit of these forums where we have free exchange of ideas but it also gives us all the ability to continually improve the content. As far as control, the Wiki can notify an author of changes to his pages and he can freely revert the changes if he desires. It is self-policing in this way and is as good a resource as the community makes it. Also, the Wiki can be used as a pointer to outside resources--so Tom could host a PDF document elsewhere (like on my website where we keep PDF versions of his Psyntology tutorials and Extreme SFX tutorials) where he is in command of the PDF file's content.
lawapa
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 23:59:22 (permalink)
What I have seen of the wiki leads me to think it has to be the place to go with questions. Really comprehensive.
whitefalcon
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/22 01:19:05 (permalink)
Rene, did you ever do any programing similar to the moog, or mini moog or Arp synths?
I am realizing as cool as those synths were they were old generation and what we see as possibilities in Rapture is as you say the next generation in synths.
whitefalcon
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/22 01:31:32 (permalink)
Doesn't matter. I do it because I love to. It's fun, it sharpens my chops, and there's a bit of a thrill with riding on the edge without knowing if you're right or wrong. And the feedback that I get returned from that tells me that other people consider it valuable, too. I'm at a crossroads with this writing stuff, Rick. Let's see what comes of it. In the meantime, ask away.

Keep doing things the way you do now. The way you enjoy it. If you start using check lists etc its not fun any more its work... And then you think to yourself. Why the *&(*& am I doing this so you may eventually not even want to. So the moral of the story is just keep wriring in your casual style and enjoy it..
Tom thats my advice...
Rick McNab
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/22 04:40:59 (permalink)
I guess the only thing I'm concerned with is that once all of the hard work is completed, the tutorial should be accessible in its complete form without interruption from various commentators, and certainly not editable by the general community at large. Otherwise what's the point?

While I agree that one's personal style is important, I can't say that I agree with not "disturbing" it by imposing some editing and organization skills on it. Any good movie director, and these are some of the most creative guys on the planet, will tell you how important editing and continuity is to a great final product. These guys shoot tons of extra footage that gets edited down to the tight final cut. That's all I'm talking about. Not squelching someone's personal style.
post edited by Rick McNab - 2006/02/22 04:52:17
Paradroid
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/22 06:28:13 (permalink)
If the SFZ Geek would hold still long enough, maybe I can catch a glimpse of what he's playing.

The geek is playing with his Ma & Pa's 20 y/o Toshiba idiot box (they got a newie!), trying very hard to get the fuzz & crackle out of the ABC before the 7:30 pm news comes on. Sorry, no “analog chic” here! Just a girlfriend with a digital camera and a belief that a holding page like Chad's just “isn't cool enough”. Personally, I think Chad's is way cooler… (meanwhile, my girlfriend is asking what René's favourite colour is…) Anyway, with the ping-pong bats gathering dust, it looks like it's the Geeks vs. the Renegades. Everyone wins, mind you.

As for Chad's stab at granular in sfz, well, I ignored the warning about cranking CC1 and managed to seize my laptop one stop before getting off the train home!No time to stop the digital bubble bath, just hit Hibernate and will pay the price in the morning. Trust me, the new guy at Cakewalk is a sicko, folks.

Now, as for my own granular thingie, it ain't as cool as Chad's, but I got that thing up while the vibe was fresh. What happened, B? I even made that .rar small enough to fit through a telephone wire.

Aside from all that, it's great to have such top blokes hangin' over at Instruments theze dayz. Fun times ahead…
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1